Technical Fiat cambelt tensioner tool

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat cambelt tensioner tool

Super Seven

Hi there, newbie saying hello!

I hope it’s ok to ask a technical question on my first post?!

I’m going to be changing the cambelt on my2004 Panda. In the Haynes manual it states that for my engine (early Panda) I need a special Fiat tool to adjust the tension of the belt. It says you can manually tension the belt but you must go straight away to a Fiat garage to get the belt tension adjusted correctly, as this tool is not available for the home mechanic. Is this them be over cautious and can I just tension it in the normal way? If not, is the tool available to buy, as I can’t find it anywhere? Many thanks :)

...can I just tension it in the normal way?...)

What would the "normal way" be, for us to agree or disagree?

One way, used for a long time by many garages is to tension the belt so that you can just twist it 90degrees halfway along its longest length. More or less than 90degrees means too slack or too tight. Theory goes that the force needed to twist it goes up exponentially, and at its correct tension most people can twist it just 90degrees.

You could do it this way, then run the engine and listen for tight or slack belt. After running for 10 minutes, check tension again. Then again a week later.

If in doubt, ask local garages if they can check and at what price. Leave covers off, so they don't have to dismantle.

All good spound advice,(y)

while you're in there it's often worthwhile changing the waterpump and the idler Bearing that does the tensioning,

personally I use a pair of "Bent-nose" pliers / circlip pliers,
and with them putting as much tension on as I can , I the nip up the M8 locknut,
this gives a good tension and seems to be spot on as i've never knocked out a waterpump bearing either, ;)

remember also your 8 valve panda engine is a "safe" engine ,
so you should never have an issue with piston / valve contact no matter what, :D
Charlie

personally I use a pair of "Bent-nose" pliers / circlip pliers,
and with them putting as much tension on as I can

At first sight, I thought ouch, don't use pliers on the cambelt. Then I read it properly and of course circlip pliers are not normally sharp along their legs.

For anyone else like me not reading clearly, don't use sharp or toothed implements on the belt.

Hi there, newbie saying hello!

I hope it’s ok to ask a technical question on my first post?!

I’m going to be changing the cambelt on my2004 Panda. In the Haynes manual it states that for my engine (early Panda) I need a special Fiat tool to adjust the tension of the belt. It says you can manually tension the belt but you must go straight away to a Fiat garage to get the belt tension adjusted correctly, as this tool is not available for the home mechanic. Is this them be over cautious and can I just tension it in the normal way? If not, is the tool available to buy, as I can’t find it anywhere? Many thanks :)

the normal thump n finger 90 degree way will be fine

welcome to the forum :)

Many thanks for the help guys...

That’s what I thought, tension using the usual twist 90 degrees method.

Yes, I’ve also bought a new water pump and bearing.

Interestingly, the Haynes manual also states the engine is an interference engine. Sounds like the first thing to do will be to bin the manual! I’ve just done the same job on a k-series, and this looks easier.

Thanks again!

Haynes have always been a bit flaky with some detail. Generally they are good, so its better than nothing, and easier to use than the genuine Fiat one on a computer. Just use a lot of thought, and if it doesn't seem right, ask on here. Someone will know better.

At first sight, I thought ouch, don't use pliers on the cambelt. Then I read it properly and of course circlip pliers are not normally sharp along their legs.

For anyone else like me not reading clearly, don't use sharp or toothed implements on the belt.

sorry , I should've made it clearer..!!,

I put the pliers into the 2 holes of the Washer/ clamp plate of the eccentric belt tensioner,

put as much (limited) tension on as I can ,
then nip-up the M8 nut at the same time,

If I did more than 2 belts a year I would make a peg spanner for it, but my pliers work admirably,

Charlie

Back