Tuning Fiorino tuning

Currently reading:
Tuning Fiorino tuning

So I now have three potential buyers for the van (even though she's not for sale) a potential swap for ma much newer van (that thanks to Thantcham costs less to insure) and I'm a little unsure about the 1.7D as far as tuning goes.

I can not stand the smell of Diesel. I'm supposed to be running Biodiesel but there's nowhere local that sell it and I don't want to run chip fat because VOSA patrols have an annoying habit of pulling smokey vans over and charging people for the privilege.

Three options.

Keep the van.
Sell the van and get something with a proper engine.
Swap the van.

Decisions eh?

Get something with a proper engine would be a Fiorino in Mansfield that has the 1342 petrol engine. The very same engine that I had in my rally car so I know how bloody quick they can be and how to make them bloody quick to. A bit of a cheat as this was supposed to be an experiment into the dark world of Diesel but until they do something about the smell of the stuff I'll not be converted.

Swerve to avoid a pot hole and "BANG!"

The front valence suspension mount has gone and the passenger side front wheel is an inch back. :bang:

I guess that'd be what the M.O.T guy meant by front subframe. I'll have a look for a new valence in the morning. ;)

Fiorino

FxEQ3Rae.jpg

I'm not surprised the mount failed at all. There was only half an inch of weld holding it on and the rest was filler and clear silicone (for a change instead of black Tiger Seal).

I needed to get home so I used a tow strap and a post to push the van straight and held it with bailing wire.

lQvExBy0.jpg

Good enough to get me home and the van still handled better than a Mondeo.

Fixed now with a seam weld all the way round. :)

Until I can get hold of the right parts to do it properly that is.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This adventure continues. The brake hose clamp failed (due to corrosion) and the hose split on the rim with a couple of miles to go.

gq4DBFjS.jpg

:rolleyes:

Thankfully my Panda hose is a straight swap so in no time at all...

i5dFosjL.jpg

...the bleed nipple sheered off. :bang:

In the recorded history of mankind there has never been an instant where a sheered bleed nipple has been successfully removed from a brake caliper; so a little ahead of schedule...

HBK3AmpX.jpg

...Punto GT calipers and Cinquecento conversion discs. :slayer:

So new shoes?

gcDffrxw.jpg

The Strada wheels need 20mm spacers. :(

FoVTktEa.jpg

So Punto GT wheels for the time being. ;)

The shed surface rust will wear away in no time and already the brakes feel a lot better than the standard ones.

Fiorino

Typical old car bodge...

dTcdhJD9.jpg

...nearly new-ish pads one side...

LO49mHrl.jpg

...nearly completely knackered ones the other side. :rolleyes:

New pads on the way and my old Fantasia discs will do for now. I just need to drill and retap the nipple hole.

Fiorino

The sliders don't slide if they're rusty and covered in crap. I have been known to make my own out of mirror polished Stainless Steel. ;)

Is Teflon more heat resistant?

The Punto wheels drop straight on with the longer Punto studs being the only requirement. The rear drums are massive so I doubt fitting the GT rear disc would make much if any difference.

Fiorino

That's it! The other bloody nipple has sheered off now. :bang:

I'm off to the scrap yard to see if MkII Punto calipers are a match.

I'm not keeping my rally car brakes on there if the van's sold.

Experimenting with Biodiesel.

Ten litres of diesel and five litres of sunflower oil (£6 or two for £9 from Tesco) and the van took longer to warm up, ran lumpier than normal, smoked a lot more than normal, ran at a lower temperature, quicker pick up and smelled nicer.

I won't bother again the van was rough as when I used V-Power.

Fiorino

Look...

sa1CcSUm.jpg

...the log book is right...

a60oLfQz.jpg

...the van is red. :slayer:

Rudely awoken on a night shift transition day so I used my temper, an old t'shirt and some t-cut creatively. ;)

Back