General FIAT Connect Nav V.12.2 FIRMWARE UPDATE

Currently reading:
General FIAT Connect Nav V.12.2 FIRMWARE UPDATE

All of the file names (and some of their dates and file sizes) in this alledged version 12.2 are the same as in versions 9.8, 9.9 and 11.0 so I assume it would attempt to boot from it.

If it is a valid update, I don't understand why you need to press 3, 4, 5, 6, >> during the installation. That's not needed for any of the previous updates. :confused:

Davren,

I downloaded the videos which showed a guy doing the update on his alfa connect nav and yes you are quite correct about the "3,4,5,6" , I just wish someone would post a video of a stilo one being done !!! I shall keep an eye on the forum, in fact i shall post a question on there to see if anyone has actually done the deed and succeeded!!

Cheers for now,

I'm a fiddler and I should stop looking at this post otherwise I know I'm going to give it a go. I should probably check out the files and code on the CD first just in case the bootloader is on the CD and not compatibile with the Stilo.

And, of course, we don't know whether there are any benefits of having 12.2.

I've recently changed from 9.8 to 9.9 on my CN+. Voice recognition is much better with it. I've also got version 11.0 but have be told by a reliable source that some functions with it are slower than previous versions.

I'll have to give 9.9 a go on your recommendation. I don't really want to kill the CN+ this soon so I'll probably chose discretion rather than valour in this case!

Clowny,
Davren currently has my connect nav as i bricked it the other week !! I am never ever putting an update cd in it ever again unless i know 110% it is going to work.
If the software was windows based (which it isnt) i wouldnt even give it a second thought as there is always more "tools" available to get you out of the brown smelly stuff !!!!!
It could prove quite costly if it all goes belly up as you have no way back !!!!

Cheers

Davren,

I downloaded the videos which showed a guy doing the update on his alfa connect nav and yes you are quite correct about the "3,4,5,6" , I just wish someone would post a video of a stilo one being done !!! I shall keep an eye on the forum, in fact i shall post a question on there to see if anyone has actually done the deed and succeeded!!

Cheers for now,

Kev..... do you mean he did press 3, 4, 5, 6, >> during the update process or not?

I might have spotted the obvious, in which case correct me. Doesn't the Croma/Alfa CN unit linked to in the classified advert and the GPS Forum have a lot less buttons? If so, then I'd put money on it definitely not working?

Last edited:
And, of course, we don't know whether there are any benefits of having 12.2.

Davren,

Looking at the videos i downloaded the whole front end looks completely different
Hope fully there will be a couple of grabs from the video one before and one after
Quite different i think !!!!

Cheers

Attachments

• Capture connect before.JPG
    Capture connect before.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 430
  • Capture connect after.JPG
    Capture connect after.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 405
Kev..... do you mean he did press 3, 4, 5, 6, >> during the update process or not?
Davren

yes he did ! the link so you can see the videos if you want is.................

[ame="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AR56F055"]MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service@@AMEPARAM@@File name:</span> <span class="down_txt2">NITG1 to NITG2 video.rar@@AMEPARAM@@NITG1 to NITG2 video.rar[/ame]

Cheers for now

I might have spotted the obvious, in which case correct me. Doesn't the Croma/Alfa CN unit linked to in the classified advert and the GPS Forum have a lot less buttons? If so, then I'd put money on it definitely not working?

The Croma CN+ has the same number of buttons as the Stilo CN+. They're just in different places. The Alfa one in the video Kev posted seems to have less buttons though.

Attachments

• Croma 12.2.jpg
    Croma 12.2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 6,725
Hi again,
right then who is man enough to try it then??? I,m certainly not lol .
I still dont get it though how they say it will work on our navs, mind you the new look of the software really does bring it up to date !!

Cheers

Hi again,
right then who is man enough to try it then??? I,m certainly not lol.

I could try installing it on your new one if you want. Your risk. :devil:

mind you the new look of the software really does bring it up to date !!Cheers

I prefer the clean lines of the original one rather than having all those coloured icons.

I must be a Luddite. Still use a 12 year old phone (Nokia 6310i) rather than have a new one with flashing lights, fireworks and starbursts going off whenever i get a call. :eek:

This is my first post despite years of membership. Hope that the upload of the photos works OK.

Decided to take the plunge with V12.2 after first moving to V11.0. The photos show the Flasher program screen and successful upgrade to V11.0.
On inserting the V12.2 disk and following the procedure, first the expected CD Error message appeared. Turned off Connect+ and restarted. A version of the Flasher screen appeared that was not stable as shown in the photo. No amount of pushing 3-4-5-6 and fast forward would induce the unit to react. After 2 or 3 minutes the disk was rejected.

Conclusion: version 12.2 is not compatible with Connect+ in the Stilo and the unit does not recognise the disk.

Verdict on V11.0: No discernible changes compared with V9.8.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 327
Fair play to you for boldly going where no man feared to tread. Are you able to resurrect your Connect+ ?

After ejecting the CD, it was possible to restart the unit again under V11.0. In fact I went through the whole procedure twice, having forgotten to take any screen shots the first time.

What version map disc do you currently have?

Firmware and setup downloads and procedures are below.

Stilo Connect Nav+ (CN+) Firmware Update Procedure.

WARNING: It has been reported by some people, that carrying out the firmware update has permanently destroyed their CN+. This could possibly be because the procedure was not followed correctly, or because the car battery was partially discharged. Before proceeding, decide whether you really want the update, and that your battery is not discharged.

Here are links for the various Firmware Update versions. You will need to unzip one of them with WinRar (or similar) to produce an .ISO image file, and then burn a CD from that file. Use a good quality, blank CD-R at slow speed.

Firmware v9.9 https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=419

Firmware v11.0 https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=418

This is the Update procedure:

NOTE: Some information stored in memory will be erased once this update starts.

You must follow the instructions exactly as follows:

1. Remove the SIM card then switch the ignition on (DO NOT start the engine).
  2. Once the CN+ has fully started, clear any error messages using the “ESCAPE” button.
  3. Remove any map or music CD then turn the CN+ off using the “ON” button.
  4. Once the CN+ has fully shut down, turn it back on using the “ON” button and clear any error messages using the “ESCAPE” button.
  5. Insert the Update Disc and wait for the display to show “CD Error”. Clear this message using the “ESCAPE” button.
  6. Turn the CN+ off by pressing the “ON” button.
  7. Remove the ignition key and then wait about 30 seconds.
  8. With the ignition key still removed, switch the CN+ on using the “ON” button.
  9. The Update procedure should begin. DO NOT switch the CN+ off during the procedure. The update may stop for a few moments a few times, this is normal. When completed, the blue FIAT logo will appear on the screen and the CD will be ejected automatically.
  10. Remove the CD then switch the CN+ off using the “ON” button.
If the update procedure has been successful, when you switch the CN+ back on, it should show your new firmware version number in the bottom right hand corner of the blue Fiat screen.

NOTE: If the update procedure stops at 50% for more than 10 minutes, or does not complete successfully for any reason, you will probably now have a corrupted flash and a completely dead CN+. It has been reported that pressing buttons 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 then “TEL” will flash all the front panel lights twice and may allow the update to resume. I have never needed to try this, so I don’t know if it works or not. Your only other option though, would be to send the unit to Magneti Marelli in Italy for repair, or to replace the CN+.

After you've updated the firmware, the language of the CN+ will have reverted to Italian. To change the language, you will need the Setup Disc.

Here's a link for the Setup Disc. You will need to unzip it with WinRar (or similar) to produce an .ISO image file, and then burn a CD from that file. Use a good quality, blank CD-R at slow speed.

Setup Disc https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=417

This is the procedure to change the language:​

1. Switch the ignition on.
  2. As soon as the CN+ starts, insert the Setup Disc and allow the CN+ to boot up normally.
  3. Read and clear any warning messages using the “ESCAPE” button.
  4. Press "SETUP" then "LANGUAGE" then choose your language.
  5. Highlight “OK” then press “ENTER” to accept the new language.
  6. Read and follow the warning messages as appropriate. When complete, press “ESCAPE” to clear the final message.
  7. Eject the Setup Disc.

Last edited:
Back