Technical Fiat Stilo 1.6 Cutting off, no errors, engine light on, price

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Stilo 1.6 Cutting off, no errors, engine light on, price

Andreas55

Hello to everyone!!
Spend ages to get reasonable answers with issue above.
Full story: Car started to juddering and cut off more frequently and I decided to get diagnostic done. Diagnostic revealed that two coils are misfiring, get them changed. All together spend £50 for diagnostic and £60 for both coils. Have been told should work fine now. After one day it started to do the same thing again, give a call to garage and arranged another diagnostic for free, have been told no errors and computer needed to be reset, it was done. After a day car started to cut off again and engine management light appears constantly on dashboard, engine is cutting off when on junctions or in a traffic (low revs) revs do not jump, stays on one level about 800 and then suddenly to 0 revs.

If there is no errors, could it be a throttle body, air filter or anything else? Was cleaning a throttle body no effect at all. Fumes are normal same as other cars (grayish).

If any one have a clue what it could be please give me advice, as well as the price which garage can charge me for the work. Can't afford be without a car for a long time...

Thanks

It could be quit similar post, hovewer the issues I red about are different...

Need your advice..

I don't know of you've tried cleaning your Inlet control valve but mine was juddering and stalling and I tried this yesterday and It worked amazingly! There's a guide to it on this forum

I don't know of you've tried cleaning your Inlet control valve but mine was juddering and stalling and I tried this yesterday and It worked amazingly! There's a guide to it on this forum

I pulled back the tube to access the butterfly valve, but I was unable to open or push the flap as guide recommend. I tried to push it but it stayed solid and didn't move. Do I need to apply more force to open it? Can I brake it this way?

Mine was same I put a soft cloth over a flat head screw driver an pushed it open from the top. The top pushes in and the bottom comes out. But I didn't push really hard or open it up loads just enough to clean it

Thanks

Manage to clean throttle body properly, inside was quite dirty. After the cleaning engine cut off few times but on third time engine management light disappeared. Mystic.

Any other ideas what can be done if no error codes? And how expensive will be to repair!?

Thanks

Manage to clean throttle body properly, inside was quite dirty. After the cleaning engine cut off few times but on third time engine management light disappeared. Mystic.

Any other ideas what can be done if no error codes? And how expensive will be to repair!?

There will be error codes if you've got the engine management light.

Something not adding up here.

There will be error codes if you've got the engine management light.

Something not adding up here.

There is no fault codes when I done diagnostic...

Today when I done a sharp fast turn engine switched off and I suspect that it could be loose sensor somewhere!? Is it possible?

Does anybody know how to resolve this problem or it is time to go to scrapyard?

Does anybody know how to resolve this problem or it is time to go to scrapyard?

Have you had a search on here? I assume not, as this issue is well documented and you'd have most of the answers you'd want / need. Its for this reason no-one running through this at length, because its a common problem which comes up almost weekly on the 1.6's and people are a tad fed up with it.

Have you had a search on here? I assume not, as this issue is well documented and you'd have most of the answers you'd want / need. Its for this reason no-one running through this at length, because its a common problem which comes up almost weekly on the 1.6's and people are a tad fed up with it.

I have done and a lot! And the cases I found here do not answer my questions.. If there is error codes, then problem can be defined and fixed, but in my case no error codes as a result I don't know where to look at. Changing every single part/device in a car and think that problem MAY Be resolved is not an option...

when the ecu gets faulty it drops out so quickly it can't even store fault codes - no codes does not mean there are no faults in this case, as already mentioned these ecu problems are quite common on the 1.6 Stilo's....

Hi Mate , I don't want to sound rude but there is plenty of threads with the same issue. A bit or research would have given you the answer.

I had the same problem on my 1.8. I went to FIAT they charge me £50 to tell me it was a Variable Timing problem and quoted my £1500! Got it done with another mechanic (Timing Belt + Water Pump + Variable Time unit) £500 Incl labour.

1 day Later - SAME Problem!

I built a Touchscreen Computer inside the Stilo and Connected it to the ECU and monitored all the sensors while driving. I have managed to catch the MAF sensor playing up. Replaced it, Cost me £20 PROBLEM SOLVED!

Now what you need to do is:

Clean you throttle body properly (Take the whole unit out) do not take the actual sensor out as you may damage the sensor, if you move or touch the thin metal wires, you will change the resistance and give the ECU the wrong value and make everything worse) Clean the butterfly. There is a thread on here to show you how to do it. And use contact cleaner for the solution.

If the problem doesn't solve it do the Following:
Ignition off , Unplug the connector that connects to the top sensor (MAF) of your throttle body . Start the your engine and let it run for 15 mins and DO NOT REV THE ENGINE.

Now the engine will calibrate itself and run on emergency settings, it will work out how much air/fuel ratio reading based on the electronic throttle position. In this case if it is a MAF problem the car will not Cut out at all! Not Even once. Drive on this settings for a few day and see if it cuts out or not. If it doesn't then you know it's the MAF, just replace it ( 2ND Hand one, They don't do brand new , Unless you want to pay £500 For the entire throttle). If it does cut off then it's coming from somewhere else.

Disadvantage of running without it is, that it will consume more fuel and when the engine is cold, you may have risk of misfire as I doesn't know the temperature of the air intake.

Hi Mate , I don't want to sound rude but there is plenty of threads with the same issue. A bit or research would have given you the answer.

I had the same problem on my 1.8. I went to FIAT they charge me £50 to tell me it was a Variable Timing problem and quoted my £1500! Got it done with another mechanic (Timing Belt + Water Pump + Variable Time unit) £500 Incl labour.

1 day Later - SAME Problem!

I built a Touchscreen Computer inside the Stilo and Connected it to the ECU and monitored all the sensors while driving. I have managed to catch the MAF sensor playing up. Replaced it, Cost me £20 PROBLEM SOLVED!

Now what you need to do is:

Clean you throttle body properly (Take the whole unit out) do not take the actual sensor out as you may damage the sensor, if you move or touch the thin metal wires, you will change the resistance and give the ECU the wrong value and make everything worse) Clean the butterfly. There is a thread on here to show you how to do it. And use contact cleaner for the solution.

If the problem doesn't solve it do the Following:
Ignition off , Unplug the connector that connects to the top sensor (MAF) of your throttle body . Start the your engine and let it run for 15 mins and DO NOT REV THE ENGINE.

Now the engine will calibrate itself and run on emergency settings, it will work out how much air/fuel ratio reading based on the electronic throttle position. In this case if it is a MAF problem the car will not Cut out at all! Not Even once. Drive on this settings for a few day and see if it cuts out or not. If it doesn't then you know it's the MAF, just replace it ( 2ND Hand one, They don't do brand new , Unless you want to pay £500 For the entire throttle). If it does cut off then it's coming from somewhere else.

Disadvantage of running without it is, that it will consume more fuel and when the engine is cold, you may have risk of misfire as I doesn't know the temperature of the air intake.

Thanks for accurate reply and suggestions, that is what I need. Thanks.

Build in computer is very good idea.

P.S maybe you are right, few hours surfing net is not enough to get to the bottom.. I will update on progress shortly if someone is interested.

Thanks for accurate reply and suggestions, that is what I need. Thanks.

Build in computer is very good idea.

P.S maybe you are right, few hours surfing net is not enough to get to the bottom.. I will update on progress shortly if someone is interested.

Hi Andreas any sucess?

Having similar problems for long time prety pissed with my Stilo 1.6

Give us some news and hopefully some solution.

Back