General From a 127 to this..

Currently reading:
General From a 127 to this..

The Prodigal

This thread follows my introductory one on Newbies Central.

So after years of desiring a little soft top for fun in the sun, I began my search in earnest before Christmas, when I finally got the nod from my wonderful wife.

I have to confess I only had eyes for the Z3, and test drove one. I was very disappointed. The handling felt heavy (my Passat estate is lighter to drive), and I didn’t get that thrill that I was hoping for from a roadster. It just seemed like an ordinary car but with less seats.

My love for the Italian motor started when I was about 20, and, after I had abused a little Fiat 127 until it died far too prematurely (I was young), an Alfa Spider (late 70s model) appeared in a local showroom. I went as far as sitting in it for size, and showing it to my parents to see what they thought of the idea. I was somewhat alarmed however when the trader came down from £8000 to about £4000 fairly quickly. A check in the boot revealed some rust, and I walked away from what on the surface looked like a beautiful thing.

I must have banged on about this experience years later to my wife, and for my 40th birthday she hired us a Alfa Spider for a day, and we drove around the Cotswolds with the top down in the sunshine. That was 2 and a half years ago, and I was hooked.

Back to the present, and I can’t remember when I first thought it, but I suddenly noticed the Barchetta, and started to seriously think about it (having said that, I watched the Boxing Day Top Gear, and even then the Barchetta didn’t register with me, because I was watching the Z3, and test drove the Z3 subsequent to watching the programme). But as I surfed various sites for the right car at the right price, the Barchetta rose to the surface as the obvious choice. I test drove one in Bristol, and when I drove it, the experience I had had in the Alfa (and was sadly lacking in the Z3) came back to me– exactly the sensation I was looking for from a roadster.

So anyway, the Bristol one needed a little too much attention for me (no experience fixing cars) so I’ve finally got a 2004 model in black, and picked it up two weekends ago. I’m still in the honeymoon period, and keep sneaking into the garage (which happily has direct access from our hallway) when my wife’s back is turned.

Unfortunately the service history is scant; there is no evidence of cambelt or variator changes (get me!), or even oil filter/oil change, just several ‘services’ stamped in a book, and in some cases not even dated.

I am therefore assuming that with 51,000 on the clock, these are things I should get looked at/changed as a matter of urgency (I should add that I drove it for 2.5 hours home when I bought it, and it ran beautifully).

As with a lot of newbies first threads, I end with saying that any advice is gratefully received! (I just noticed Blackydog’s thread on a similar vein)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Prodi...

First welcome to the forum and after reading your post I'm pleased that you settled on buying a Barchetta... they are wonderfull cars.. always brings a smile to my face when I drive her..

with a 7 year old car and 51K on the clock I would not make my next trip to a service centre as I would expect time / milage service schedules to be a guide with quite a lot of tolerence...

But I would look at it as something that needed to be done in the not too distant future, just for piece of mind...

I bought my 99B about 3-4 years ago and like you I had no service history.. So my first job was cambelt, waterpump etc.... I did not change the variator and now wish that I had as it sounds like a massy fergusen when I first start her up... :eek:

I know what you mean about the german cars not feeling right... I keep feeling that I should have a mid life crisis and buy a 911 or Z4 but when I look closely at them they are not the car for me... I don't like the "german perfect engineering" or the image thet they represent...

On the other hand I do like the exclusiveness of the Barchetta. Fortunatly here the steering wheel is on the correct side... :)

There is a wealth of information on this site... Even if your no mechanic... take time to read it all... and make sure you download the manuals for the car. (even if you are not going to do the work yourself you will at least know if the garage is doing the work correctly..... plus you may be inspired to do some of the work yourself...

Anyway hope all works out for you and your new "B"

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm getting a full service next Fri and a nice shiny exhaust next Saturday (the existing and I assume original one is very tatty) so the next time after that the sun shines I'll be out for a photo shoot.

Just need to decide on single or twin exhaust. The original is twin so think I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm getting a full service next Fri and a nice shiny exhaust next Saturday (the existing and I assume original one is very tatty) so the next time after that the sun shines I'll be out for a photo shoot.

Just need to decide on single or twin exhaust. The original is twin so think I'm gonna go with that.

Have a look at post 276 on my Bumbles Bee thread. I had a new exhaust built last year and the technician spent a long time to recreate the twin tail pipe look to match the original.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that. Looks really good and is the look I am hoping for. One of these days I'll have to read that whole thread! Better than any manual?

I'm going to Longlife in Wiltshire for the exhaust (They have workshops all over the country I think). They say I can discuss and choose the tail pipe before they fit, so hopefully they will have something similar that they can fit rather more quickly than six hours!

Tim

I know exactly what you mean!! My dad used to have a 65 MG B, I almost bought a mint 69 TR6 when I lived in the USA from a guy in Canada, all of these card my B reminded me of to some extent. Like a modern version of a 71 Alfa Romeo Spider a friend used to have. At first I thought the front wheel drive would be an issue for me but it isn't! The car is pure joy to drive!!

I've tried the BMW M Roadster, etc. They are not the same to drive!!

Back