Technical Fiat 500 1.2 radiator help

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 radiator help

Ballsdeep69

Hi I have a question on the radiator on a 1.2, it has maximum and minimum on the filer but underneath the minimum is a bit of plastic pipe that lets water out if you go over it. So it basically does not let you get to minimum never mind maximum. I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• FC801C68-04A4-4F72-ABCF-900B24241EE6.jpeg
    FC801C68-04A4-4F72-ABCF-900B24241EE6.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 110
Hi I have a question on the radiator on a 1.2, it has maximum and minimum on the filer but underneath the minimum is a bit of plastic pipe that lets water out if you go over it. So it basically does not let you get to minimum never mind maximum. I have attached a picture.

Hi,
if coolant comes out of that point then the side tank is broken . The point indicated should not be a hole through the tank.

Best wishes
Jack

You sure mate cause it’s a brand new radiator just purchased and it was coming out the one I took off also. Strange this

Hi,
if coolant comes out of that point then the side tank is broken . The point indicated should not be a hole through the tank.

Best wishes
Jack
Is it not meant to have a blanking thing over it and the hole is for fitting it to another make car with a return or something.

Thats a mounting lug.. not regularly used on a 500

But maybe its had a long bolt..or screw wound into it and has punctured it?

I suppose you could attemp to plug it with a bolt if you are stuck.. BossWhite plumbing paste is pretty effective for such uses.
I get you

Thats a mounting lug.. not regularly used on a 500

But maybe its had a long bolt..or screw wound into it and has punctured it?

I suppose you could attemp to plug it with a bolt if you are stuck.. BossWhite plumbing paste is pretty effective for such uses.
That was my first thought as the radiators are common to a few cars that have different mounting points…if it’s brand new it could still be faulty

I will block the hole tomorrow with a bolt and silicone and check the radiator I removed to see if that hole is blocked off. It probably is to be honest. It was leaking out the bottom right corner so I changed it. The factory who made this must have made a mess up cause I have not screwed out in there and was careful with it.

This basic design has been around since my 1994 punto SX.. basic FIRE motor

KA has been part of the 'Fiat picture' for around 10 years.. still with a FIRE motor

Wether the new FIREFLY motors still use this.. I dont know..

But 'modern era' Fiat : FCA designs ( with camchains not belts) tend to have a HeaderTank mounted in the inner wing

THESE have far better provision for a level indicator :cool:

MAYBE FORD did this with that little mount on the 'Sight Tube'???
20230319_071234.jpg

Looks like we need a new radiator evidence of moisture drips
Is there a guide not checked the bible, Haynes, would any version do they seem to vary in price £60-90 and above?
I buy the German ones from www.carparts4less.co.uk. EIS. That part is closed to the outside world like the OEM one and even comes with the rubber inserts where the locator tabs sit which the others don't. £59.99. They are out of stock at the moment, but I highly recommend these instead of any of the others. I've pretty much tried them all.

Perhaps this will be OK, trying to save money as we're skint! so the £20 saving from others would pay for antifreeze and clips?

Can you replace it without removing the bumper?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Perhaps this will be OK, trying to save money as we're skint! so the £20 saving from others would pay for antifreeze and clips?

Can you replace it without removing the bumper?
I've changed loads of them, but all with the bumper off. The bottom of the rad has pegs which push into rubber mounts which are bolted to the front panel which would pull upwards, however the top you would need to drill out the rivets that hold the pegs into the top of the radiator. If the bumper is off, you just remove the two 10mm bolts at the bottom and it'll pull out. I'm not sure whether you have the space to manoeuvre it without the bumper off, even if you remove the fan first. I'm not saying you can't but I've never done it like that. Maybe someone else can advise. I've done dozens and dozens, but I've always had the front of the car off when I've done it.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back