Technical exxey cutting out

Currently reading:
Technical exxey cutting out

littlephil

right, took the car out for a run, when i hit about 5000rpm it started to cut out and misfire, pulled over and it cut out. started easy ticks over for a couple of seconds then cut out, everytime i pressed the accelerator it would start to missfire then it fires and revs. At this point it seems that to keep the car running you've got to work the throttle pedal. won't run properly under 3000 revs, runs fine at about 3500 revs but its hard to keep it there. i think it may be fuel starving, the inline filter is clean. is there a filter anywhere else? could it be the fuel pump? Once its been stopped for a while it will fun fine as long as you don't take the revs up too high. what can it be? :bang:

Its the jets getting blocked up with debris.

Take one out at a time and clean it thoroughly. Make sure you don't drop anything down inside the carb (or anywhere else).

Sounds like the idle jets are clogged and the secondary main jet but you need to clean all of it to be sure.

There is another filter in the carb itself right next to the feed pipe but this is unlikely to be stopping much. The debris itself is likely to be in the float chamber already.

As an added thought if it idles ok, runs ok-ish with plenty of throttle but doesn't like very small throttle openings then you almost definitely have an air leak somewhere as well.

Last edited:
i thought it may be opening an air leak as in something is warping at high revs, it will be on the carb-ish area wouldn't it? the car was stood for a while so could have 'varnished' in the float bowls as well will blast everything off with compressed air. Just noticed your location jimbro. I'm in Accrington (just off the M65) i do a lot of work down there (i repair shopping trolleys for tesco) and know Urmston tesco very well :)

your right its irlam, big extra store. avoid the trolley lads they'll bore you to death :) do you talk like victoria wood down there then? i'm more of a Jayne 'orrocks up here ;-)

anyway good to see that there is some exxeys north of birmingham, thought they'd all but rusted away :)

Had this with our Briggs&Stratton mower.... removed & stripped the carb, blew the jets out with WD40 on the pipe, cleaned out the crap from the float-bowl and after re-assembly and refitting witha new gasket Robert is your Mothers bro dude... (y)

Saw a nice yellow one out on the roads today - absolutely pristene but going the other way on the motorway so it was just a fleeting glimpse...

Back