General Extra reversing light

Currently reading:
General Extra reversing light

Hi all,

It occurred to me, that as I have a spare place for a switch on the dash, that something could be added.

During these dark, wet nights, I find that the reversing light sometimes doesn`t give as much light.

Aha! How about fitting an extra light on the back, wired in so I could switch it on, I thought.

Googling however, doesn`t seem to reveal any such item. There are plenty of "reversing lights" but they seem to be switched on when in reverse. My thought was that I would only need it sometimes, so it would be better to switch on when needed.

So guys, am I on to something or is it a waste of time? :confused:

Many thanks.

Albeit on a larger scale I have seen a similar idea to what you are after.

I guy I knew had a 4x4, he fitted a work light that could be manually switched on to aid the reversing light.

Alternatively, if you can get one to fit, and be shipped, you could go for a 'fire and ice' set up like the yanks have on their 4x4s :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-FireStor...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c76aa003e

Otherwise you might be able to adapt these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Ice-Mu...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c74f01f17

Trev(y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yeah I found the same problem. I want to reverse out weaving pass neighbours car and in the winter this makes it hard. I've swapped reverse bulb for brighter led one but till crap.

Best bet I think would be, dash switch, run 12v down to the boot where u can pick up ground. Install one of the LED Fog Lights, ebay will give you a massive selection. Only thing u need to do is pick where u going to install it. If u get flat bar light u can have it at the bottom of the boot window facing out. Or u can feed cable through on of the holes in the floor of the boot and install the light under the rear bumper so it cant be seen. Most of these fog lights on ebay are sealed units so np to use them outside.

If you fit an extra reversing light you must comply with the regs.
They should be matched pairs, but if it is extra, e.g. under the bumper you will probably not get any hassle.
Any reversing light should be switched automatically from the gear selection, or must have a warning light. If you took the feed from the standard light, via a switch, to the extra lamp, you could then choose just the standard light , or both. This would meet the automatic requirement.
You will find difficulty using the unused switch position, as I believe these work via the CanBus system and the switch panel is a complete unit, differing according to fitment of front fogs, ESP, etc. Might just need an extra switch somewhere discreet.

I use the rear fog light when I feel I need a bit more light. It's the same power as the revers light(21W) and it's worked fantastic in the past.

Back