Folding Trailer

Currently reading:
Folding Trailer

I purchased an old folding trailer from a friend today with the intention of selling it on but I'm fascinated by how it folds and comes apart. It's in pretty good condition and has a max load capacity of 300kg, plus it packs away easily into the boot of our Stilo Multiwagon. I've never seen anything like it and can't find anything online similar to it.

Does this look familiar to anyone, I'd like to know who manufactured it.

Attachments

• P1030380.JPG
    P1030380.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • P1030381.JPG
    P1030381.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
taken them off and checked the covers?
just anything what might indicate months and years.
would give a clue
it could be a custom build.

looking at some of the welds it looks custom.
the rust on the corners of the bars.

but the paltes don't look

Last edited:
I've looked everywhere, nothing relating to a manufacturer or a build date. I suppose its plate may have been removed but there's nothing indidcating there was one. Its too well designed and fabricated to be a 1 off, has to be a production model from some manufacturer.

just to check one last time.
taken the lights out.
and looked around them for any number inside and out.

just off for somthing not to have a number.

no plate?
how do you know about the 300kg?

Last edited:
I've just found a small sticker inside the light behind the reflector.

It has ENGLAND C.E.P. written on it. I'm sure I've heard of C.E.P. I think they make lights for HGV.

Edit.
The friend I brought it off said he's sure its rated at 300kg. The suspension units are identical to my old trailer so he's probabely right, although my old trailer was rated at 350kg.

Last edited:
Folding? I think you should rename the thread to "Unbolt it and take it all apart Trailer. ;)

There are no bolts to remove. Everything folds, as you fold away one part it unlocks another, very clever design.

Example
Pull out the center side bars and it allows the sides to be folded away.

Fold away the sides and it allows the base to be folded away.

Fold the base and it allows the wheels and hitch to be removed.

Last edited:
From your pics, it looks home-made to me. The wheels, mud guards, hubs and suspension are the same as those available in a "trailer kit". The hitch looks old being cast iron, may even be an old 2 inch coupling rather than a 50mm one.

The lights and reflectors are standard general purpose trailer ones so not going to help identifying it.

Is the box and/or hinges spot welded?

Pretty much any trailer you buy will have the same "trailer kit" parts because most manufactures use off the shelf parts.

Its well made, someone had access to a very good set of tools if it is "homemade".

All the hinges on the base and sides are spot welded.
The sides and base have press tool marks on them.

The lights and reflectors are not a normal set of trailer lights that you can use on any trailer, lighting bar locks into place just like everything else.

My friend thinks its 15 to 20 years old, it belonged to his father(deceased).

Last edited:
Do you have a pic of it ready to go sort of thing?

I love this sort of thing :eek: and trailers in general I must be some kind of nutter :confused:(y)

My friend flat packed it so I could put it in the boot of the car, didn't fancy sitting at 50mph on the motorway towing an empty trailer.

As soon as I get chance I'll set it up and take a few photo's. (y)

I'm not entirely sure it's designed as a 'folding' trailer per se. There used to be a camping firm in Hipperholme (near Halifax) that sold similar. You bought it as a flat pack & assembled it yourself when you got home (or it was delivered like that), it was simply designed to allow retaillers to bulk buy (easy storage) and for mail order.

Although I could be completely wrong :D
Edit: - seems I could be completely wrong...

Last edited:
I built the trailer back up this morning and took a few photo's. Here it is, has a little surface rust here and there but as it 15 to 20 years old I think its in pretty good condition. My father-in-law has offered to spray it for me. :D

I used it to take 18 slabs to the tip this morning, each slab must have wieghed atleast 15kg. It coped easily with the weight and behaved itself when being towed at 40mph.

Overal length is 2000mm, internal dimensions are 1125mm x 1125mm x 380mm.

So has anyone seen anything like it before?

Do you think I should sell it or is it a keeper?

Edit.
Its just been sugested to me by my neighbour(he's 72) that it may be older than 20 years and be Military as the lights look like they could of been fitted at a later date?

Attachments

• Image0032.jpg
    Image0032.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Image0033.jpg
    Image0033.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Image0034.jpg
    Image0034.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Image0035.jpg
    Image0035.jpg