500X Fiat 500x rear ligth cluster not working..nothing on all lights for this unit only..is there an independent fuse for this?..any clues?

Currently reading:
500X Fiat 500x rear ligth cluster not working..nothing on all lights for this unit only..is there an independent fuse for this?..any clues?

krest

iat 500x rear ligth cluster not working..nothing on all lights for this unit only..is there an independent fuse for this?..any clues?

iat 500x rear ligth cluster not working..nothing on all lights for this unit only..is there an independent fuse for this?..any clues?

They can be prone to cable /plug failures.. 🤔

I would suspect a lost Earth connection

Unplug the loom clipped plug

Look for burning.. Or green terminals

Then wriggle back together with Hazards and sidelights on

You may see flickers of life 🙂

They can be prone to cable /plug failures.. 🤔

I would suspect a lost Earth connection

Unplug the loom clipped plug

Look for burning.. Or green terminals

Then wriggle back together with Hazards and sidelights on

You may see flickers of life 🙂

So I take the light cluster off and check the light 'Plug' here for burnt browning signs then wriggle the light connector..if nothing where would the earth wire be located?

How do I improve make good the earth(green wire) in the plug? or is there a earth somewhere else.

Remove light cluster
Unplug wiring loom
Look for obvious damage

It will have @5 wires in the plug.. One for Earth and one for each bulb

IF the earth section of the plug is dirty.. Or damaged, There is no electric flowing through the light unit 😕

With hazards and sidelights on..(Working on other rear unit ok.?)

Plug your unit back in... slowly..
See if you get flickers of power as the action of reassembly will scrape the contacts.. Potentially improving a dodgy connection 🙂

Remove light cluster
Unplug wiring loom
Look for obvious damage

It will have @5 wires in the plug.. One for Earth and one for each bulb

IF the earth section of the plug is dirty.. Or damaged, There is no electric flowing through the light unit 😕

With hazards and sidelights on..(Working on other rear unit ok.?)

Plug your unit back in... slowly..
See if you get flickers of power as the action of reassembly will scrape the contacts.. Potentially improving a dodgy connection 🙂
OK.. will try tomorrow..is there a electrical cleaning spray that can be used..seem to think in my youth there was on the old cars...thanks for your advise..will update tomorrow 🤞

plenty of electrical contact sprays on the market! to "freshen up" the plug contacts i find a length of copper wire that just fits inside the "female " connectors and gently roll it in my fingers to rotate the wire and scrape the inside surface! to clean out and promote better conductivity!

So the plug had a short I think as the plug was brittle and broken on the black wire side..cleaned and squeezed the plug together several times..put back together while lights on to see if the connection stays..think it will just break contact given road roll & bumps..I've ordered a new plug pre-wired with heat shrink connectors Ebay £10.

I hope so...the new plug has six wires pre fixed to the plug but the wiring loom on the car has five although there is six pins holes for wires..so just need to make sure I omit the correct pin not to be used...hope I've brought the correct plug😁thanks for all advice.

worst thing with ANY job is not giving yourself enough time!!☹️,
I find that visualising the work a few times before doing it is a great help as when you come to actually do it its kinda like you have a memory of doing it before!"
As dad always used to say "think it through boy!" think before you act!.(y)

FYI..Just an update on my 'light cluster' fix..so the earth did short & burnt out melted fused earth pin in the plug from the bulb holder which broke of when unplugging..acquired a new plug bypassed the pin which obviously not there now and secured an earth straight from the terminal track of the bulb holder and wired back through to the earth wire in the loom..all done all working as normal..thanks again for all the advice 👍😎

Back