Technical Facelift changes

Currently reading:
Technical Facelift changes

Hello, i have done some searching on here and google, but failed to come up with more than the very basics, so i ask here if anyone knows or has a list of what the major upgrades were behind the scenes on the before and after facelift.
what little i've found:

• JTD was introduced early 1999 before the facelift
  • the grille changed and the badge went round in place of the 3 stripes
  • speedo and tacho got round dials
  • rear seats got a 66/33 split and 3 point harness for middle "seat"
but what i'm interested in really is whether the wiring loom got an upgrade, if the facelift has any other upgrades and improvements which make it more desirable/reliable than the pre-facelift version.

the reason for my question is that i'm *still* looking to replace my marea, the old one needs a new starter motor on top of the list in my MOT thread, that brings the total to over 200 euros repair bill (just for pieces) for a car that i bought for 800 euros 2 years ago, and have little hope of selling for more than 500 even after spending the time repairing it.
so, im considering returning the parts i ordered, saving my money and seeing if i can sell her to the gypsies for 3 or 400 for scrap, then buying something like this (sorry the adverts are in french)
http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/767078758.htm?ca=5_s
or
http://www.paruvendu.fr/a/voiture-occasion/fiat/marea/1168853084A1KVVOFIMAR
both have the same mileage, both are the same price, both look to be in nice condition, but the older pre-facelift one has had the clutch, and timing belt replaced recently, and to go and buy it would be 4 hours round trip instead of 8. any advice from the more experienced fiat owners would be much appreciated here.
im rubbish with decisions! :bang:

Last edited:
So you mean the "facelift" in 2001? It was just OBDII/engine sensor upgrade for the new ECU (+new clocks with the engine light instead of injector light)

The facelift was the 1998-99 with the introduction of JTD, different electrics (relay for low beams when hi beams were on for example, prefacelift was all through the stalk and they melted) and such.

No, but the old KWP2000 is still there and good as any with multiecuscan.

The OBDII 1.6 did get the same engine as stilo so it is crap compared to the old ones. And as with any pre OBDII, you dont need to worry about P0420 (not sure about diesels with this).
Facelift you see is just the newer Fiat logo.

Back