Technical Faulty rear breakes with new drums

Currently reading:
Technical Faulty rear breakes with new drums

Migaard

Hi guys.

I really need your help on this one.
Car 1996 Fiat Punto 55 1.1 with ABS.
My rear breakes (Bendix) were starting to "shake" when breaking.
I tried pulling the hand breake driving slowly to determine whether
it was comming from front or rear breakes and pulling it makes a very very
uneven breaking like breake - no breake - breake - no breake.
So convinced that my rear drums where oval (not sure if it's the right english word) i changed my drums and breake shoes.
But little did it help, the breakes still shakes both on the pedal and the hand breake... :cry:
One thing to notice is that the auto adjustment thing was defective and
adjusted manually to a small but ok clearance
I didn't have a new adjuster so i mounted the defective one and adjusted the clearance.
I'm facing a MOT test next week and urgently need help os all replies are very appreciated.

Jack the rear corner and remove the wheel and the small screws holding the brake drum. Put the wheel back on with loose bolts. Get a friend to press the brake pedal and tighten the wheel bolts. Repeat on other side.

If this does not solve the problem you new drums are faulty. If the problem existed with the old parts it is possible one or both of your wheel hubs are damaged so the mounting face is running out of balance.

you could try filling down the leading edges of these new shoes and roughing them up a bit with 80 grit,do the drums too

I recently changed rear brakes with handbrake cables, suggest you get new rear brake cylinders, brake shoes. make sure both handbrake cables are in good condition, not sticking or are snapped. before adjusting hand brake, bleed brake system, make sure there is no air in system, release bolt under handbrake lever nearly completely, press foot brakes couple times, you shall hear clicking sound, mean shoes adjusting, than tight up bolt under handbrake lever.

Also make sure, all springs on place .

Thanks for your replies.
I'll try to solve it in the weekend.
WhiteSei -> Good idea with centering the drum with a helper pressing the breake pedal.
Don't think the hubs are damaged since the wheels are running fine when driving, it's only a problem when breaking.

Back