General Fiat Doblo 1.6 multijet (2013) - oil filter assembly/oil cooler removal tips?

Currently reading:
General Fiat Doblo 1.6 multijet (2013) - oil filter assembly/oil cooler removal tips?

con95a

Not new to the forum but this is my first post.

Long story short, I've got some oil in coolant but it's not very much, but enough to be noticeable. Personally I think it's a failure in the oil cooler, or the gasket there.

Two garages have had the van, first said "it can happen" replaced coolant and said to watch if it returns, it likely won't. It did. I really should have asked questions at the time.
Second garage initially were talking head gasket when I described situation over the phone, but when they took the van in they said the EGR cooler was at fault, and replaced the gasket. I'm guessing they ruled out the head gasket for some reason or other. Didn't think at the time that EGR has nothing to do with oil, so don't know why they did it.
I told both garages that I suspected oil cooler but neither has, as far as I know, bothered to investigate it.

So I'm planning to replace it myself. If the oil contamination stops (after flushing and replacing coolant) then it was a cooler fault. If not, then all I'm left with is the head gasket.

So my main question, is how to remove the oil filter assembly/oil cooler from the back of the engine once the 3 bolts are out. Space is tight. Has anyone done this job before? Is it a case of removing the passenger side drive shaft to make a route out?

Any help appreciated ����

Looks like this:
hof8095201-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the suggestion (y)

It's a nightmare trying to find any information about this engine variant.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion (y)

It's a nightmare trying to find any information about this engine variant.
Hi sorry to bring this up a few years later, I am having the same issue and also believe it is my oil cooler. Did this fix your issue and how did you manage to get it off, looks like it will be a lot of scrapped knuckles.

Hi sorry to bring this up a few years later, I am having the same issue and also believe it is my oil cooler. Did this fix your issue and how did you manage to get it off, looks like it will be a lot of scrapped knuckles.
Hi there, sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Well actually I have not yet got around to trying to replace the oil cooler. Partly because of uncertainty and lack of confidence, and partly because the van kept running without issue. However I did flush out the coolant/cooling system and replace the coolant, and recently it's started to look pretty nasty again with oil. So I'm again planning on replacing the oil cooler, this time I'm more confident as I've since learned how to remove the driveshaft and I believe, with the drivers side driveshaft out, there should be plenty of room to pull out the oil filter assembly with the cooler on. I'll try to take pictures/possibly video when I do 👍🏼

Back