General fiat 500 oil type

Currently reading:
General fiat 500 oil type

With the TwinAir does SS kick in instantly like on the 1.2 when you've reached the end of an off ramp after having just been sat at 70mph? If so those turbos must be taking an absolute hammering?

The S/S doesn't take into account turbo, exhaust or intake temps. It will shut down a hot engine if it wants to. I switch mine off if I'm having a 'go'. Having said that though, I think as long as you coast to a stop the turbo will have already cooled. Intercooled engines don't need to be idled for long before shut down. Could certainly get expensive for those only getting 30MPG though.

I honestly think if you are that concerned you should telephone Fiat Customer Services, or email them and ask for their Technical department, give them your VIN and get them to put you straight on the issue.

If you want to stick with your own dealers advice, I would absolutely recommend you get a written statement from them, signed by the dealership manager that what he has advised you is correct. Then, if it all goes horribly pear shaped later on, then you have some come back. I think also that it would be horrible if they serviced the car and put the wrong oil in and something went wrong. You need an absolute definitive answer to put your mind at rest.
What I meant is if the dealer gives you the wrong advice Fiat may tell you 'too bad' the dealer was wrong that doesn't mean you are covered!

Legally that won't stand in the UK, if you take the advise of the dealer who you bought the car from. Your contract is with them! The warranty is backed by Fiat for 2 years

Also after 650miles, my average consumption has been 51mpg, with individual trips of 80miles reaching 56mpg and getting better.

That's interesting. Are you calculating that by Fuelly? We are running our TA from full to almost empty on Shell V Power and we've done just over a 1000 miles and by Fuelly, we're averaging 43mpg in ECO almost all the time with the odd spurt off ECO when firing up a long hill or overtaking. We're on the orange light now having managed this time to hit about 350 miles out of the tank. Filling up possibly tomorrow. We'll see what the mpg is like then.

I have a 105 mile commute round trip. Half of which is the M40 / Heathrow section of the M25 and crawling in the morning.
I brim the tank and then the next day take it back to the same petrol station and pump. Currently uses 8.7 litres at the moment for this journey.
Car computer states 51mpg on average.
I drive it in Eco mode mostly, switching to normal if I need to overtake quickly.

I
Car computer states 51mpg on average.

On many cars, the vehicle computer can often be quite misleading/inacurate and sometimes downright wrong. Might be worth you setting up a Fuelly account and inputting your fuel receipts and see if it's doing what you believe it is. I sincerely hope you are getting the mpg, after all, your driving style may be quite different to ours.

I have worked it out for myself! Car states 51mpg - I am currently getting, to my calculations 56mpg. I don't need to fill in fuelly to tell me what a calculator can!

I have worked it out for myself! Car states 51mpg - I am currently getting, to my calculations 56mpg. I don't need to fill in fuelly to tell me what a calculator can!

Well good on yer!! If you're getting 10mpg + more than we are, then you must be a saint with your driving style because we're not doing anything different than we did in our 1.2 POP and that averaged 47 to 53 mg. Oh dear, now we've strayed completely off topic relating to what sort of oil we should be putting in lol! :D

Back on topic, I bought 4l of Castrol Edge 5W 40 for an oil change on my 2011 TA last week, as that is the grade stated in the handbook I got with the car. As recommended by others, it's £30 at Costco. Also, I happened to be in the Homebase near my workplace on Monday, and they had 1l bottles of the same for about £8.50 - dearer per litre, but pretty good for that quantity and handy for top-ups.

Lol I have the Duologic gearbox. In Eco mode it changes up at 2500-3000rpm.
It's very easy to drive it gently.
Take it out of Eco mode and it becomes an animal lol - gearbox holds 4000-5000rpm change ups when you put your foot down.

Well good on yer!! If you're getting 10mpg + more than we are, then you must be a saint with your driving style because we're not doing anything different than we did in our 1.2 POP and that averaged 47 to 53 mg. Oh dear, now we've strayed completely off topic relating to what sort of oil we should be putting in lol! :D

He's doing long journeys, that's the key to the matter. I'm doing a 50 mile roundtrip every day and today I got 57mpg over the whole journey.

According to your calculations- 35 litre tank - remove 5 litres for reserve - 30 / 4.54 = 6.6 gal

350 / 6.6 gal = 53mpg!

Absolutely not the way to work it out at all.

The amount of fuel in the tank depends on..... well.... how much you put in. I've had 42 litres of fuel in mine. Using a calculator is better than using the trip computer, BUT you will get an inaccuracy from tank to tank that you wouldn't get with fuelly over the long term.

I have same problem! Have a one week old (very lovely) 500s with the twin air engine. Checked the oil on Friday and it was between the min and max mark after 400 miles.
Looked up on line and got the indy car spares shop to check and bought the expensive Castrol EDGE 5W40 ACEA C3 1 litre at £17. Topped up to the max mark..... All happy until I looked in the manual, where it states 0.9 TwinAir 65HP 85HP and 105HP SAE 0W30 ACEA C2 Fiat 9.55535-GS1 only.

Seriously confused and have I now topped up with the wrong oil??

I have bought 2 brand new fiats with twin air motors over the past 2 years. Both were delivered with the oil 1/2 way between min and max.
Just in case you were worrying that your car was excessively using oil.

I have bought 2 brand new fiats with twin air motors over the past 2 years. Both were delivered with the oil 1/2 way between min and max.
Just in case you were worrying that your car was excessively using oil.

I guess fiat saves money by producing so many cars and putting the minimum amount of oil they can get away with = )

mine was delivered full but I guess the dealer might have topped it up whilst checking the car.

Back