Technical :'( Faulty fuel injector or ECU on Cinq Sporting

Currently reading:
Technical :'( Faulty fuel injector or ECU on Cinq Sporting

Good lord, how much mark up on that throttle body?!? I mean sure a new one will be more, but it's not like it needs a brand new one, just one that works! Tbh, if it was me with amount of money spent on it which you'll never recoup, I'd keep the Cinq and sell the Smart. You'd get almost what you paid for the Smart back, but you'll only probably get a few hundred for the Cinq despite what's just been spent on it.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
agreed... that £50 for 'ecu reset' is cheeky as anything... All you have to do is unplug the battery which they should have done to do the work and it would have reset.

I'd demand that back, particularly considering they said they couldn't read the codes which in turn means they can't have connected to the ecu and done anything...

I'd like to see the new throttle body to make sure it's not just a second hand one!

My dad has a story about his brand new saab 96 back in about 1970.

He took it to the dealer for its first service - and they stole the carburetor and fitted an old one!!!!

Regarding which one is a keeper. If it was me I would want a good look under the rear wheel arches and boot carpet. As a few of the earlier cinqs need a bit of tlc in this area.

Well if everyone on here insists my garage has ripped me off then I think it's the Cinq that has to go.

I know f--- all about car technicalities and not prepared to fuss around with anymore repairs on a car.

"Demand your money back" - sure, it's as simple as that, or I'll just hire a lawyer at £250ph and take the garage to court for apparently scamming me and get my money back. Or, I should have taken the Cinq to another garage, when I had no transport to get to town and the car was undrivable anyway. . . simples. . .

My Smart has 3 months warranty but for £200 I can extend that to 1 year - it makes sense to do that and then replace it with a new car with warranty every year or so from then onwards.

-----

Do you reckon it would be better to list the Fiat from Southampton or Dorchester to speed up the sale?

i'm not suggesting that no.. I am saying i would be going back and asking to see the receipt for the parts they bought, there will be a markup of course but the prices all seem way off is all. To further my suspicions of them, I just had a look on my eper (thats the fiat parts system they use in fiat dealerships), mine is several years old now and the throttle body is listed as a discontinued part so it highly unlikely they could even buy a brand new one even if they wanted to, would have to be a random new old stock one on a shelf in a random garage, possible but very very unlikely. Nothing may come of it but its alot of money and i honestly think they have not done hardly anything or spent much at all but charged you the earth. General rule for future trips the garages, before they even look at the car tell them you want to see everything that they took off to replace and for them to tell you why, yeah they might get pissy about it but there is no real reason why they wouldnt unless they are trying to hide something. And as Eklipze3k says, there is no reason why they couldnt have sourced a used throttle body, considering the value of the car a nice garage would have at least given you the option of a useed replacement but told you it would have no warranty of any kind, would have been about £15 tops. And to add to that there is only 3 sensors on the throttle body, all of which could be changed without replacing the whole lot and apart from that there is just a fuel pressure regulator (never ever heard of one of them failing), only other thing that could be wrong with it is it be dirty - nothing there screams I MUST REPLACE THIS WHOLE THROTTLE BODY.

I guess my main point is if you don't ask you don't get, there is no harm in going back to voice your concerns over the matter - I don't use garages as a general rule but I have done and I have also gone back to complain and had refunds and looked at parts they have taken off only to discover there is nothing wrong with them etc. In doing so you should also get a feel of their character, noone likes people complaining but a good upstanding company will listen and be reasonable about it - it is afterall a customer service industry as well as just fixing stuff. If they are rude or unreasonable then you know that and you don't need to use them ever again. As someone who cannot fix their own car its always good to do this stuff, as you will eventually find a super nice garage that you can trust no matter what happens you can feel safe that they will just fix it and not charge you over the odds. Lots of horror stories out there but there is also lots of really sound garages out there, usually the back street ones that people avoid in my experience lol.

End of the day, we are all fiat people, we are gonna be biased as to what car we would keep. You do what you feel you want to and what seems the most sensible option for you - but as Purf says the main enemy of the cinq is rust, particularly around the rear arches.

So in summary, no we are not suggesting that you fork out on lawyers etc etc, just that you should stand up for yourself a bit, don't fear complaining about stuff just because you are not car savvy for want of a better term. Everything I say would apply if you keep the smart and it one day breaks down, just do not hand the car to someone with essentially a blank cheque (my wife works in a call centre for a warranty company, i can tell you they are not as water tight security as you may think, anything thats general wear will not be covered and there is come big expensive items things that come under that heading - so even with a warranty you could end up in the exact same boat as with the cinq). What is done is done but bearing in mind how much you just spent why would you not go in and say you are not happy, the worst that can happen is they tell you f'off.

Last edited:
Oh, side note... stick it in the classifieds section on here for a week or so if oyu want to sell the cinq - hopefully some mental enthusiast type from here will take it on and take good care of it. I know Sir16v was looking for a cinq recently (always is looking for cinqs lol)

Bad news

So, there's a new problem with the devil Cinq - it won't start.

I last drove it on Thursday night, a bimble around the village to make sure it was still working as good as it did on the A35 the day before.

Then I was away for the weekend and just 1 hour ago I tried to start it to move it off the drive way and it felt "dead".

I put the key in the ignition and the lights come on, when I tried to start the engine the key turns in the ignition no problem but for only a millisecond did I actually hear the engine trying to start.

It can't be anything too major as it drove perfectly when I got it back from the garage. I wonder if the battery is poorly as it was sitting in the garage for about 3 weeks before I drove it a couple days ago.

Any ideas from the wise FiatForum folks? I absolutley refuse to **** around with garages anymore.

Can't wait to see the back of the bloody thing now.

---

Sir16v please take note of this - I'll be on the phone with you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hello peeps, newbie here!

I had a big problem yesterday in my Cinq Sporting, sounded horrible on start up, would not rev past 2500rpm and speed would not go past 25mph with my foot all the way down - I had to stop after 1 minute of driving as it always felt on the verge of cutting out.

When the machanic from the breakdown recovery company had a look at it, he took some bits off of the engine and revved the nuts off poor little Fiat (had to cover my ears) and then said it was using too much fuel as it was gushing out quite a bit. . ?

He said it would either be the injector or worse case scenario, the ECU which could cost up to £1.5k to replace and take 1-2 weeks or more :'O

It's been at the garage since lunchtime yesterday and the mechanic phoned saying he'll try a new throttle body but I have to wait for the part to arrive. He said the cost of the repair probably won't be justified considering the value of the car.

The beautiful yellow Cinq has done about 59,250miles and is in perfect cosmetic condition - it's been my first car since I passed my test this January and the thought of having to scrap my darling little Fiat made me shed a tear!! (in private of course!) :'(

I'm in despair at the moment because living in rural Dorset (just outside Dorchester) I have no access to public transport and can't hire a car as I'm 18 so can't get to work - great having no income with a potentially huge repair bill on the way!!

Any suggestions or perhaps even reassurance from those who've had the same problem in the past would be much appreciated. . .

Lucy x

Ok as for the Ecu reset, what they priced is crap, I would get trading standards in as how are they meant to reset the Ecu if they can't plug it in? The only way is to disconnect the battery, looking at your problem now I can say it's the fuel pump relay. I will take a pic of mine tomorrow for you to see,

As for your new car, I hope you enjoy it, but I wouldn't sell the fiat, the smart car engines and gearbox are a common fault, I have replaced a lot in the past, I just hope you have a warranty with it,

Sounds very much like flat battery. Try recharging battery or jump leads . If jump leads work you will still need to try recharging battery.
If jump leads work and then recharging battery doesn't work, you most likely need new battery.
Good luck

Back