Technical Fiat 1900TD Questions

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 1900TD Questions

excossack

While im hunting a Fiat workshop manual. i thought id ask these questions
On the back if the engine,on the exhaust downpipes there is a pipe that goes to the intercooler - what does this do? & can it be relocated?
on the right hand side of the rocker cover housing(gbox end) there is a bit that sticks out with a black pipe that runs off towards the bulk head. - is this a thermostat housing?
On the injector pump towards the front of the car (not the throttle cable) there is a cable that goes off to the right hand side that connects to a cylindrical metal thing which looks like it gets imersed in water. - what does it do ?

Thanks

While im hunting a Fiat workshop manual. i thought id ask these questions
On the back if the engine,on the exhaust downpipes there is a pipe that goes to the intercooler - what does this do? & can it be relocated?
on the right hand side of the rocker cover housing(gbox end) there is a bit that sticks out with a black pipe that runs off towards the bulk head. - is this a thermostat housing?
On the injector pump towards the front of the car (not the throttle cable) there is a cable that goes off to the right hand side that connects to a cylindrical metal thing which looks like it gets imersed in water. - what does it do ?

Thanks

Hi John,
This is going into the Niva then?
No1 : Don't know
No 2: This is the vacuum pump that powers the servo(no inlet vacuum on a diesel, remember). Does that make the engine too long for the Niva bay? Could you cut the bulkhead like fitting a 45 DCOE Weber to Mini?
3. I THINK this is the fuel cutoff solonoid, but what I DO know is that if the 5mm rubber pipe perishes & cracks, your turbo boost dimishes (to zero once it breaks completely)

Cheers
JohnL

Hi John
I was measuring up. I would need a spare niva first to play around with. could be a tight fit as id need to make sure the starter motor clears the downpipes, the steering box and brake booster.! The alty would also be down the bottom end.

The vacuum pump makes it bit longer (engine is about 24") inc timing belt and vacuum pump.

Cheers for the only reply John, i thought more people would have responded!

Maybe could swap the alty for the power steering pump, since it ain't gonna be much use on a Niva, would need a different pulley tho' - no big deal.

No 3 is the cold start device.
No 1 is to tell the turbo when engine is warm to give full boost. Do not move if possible.

Andy.:)

Does this device sit after the turbo on the manifold?
My thoughts are to use the 1900td in a 4x4 as the bottom end is the same as a twincam so it will be mounted north to south and the g/box that i would use would put the starter on the same side as the turbo/manifold etc.
Any workshop manuals available for this car?

Does this device sit after the turbo on the manifold?
My thoughts are to use the 1900td in a 4x4 as the bottom end is the same as a twincam so it will be mounted north to south and the g/box that i would use would put the starter on the same side as the turbo/manifold etc.
Any workshop manuals available for this car?

Now i am digging my brain cells for grey matter.
Not sure about block being same as twin cam, but on the twin cam, there was 2 types of gearbox that mounted the starter on opposite sides.
As for the device, not crawled under a Tipo TD for a while, so cant answer you question. Can you not tell yourself?
As for mounting it north-south, you will need to change the sump, oil pickup etc...

Andy.

It was a bit cramped to get around the car, and was a rushed look.
I may have to extract the engine from the car and try to marry up the G/box.
Im seeing the bloke whos got the fiat so i will pick his brains.
cheers all...still after a workshop manual.....

Back