500 Fiat 500

Currently reading:
500 Fiat 500

Paddy Doran

Greeting to all at the Fiat Forum,

I am soon to be the owner of a 2013 1.2 petrol engine Fiat 500. To replace the Ford Focus that wrecked its wet timing belt. It was the first time I learned of such things. And their inherent danger.
I have to own up to a long held secret liking for the Fiat 500. It's more matron than macho, but I don't care. The car I should have on the road next week has a cream bodyworker and interior that, apart from a small area of crazing on a rear fender, that is being dealt with, are both in very good condition. I have test driven the car. And it was quite a novel and enjoyable experience. I was relieved to learn that the engine has a timing chain and not a belt.
I am looking forward to taking the car on a trip to Whitby. I think I am going to more matron than macho.
Before that trip. I need to know what oils, and other fluids, are recommend for the 500. Apparently, the oil for the Ford Focus timing belt was critical, and therefore very expensive. I expect all the relevant information will be in the vehicle manual. I think that's it for now.

Kind regards,

Paddy Doran.

I would consider donating to the cause. But right now, I am strapped for cash. I expect that situation to improve down the line.

Kind regards,

Paddy Doran.

Greeting to all at the Fiat Forum,

I am soon to be the owner of a 2013 1.2 petrol engine Fiat 500. To replace the Ford Focus that wrecked its wet timing belt. It was the first time I learned of such things. And their inherent danger.
. I was relieved to learn that the engine has a timing chain and not a belt.
I am looking forward to taking the car on a trip to Whitby. I think I am going to more matron than macho.
Before that trip. I need to know what oils, and other fluids, are recommend for the 500. Apparently, the oil for the Ford Focus timing belt was critical, and therefore very expensive. I expect all the relevant information will be in the vehicle manual. I think that's it for now.

Kind regards,

Paddy Doran.
No it should have a belt and is a service item at about 5 years

I was relieved to learn that the engine has a timing chain and not a belt.

A 2013 Petrol 500 has a timing belt which will destroy the engine if it breaks. The same belt drives the water pump, and if pump fails, it will likely also break the belt and hence wreck the engine.

Unless you are absolutely certain that it has been changed within the last five years, have it changed, together with the water pump and belt tensioner, at the earliest opportunity.

I would also not rely on any other information about the car which you may have got from the same source.

Last edited:
No it should have a belt and is a service item at about 5 years
Hello, John 202020,

Thanks for your speedy response to my first post. I confess to being a tad disappointed that the 500 has a belt and not a chain. Please tell me it is not a wet belt, such as the type that disintegrated in my Ford Focus.

Kind regards,

Paddy Doran

A 2013 Petrol 500 has a timing belt which will destroy the engine if it breaks. The same belt drives the water pump, and if pump fails, it will likely also break the belt and hence wreck the engine.

Unless you are absolutely certain that it has been changed within the last five years, have it changed, together with the water pump and belt tensioner, at the earliest opportunity.

I would also not rely on any other information about the car which you may have got from the same source.
Hello, jrkitching,

Thanks to you also, for your speedy response to my first post. I reiterate my question I put to john202020. Does the 500 have a wet timing belt like that of the one that fouled up the engine in my Ford Focus?

Other than Googling 2013 1.2 petrol Fiat 500 specifications. I haven't received any information about the 500 from any source.

Kind regards,

Paddy Doran.

Does the 500 have a wet timing belt like that of the one that fouled up the engine in my Ford Focus?
No, it's a dry belt.

I haven't received any information about the 500 from any source.
Go into the download section of this forum and grab a copy of eLearn for the 500. It's a full workshop manual in hypertext form and also contains some useful descriptions of how the various systems work.

Last edited:
Back