Free stuff

Currently reading:
Free stuff

We have two pink barrows…think I’ll be going to the local atheist (non denominational) place, where there’s no embalming, you, and the box, have to be biodegradable and you get shoved in and a native tree planted on you

"Brown bread? sorry Mike, not familiar with that". Cockney rhyming slang from my mum, brown bread = dead as in "popped his clogs" Jock;).
Mum came from the poor end of London and Dad from posher end Wimbledon at the time.
Dad died at 48 so I was looking over my shoulder when I got to that age and mum around 72, both with cancer after two long years, it may sound bad but a quick? heart attack I would prefer personally. Nearest I got to it was when I took one of my daughters to the GP and after checking her he asked when I had last had blood pressure check, he found 160/ something, cutting salt cured the red face and out of breath symptoms and that was 20 years ago.
Re the Crem, reminds me when welding jobs got out of hand and saying "I don't mind being cremated but would prefer to be dead first";)

"Brown bread? sorry Mike, not familiar with that". Cockney rhyming slang from my mum, brown bread = dead as in "popped his clogs" Jock;).
Mum came from the poor end of London and Dad from posher end Wimbledon at the time.
Dad died at 48 so I was looking over my shoulder when I got to that age and mum around 72, both with cancer after two long years, it may sound bad but a quick? heart attack I would prefer personally. Nearest I got to it was when I took one of my daughters to the GP and after checking her he asked when I had last had blood pressure check, he found 160/ something, cutting salt cured the red face and out of breath symptoms and that was 20 years ago.
Re the Crem, reminds me when welding jobs got out of hand and saying "I don't mind being cremated but would prefer to be dead first";)
Ah, brown bread - dead. Like Apples and pears - stairs, yes I get it now. Something you very rarely hear up here.

Wimbledon brings back memories. When I went to the college in Chelsea to learn about motor mechanics my first digs were a room, a very small room, in a flat in Wimbledon with a lovely family who looked after me very well. I remember the not very imaginative cooking, but healthy and sustaining. I also remember the evening study which you had to do to keep up with the course. Many hours of researching and note taking in that wee room. This meant keeping the light on well into the night sometimes and then I was expected to put an extra 0.50p into the meter. I came across my old college notes the other day and just can't bring myself to throw them out.

I'd like to go quickly too, without knowing it's coming. My Dad had heart problems for many years and we all thought it likely he'd die of it. However it was a stroke which actually got him in the end. Mum had left him in the living room in his arm chair to make the tea and when she came back through he'd gone. That would do me.

They used to rent in those days but my grandad had a big house in Holland Park Wimbledon with a kiln in the back garden as he bought into the Martin Brothers Pottery as in Martinware through one of the sons, but that is another story, sadly what ever money was once there never trickled our way.;)

Back