Grande Punto Fiat GP - with powdercoated brake drums

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Fiat GP - with powdercoated brake drums

The Autowerks

When we bought my wife her little GP she wasn't best pleased as she said that the 1.4 Dynamic Sports that we were looking looked too much like an old persons car (no offence to old people intended). I told her not to worry because with tinted windows, a nice set of wheels and a bit of lowering the car would come up really nice.

The tints were installed pretty much straight away, went for 20% on the rear screen and 35% on all the side windows.

The wheels were purchased from a member on this forum but sat in the workshop for months. firstly I needed to order the correct size spiggot rings as i think the wheels came off a bravo, and after having fitted one of the wheels as a trial the gap in the arches was ridiculous so it definitely needed a good lowering. -50mm Eibach springs were delivered and i got on with swapping the springs and wheels at the same time.

Here is how the car looked when she first got it:
DSC_0052.jpg

When taking off the rear wheels i noticed that the rear brake drums were rusted to hell. Knowing that this would look rubbish behind the wheels being fitted i decided to experiment a little. Rather than paint them i thought i'd try powdercoating them and seeing how they came up.

So this is how it looked when the rear wheel came off:
DSC_0285.jpg

After a good going over with a wire brush:
DSC_0286.jpg

All masked up and ready for powder:
DSC_0287.jpg

And after two coats of powder and a good blast in the oven:
DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

With them fitted on the car:
DSC_0357.jpg

So the transformation is complete, the car now looks awesome and it handles so much better! Shame it's just a little 1.4 litre lump under the bonnet though.

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

since the weather has turned the car sounds reluctant to start in the mornings, sort of turns over for a little while before firing up, is it just a case of changing the plugs?

Hey that looks really nice mate, not a fan of the 5 door tbh.

The tints have come out really well and I like what you did to the brake drums, got anymore closer pics of the rear wheel with it? What are the rims btw?

Hey that looks really nice mate, not a fan of the 5 door tbh.

The tints have come out really well and I like what you did to the brake drums, got anymore closer pics of the rear wheel with it? What are the rims btw?
technically speaking the tints are illegal as the law only allows a 25% tint on the front windows, but they look spot on and the car has yet to be pulled over

i'll take some closer pics of the rear wheels and post them up. i noticed once the pics were posted up that it doesn't really show up very much.

the wheels are 17" toora competiziones i think
I must say that looks really nice, dont see many modded 5 doors :D. Love what you have done to it, very suble but looks 10x better!

I think a set of Abarth rear lights would look really well against the tints, and to also take the pink look away (y)
i've seen the abarth lights and look like they would really tie in well with the colour of the car and also the tints - i want to fit a set front and back, but they must be expensive

how did you powedcoat them yourslef:confused:
'tis the joy of running a business that does alloy wheel refurbishments - means that i can experiment with different things. i think i'll refurb the wheels in the new year, and if the other half will let me i think i'll do something a bit different, it's her car afterall

in case anyone is interested we also do window tinting and car detailing amongst other things

technically speaking the tints are illegal as the law only allows a 25% tint on the front windows, but they look spot on and the car has yet to be pulled over

i'll take some closer pics of the rear wheels and post them up. i noticed once the pics were posted up that it doesn't really show up very much.

the wheels are 17" toora competiziones i think

i've seen the abarth lights and look like they would really tie in well with the colour of the car and also the tints - i want to fit a set front and back, but they must be expensive

'tis the joy of running a business that does alloy wheel refurbishments - means that i can experiment with different things. i think i'll refurb the wheels in the new year, and if the other half will let me i think i'll do something a bit different, it's her car afterall

in case anyone is interested we also do window tinting and car detailing amongst other things
how much would you wont to powedcoat mk2b sporting wheels as i am looking to have them done mayb in black

how much would you wont to powedcoat mk2b sporting wheels as i am looking to have them done mayb in black

price for powdercoating is £75 + VAT per wheel. standard refurb is £60 + VAT per wheel. generally speaking we have a two day turnaround on refurbs, but the car has to be in the workshop two full days, which means an early morning delivery and a 5pm collection the next day.

we can do a very glossy finish or we can do a matt black finish, we're doing a set of porsche rims today in matt black, i'll postup a pic if you're interested.

Liking what you've done to your car mate, looks really good for a 5 door, nice colour too.

Would you be able to offer discounts on alloy wheel refurbishment / painting? (y)

we could certainly arrange a group buy on any of our services and offer a discount.

Nice. What else do you do?

pretty much anything car related that isn't mechanical. i.e. window tinting, alloy refurbing, applying protection film to the areas of the car that are prone to stonechipping, car detailing, bodywork, SMART repairs, brakecalliper painting......the list goes on. customers tend to ask us to do more than one thing when they brng their car in, and we like to be flexible, so we undertake most things.

we've recently added a small collection of cars that we hire out - at the moment we've got an Audi RS4, Golf R32, a couple of Mini Cooper S's and a CLK AMG 55 cabriolet

I just think you need to revinyl the door pillar from rough black to shiny black.
Except for that its very nice.

that's not a factory fit item on the GPs is it? i do need to do something with them because on the drivers door the edge of the vinyl is wrinkly, don't know why. i'll have to buy some piano black vinyl, cut it and fit it some point.

thanks for all the nice comments by the way (y)

price for powdercoating is £75 + VAT per wheel. standard refurb is £60 + VAT per wheel. generally speaking we have a two day turnaround on refurbs, but the car has to be in the workshop two full days, which means an early morning delivery and a 5pm collection the next day.

we can do a very glossy finish or we can do a matt black finish, we're doing a set of porsche rims today in matt black, i'll postup a pic if you're interested.
north london powedcoating place only wont £45 per wheel

edit
cant find the northlondon place but this one is starts from £40 a eheels to
http://www.aerocoat.net/pricelist2006.htm

how much for the stone chip protection

Last edited:
north london powedcoating place only wont £45 per wheel

edit
cant find the northlondon place but this one is starts from £40 a eheels to
http://www.aerocoat.net/pricelist2006.htm

how much for the stone chip protection

unless you know both processes you can't compare two different services solely based on the price.

we store the car in secure premises whilst working on the wheels, they might want you to bring the wheels to them; removal of tyres is included, they might charge extra or want you to provide the naked alloy wheel; we use exterior grade powder on alloy wheels in order to prevent the powder from losing it's colour and sheen 3-6 months down the line, we re-fit the tyre, fit a new valve and balance up all the wheels prior to them going back on the car, do they have the facilities to do this or will you have to take your freshly refurbed wheels to a local tyre fitter in order for them to fit the tyre and balance the wheel, and probably put a nice scratch in it whilst doing so.

end of the day, we believe in quality (not saying the other company don't), whether it be the service we provide or the products we use - and our prices reflect this.

have to say mate that looks bloody awesome!! :D

Absolutely LOVE what you've done with that car! And wat's wrong with a 1.4 ;)

thanks - i'm really chuffed how it's turned out.

nothing wrong with the little 8v once it gets going, but i've been trying to convince my other half that there is nothing wrong with staying in gear beyond 3500rpm, she came out of a diesel engined car where the red line starts at 5k revs, so she keeps changes too early in the punto.

i absolutely love driving it, it's not quick on the staights, but it can sure be thrown into corners and stick to the black stuff.

Its a nice looking GP you have there mate, probably the best 5 dr GP i have seen. Wheels suit it down to the ground, tints look spot on and the drop looks good on it aswell :)

Abarth lights your looking at £260 for the front lights and £95 for the rear lights.

we could certainly arrange a group buy on any of our services and offer a discount.

pretty much anything car related that isn't mechanical. i.e. window tinting, alloy refurbing, applying protection film to the areas of the car that are prone to stonechipping, car detailing, bodywork, SMART repairs, brakecalliper painting......the list goes on. customers tend to ask us to do more than one thing when they brng their car in, and we like to be flexible, so we undertake most things.

we've recently added a small collection of cars that we hire out - at the moment we've got an Audi RS4, Golf R32, a couple of Mini Cooper S's and a CLK AMG 55 cabriolet

that's not a factory fit item on the GPs is it? i do need to do something with them because on the drivers door the edge of the vinyl is wrinkly, don't know why. i'll have to buy some piano black vinyl, cut it and fit it some point.

thanks for all the nice comments by the way (y)

Thanks for that i will certainly i keep you in mind. As your quite a way from me (Liverpool) and you have the car for two days i would have to stay over in a hotel nearby.

Been thinking of getting wheels powder coated but i have to convince wifey first and then save up lol :D Not sure of colour though, been thinking of anthracite but i also like gloss black :yum:

(y)

Back