Technical Fiat Ducato II 2002 2.3 JTD FL fuel gauge

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducato II 2002 2.3 JTD FL fuel gauge

Hef

Hello,

Fuel gauge on my Fiat Ducato II 2002 2.3 JTD facelifted began to work intermittently and now it doesn't work at all, there is just blinking reserve light.

I did some research and found out there should be small black box behind glove box that is responsible for this problem.
But I can't find it behind my glove box, so I think that info is valid for older models? Maybe on facelifted models its hidden somewhere else?

If that small box doesn't exist at all then what else can I check? Is the cluster itself broken?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Hef,
Welcome to the forum.

2002 facelifted equates to an x244 model (see first three numbers of VIN). The x244 does not have a "black box".

The signal from the "sender" in the fuel tank is processed in the instrument panel, and used to drive a small stepping motor.

A common fault is for the stepping motor to stick. The cure is to remove the instrument cluster, and the its face. Gently push the needle to free it.

Other possible causes are, faulty tank sender, or wiring from the tank. Is there any possibility of rodent damage, perhaps at the tank?

Attached annoted copies of Fiat eLearn diagrams E4010 may help.

Attachments

• eLearn E4010-1 Instrument Panel.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 23
  • eLearn E4010-2 Instrument Panel.pdf
    133.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Hef
Thank you very much.

I do have "244" in the VIN so...wish I knew that there is no "small box" before unscrewing the glove box like..10 times 🤣

Those diagrams helped tremendously!

For anyone ever wondering wires for fuel gauge are "BZ - White/Violet" and "HR Grey/Red" on connector "D" which is in the middle of the cluster.

In my case there is no connectivity between cluster connector and sender unit connector in "BZ" wire.
I tested the gauge by shorting those wires in connector before cluster and it works so that's great :)

There is another big connector with those wires around fuse box below steering column just before the fire wall, and I do have continuity there from the cluster. There is also connector(looks the same like the on at fuel tank) between fuel tank sender and.. intersection of rats nest of wires in the engine compartment, and I do have connection in this short section. So in my case, tomorrow I will probably find broken/chewed wire in this big pile of wires between airbox and headlight 🙃

I have additional questions:
1. There was also blinking light with "automatic gearbox" symbol "E7050" on the diagrams, but I have manual gearbox. Which now leads me to suspect the wire for it "V - Green" might be also broken somewhere, but if I don't find it maybe there is something else causing it?

2. My speedometer also started to acting up. It works great till like 60km/h and then it gets stuck, sometimes it goes beyond 170km/h even tho I drive like 100km/h. Maybe I will also find the wires for this gauge somewhat broken. But again..If I don't, can the speed sensor be broken or this one have to do strictly with broken cluster?

Hello Hef,

The diagrams are from eLearn, of which a lot is available here https://4cardata.info/elearn/244/2/244000001/244000003, but some of the descriptions are cut short, and several diagrams are unreadable. If you scroll down from the diagrams and click on a connector number, the connector pinout, including wire size/colour is given. eLearn is multi language including Polish if that helps. It may still be available on a CD, but does require a Windows computer.

1. The auto transmission warning light showing when a manual box is fitted, has been queried on forum several times. One member described it as "like a car with the bonnet (hood) open. I cannot remember whether a cure was posted.

2. Speed sensor can fail, but I have no memory of high readings being mentioned. See recent thread https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/gearbox-impulse-generator-2004-fiat-ducato.506631/, on which I posted photo of speed sensor.

One other possibility is the support of the cable form to the tank, close to the left front wheel. See attached pictures, sensors are for 2.8jtd.
Auto transmission diagram probably not much help, but E050 will be the warning light.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Cable Old Route.jpg
    Fuel Pump Cable Old Route.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Fuel Pump Cable New Route.jpg
    Fuel Pump Cable New Route.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • eLearn E7050 Auto Transmission.pdf
    100.1 KB · Views: 14
Thank you very much for links and overall response :)
I fixed 2 of 3 issues.

Pin for the "BZ - White/Violet" wire in second connector counting from fuel tank wasn't making a connection, easy fix, just pushed the prongs in female connector to make good contact with the male side - pin and now fuel gauge works again :)

After dismantling the cluster for 100 time I noticed broken clip that holds the cluster face. This resulted in speedometer needle touching the cluster face around 60km/h. I secured the cluster face and now speedometer works perfectly :)

I wasn't able to fix properly the auto transmission warning light, I did read the previous topics about it, and definitive fix was never found in them.
Personally I traced the "V - Green" wire from C connector, it ends at one of the connectors near fusebox below steering column, never exits the cab. Maybe I should have traced the speed sensor wires, because those have something to do with this light when automatic gearbox is fitted, but I didn't feel like it anymore :D So I did the obvious thing - I covered the light with black tape inside the cluster :ROFLMAO:

If anyone ever finds this post and wants to read other topics about the annoying blinking light here are the links:

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/flashing-red-light-on-dashboard.498350/
https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/47491-dashboard-warning-lights/
https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/need-help-with-flashing-warning-light-on-fiat-ducato-2005-manual-gearbox.504982/

The only thing that stands out about the auto transmission warning light, is the fact that in common with key code, and low fuel it is microprocessor controlled. I am wondering if the control is high impedance, and sensitive to small leakage currents.

Back