Technical Fiat 126 gearbox problem

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 126 gearbox problem

Florin1979

Hello

I recently bought a Fiat 126.
I have some problems with it when changing gears in the sense that it enters 1st and 2nd gear easily. In 3rd and 4th gear it is difficult to enter and I have to move the shifter very far to the right. And it doesn't go into reverse gear at all.
If someone can help me with what I could do to fix this problem.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 20230211_121817.jpg
    20230211_121817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 200
  • 20230211_121836.jpg
    20230211_121836.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
Should difficulty be experienced in obtaining correct
gear selection then the gear shift control mechanism
should be adjusted as follows:
1 Remove the screws fixing the cover to the tunnel and
raise the cover to the top of the gear shift lever stem.
2 Slacken the lever support mounting screws and push
the support forward if first- and third-speed engage-
ment is incorrect or backwards if second-, fourth- and
reverse-speed engagement are incorrect. Finally tighten
the mounting screws. Refit the gear shift lever boot.

I don't think this adjustment ^^ is relevant for solving the OP's problem - he can select 1st and 2nd just fine but has difficulty in selecting 3rd, 4th and reverse.
I'd suggest checking the 'lollipop' (as it's commonly called) on the gearchange rod at the gearbox. This 'lollipop', so called because of it's shape, is a connector comprising of 2 metal plates bonded to a rubber centre, it provides a vibration damping connection between the gearchange rod that comes from the gear lever inside the car and the gearchange shaft that enters the gearbox. OP will need to get under the vehicle to check it - it might be that the mounting bolts are simply loose but it's more likely that the rubber bond is failing, in which case it will need to be renewed.

Here a picture of what this gearchange coupling looks like, it's located just in front of the gearbox underneath the car (this is just one supplier, who calls it a gearshift linkage snubber lots of others can supply the same part under various names):-

Last edited:
Hello

I recently bought a Fiat 126.
I have some problems with it when changing gears in the sense that it enters 1st and 2nd gear easily. In 3rd and 4th gear it is difficult to enter and I have to move the shifter very far to the right. And it doesn't go into reverse gear at all.
If someone can help me with what I could do to fix this problem.

Thank you very much.
I had the same problem. The cause was a bush supporting the gear linkage, at the forward end of the horizontal shaft had disintegrated.
The bush can be seen in the drawing in the previous post, (but it isn't one of the numbered pieces). Check the external flexible linkage piece (lollypop) first as that is easy, but if it is ok then it will almost certainly be the bush I have described.

Back