General fitting dayrunning lights

Currently reading:
General fitting dayrunning lights

antyfreda

i want to fit some day lights on my 1.3, where the spots are for some, but i do not have any, where do you think i should take the live feed from please anyone.:cool:

Side lights maybe then take out side light bulbs as the dlrl replace them.

no the DRL's must be kept separate from the other lights.......

does your panda have an illuminated ring round the fag lighter? if so i would use that as the switching source and relay it

IIRC the DRL's have to go off when the normal lights are turned on this requires a second relay to remove the power to the DRL's the input signal to pull the relay i would use a link onto the live side light supply

i would assume they come with a wiring diagram

Last edited:
no the DRL's must be kept separate from the other lights.......

does your panda have an illuminated ring round the fag lighter? if so i would use that as the switching source and relay it

IIRC the DRL's have to go off when the normal lights are turned on this requires a second relay to remove the power to the DRL's the input signal to pull the relay i would use a link onto the live side light supply

i would assume they come with a wiring diagram
thanks guys, forgot to say they are LED, so very little power drain,the problem with connecting to side lights are the rear lights are on too,i plan to mount them where the fog lights should be, 7 LED's in line,the cig light sounds good, and i would not think i would need to rely them ? but i would love to use power nearer,don't think the destructions will say a lot ? had a thought on the horn, but that is on all the time !

Have a poke about in the under bonnet fuse box. There must be an ignition switched feed in there somewhere.

As mentioned they need to go off when headlights are turned on to comply with DRL regulations.

Alternativly you could purchase a decent set of DRLs with an automatic switching unit included for about £40-£60 off of eBay etc.

Have a poke about in the under bonnet fuse box. There must be an ignition switched feed in there somewhere.

As mentioned they need to go off when headlights are turned on to comply with DRL regulations.

Alternativly you could purchase a decent set of DRLs with an automatic switching unit included for about £40-£60 off of eBay etc.

Or..................just always drive with your lights on like I have for the past 20+ years. Then you'll get all the helpful folks flashing you to tell you have your lights on.

One thing that's always irritated me about hire cars abroad (Fords) is the fact that you have to switch the lights off when leaving the car. FIATs have never done that thankfully.

Oh dear did not know they have to go OFF when the headlights come on....poooo...don't think the spanish police, [we have 4 different ones, all of them here, on this little island] will know that ??? this is now getting more complicated.....poooo......pooo...pooo:bang:

Oh dear did not know they have to go OFF when the headlights come on....poooo...don't think the spanish police, [we have 4 different ones, all of them here, on this little island] will know that ??? this is now getting more complicated.....poooo......pooo...pooo:bang:

I suspect they will with the new regulations regarding DRLs on all newly designed cars from Feb 2011.

You just need a single pole normally closed relay that opens the DRL circuit when the headlights are turned on.

i would assume just connecting them to the side lights would trigger the Bulb failure warning system on the car (if fitted)

just sketched you these out if they are of any use this is how i would wire them in

your going to need a 4 way and a 5 way automotive relay

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=delegate&n=1277&g=8382&s=relay

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

should be a fuse in between the battery and pin 30 of the right hand relay appropriate for what you are wiring in BTW i forgot :O

Last edited:
well i am very impressed..but the stop lights bit, puzzels me ? you saying, i can't cut into the headlamp feed on its own.

Last edited:
well i am very impressed..but the stop lights bit, puzzels me ? you saying, i can't cut into the headlamp feed on its own.

Stop light?

do you mean the bulb failure warning? its known that any alteration to the original wiring can upset the cars computer putting a warning / alert message/ light on the dash board by altering the load on a circuit the computer thinks there is a fault with the lighting and thinks there is an error and puts this light on:

BULB JPG.JPG

dont think it covers the headlights (i know it doesn't on my punto)

if you put them on the headlights they will then only work with the headlights which is a bit pointless if your after day time running lights you might as well just drive with your headlamps on

and by using a relay you are keeping the circuits separate so if your DRL's have a fault it doesn't blow your headlight fuses and leave you in the dark ;)

Last edited:
Bulb Failure covers parking lights / sidelights but not headlights.

I'd first off find that ignition switched live in the engine bay fuse box.

OP are you fitting propper DRLs or those silly styling LEDs? Have you already purchased them because if not getting these will be so much easier.

Ring BRL0397
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Ring-Auro...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb4a9133d

I'm running these on 2 of our cars and you only need to tap one wiring into the cars wiring loom and the automatic switching unit it comes with does the rest.

DSCF0406.JPG

IMG00516-20100320-1534.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
For gods sake, please throw them in the bin and forget the whole idea...

Why waste time and money fitting these ridiculous abominations to a car that was blessed to have been born without them?

Why follow these stupid fads invented by meddling bureaucrats for their own self-justifiction? If your car didn't have this pointless garbage imposed upon it when it was made, be thankful not apologetic.

Our roads are becoming blighted with big pushy, shouty German cars driving around in broad daylight with white lights blazing away in front of them, why would you want to make a cute Panda look as annoying and pathetic?

Don't give in to the self-righteous safety brigade!!!!

You've obviously not had some idiot So very nearly kill two of your family members in a nasty head on accident because they 'wernt seen' in broad daylight!

I couldn't give a damn about what's on German cars and the fact is have been running DRLs long before the majority of them ;)

In what way are they rediculos abominations?

For gods sake, please throw them in the bin and forget the whole idea...

Why waste time and money fitting these ridiculous abominations to a car that was blessed to have been born without them?

Why follow these stupid fads invented by meddling bureaucrats for their own self-justifiction? If your car didn't have this pointless garbage imposed upon it when it was made, be thankful not apologetic.

Our roads are becoming blighted with big pushy, shouty German cars driving around in broad daylight with white lights blazing away in front of them, why would you want to make a cute Panda look as annoying and pathetic?

Don't give in to the self-righteous safety brigade!!!!

I must admit to finding DRL's about the same as front foglights, utterly pointless.

I just think that all it is is the latest fashion accessory for cars. No doubt it will become like the stupidly pointless front foglights, give it a few years and every car will have them I guess.

Hateful things. (n)

The trouble is MEP, fitting DRL's is no guarantee of increased safety really.

The trouble is MEP, fitting DRL's is no guarantee of increased safety really.

Similar could be said for airbags etc though. Although I agree with the front foglamp statement, DRLs on the other hand I do find beneficial. Especially when fitted to other cars that have drivers who do not operate their lights in rain or fog for example.

Having fitted them you do notice less people cutting you up out of junctions etc. Both myself and dad have noticed this in the few years we've been running them for now.

never felt the need to turn the drl's off on my 500, at worst they cause no harm, though I agree that the led ones can be a bit blinding.

People who have fitted them because they want to 'be seen' - why not run with your headlamps permanently on? Fiats' headlights turn off with the ignition, all you have to do is leave it in the 'on' position. You can be seen from the rear then too.

People who have fitted them because they want to 'be seen' - why not run with your headlamps permanently on? Fiats' headlights turn off with the ignition, all you have to do is leave it in the 'on' position. You can be seen from the rear then too.

I tend to agree, but aftermarket DRL's don't hurt :)

I think compulsory DRL's on new cars are definitely a good idea, there are too many plonkers running around with no lights on or sidelights on at dusk because they think sidelights make them visible, or they think that if they can see then other road users can see them which is simply not true.

As for being seen from the rear, that's not such an issue due to closing speed, if you're doing 70 and coming up behind a car doing 50 then that's only a closing speed of 20mph whereas if the other car is doing 50 in your direction it's 120mph and everything happens in 1/6th of the time.

I'm glad we live in a world where the government doesn't just stand still when it comes to safety and we also have people who want to make their cars safer for all :)

Back