General Fiat stilo 52reg JTD starting problems also power issues

Currently reading:
General Fiat stilo 52reg JTD starting problems also power issues

Carrr0509

Hi new to fiats and new too the JTD engines( always had petrols)
Having a few problems with my fiat stilo JTD first one is when starting from cold it really doesn't like starting in the morning's feels like a fuel problem because if I pump pedal few dozen times while cranking its seems to just about come to life but I really notice a large amount of white smoke from the exhaust and engine compartment( maybe N/S) when it fires/ cranking.

Problem 2 is if I accelerate from any speed/ gear whenever I get to 2800(roughly) RPM while accelerating hard I get my red engine light come on but when I take foot off the pedal most of the time it goes out.

As I'm new to fiats and the JTD engines any help would be great

I've seen the same things happen when a friend used some crap fuel in his JTD. Fortunately he didn't put much in so he filled up with Shell V-Power Diesel and took the car out for a good run, wasn't long before the smoke disapeared and the power came back.

You could be right, it may be fuel related, try filling her up with some quality fuel first.

ive recently had some starting problems and a bit of smoke. im giving her a service inculding fuel filter.

Im not sure but i was looking at getting some new glow plugs to, maybe this may help the starting in the mornings.

No smoke while driving its only when starting after cranking for so long get smoke from rear but also from engine compartment

Bump

As this problem is really a pain in the mornings before work.

Check glow plugs/relay if you have white smoke whilst cranking. JTD should start within 1/10 second of engaging starter if all is OK. If it doesn't then you must certainly check out the glow plug control system.
I'm pretty sure that throttle position has no influence on starting since its "fly-by-wire" & the accelerator potentiometer readings are fed to the ECU which ignores them for startup. (This may not be true for the JTD but it is certainly true for the predecessor TD engines which are the only ones I ever had any starting problems with - turned out to be a partially blocked fuel pickup in that case)

As the car seems to be newly purchased by yourself and as you say you are seeing smoke/exhaust from the engine bay, I would check the EGR & EGR pipework. It's entirely possible that a previous owner has had work done on the EGR, fitted a blanking plate in the EGR pipework and a gasket was over-looked or gasket sealant wasn't used and so it is now leaking exhaust gases.

I've had the same problem (2). My egr valve had a blanking plate - a piece of sardine tin. You can imagine how well that worked. Soon after I bought the car this 'blanking plate' started to rust and holes started to appear and resulted in a reduction in power. I fixed this problem by removing the plate and fitting a new solenoid in the egr housing. I still have the engine light come on at about 2800revs and have been running the car like it for over a year. I fitted a new fuel filter and no change. I have run the car with fuel additives no change. I get lots of smoke every now and again which improves after a long run on the motorway. The handbook says its and injection problem. I'm now up to 100k miles and don't have any money to spend needlessly. Luckily starts great first time even at -10 degrees C.

To a slightly different degree mine was doing something similar, and my egr valve was sticking, I cleaned it all up, got it working and then blanked it off.
Sorted, although I think its a little thirstier since????
Mine never even needs the heater plugs, it just fires up on the button

I've had the same problem (2). My egr valve had a blanking plate - a piece of sardine tin. You can imagine how well that worked. Soon after I bought the car this 'blanking plate' started to rust and holes started to appear and resulted in a reduction in power. I fixed this problem by removing the plate and fitting a new solenoid in the egr housing. I still have the engine light come on at about 2800revs and have been running the car like it for over a year. I fitted a new fuel filter and no change. I have run the car with fuel additives no change. I get lots of smoke every now and again which improves after a long run on the motorway. The handbook says its and injection problem. I'm now up to 100k miles and don't have any money to spend needlessly. Luckily starts great first time even at -10 degrees C.

Try installing a proper plate:

Blanking plate.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-blank...UZUKI-1-9-ALFA-1-9-2-4-CADALLAC-/110806067098

Or:

Restictor plate.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve...-1-9-2-4-JTD-JTDM-SAAB-1-9-CDTI-/110813703853

If things improve its your EGR thats causing the problem, probably not closing correctly due to a build up of crap in the actual valve, common problem.

Leave the plates in or remove and clean the EGR(valve, not solenoid).

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back