Technical Fiat Uno - rear wheel skid

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Uno - rear wheel skid

Yes, the MOT tester mentioned the extra weight in the driver's seat could make a difference though whether that accounts for a 19% imbalance is another matter. Tyres are all new on four wheels now. There would be an art to braking hard in an emergency stop without inducing a skid (as things stand).

Chamfering the leading edges of brake shoes was something I encountered back in the day with an old 1982 Mini to reduce brake squeal (with minimal success), as it seemed more dependent on composition of shoe material (some brands being harder than others).

Yes, the MOT tester mentioned the extra weight in the driver's seat could make a difference though whether that accounts for a 19% imbalance is another matter. Tyres are all new on four wheels now. There would be an art to braking hard in an emergency stop without inducing a skid (as things stand).

Chamfering the leading edges of brake shoes was something I encountered back in the day with an old 1982 Mini to reduce brake squeal (with minimal success), as it seemed more dependent on composition of shoe material (some brands being harder than others).
It definitely worked on some cars, it has to be on the leading edge and around a couple of cms to nothing.
With regards to brake squeal on the 1980s Mini that may have been to do with the material composition as they were going away from asbestos linings, I know especially on brake pads it was a choice of pads that squealed, lasted a long time but didn't stop, or were quiet, wore out quickly, stopped well , but covered the wheels with brake dust.
In my opinion it was only Ferodo that got it right back then.:)

Back