General Esp

Currently reading:
General Esp

TJetPete

"If in doubt, Flat out!"
I have a 58 plate 120 T-Jet Dynamic... Does it have ESP? Only reason I ask is that a magazine my girlfriend bought the other day says its fitted as standard. When I look up ESP on Wiki it says it's usually part of a traction control system, but I don't have the ASR...

Sorry if I've just asked a really stupid question! :D

kinda curious to find out what this EBD thing does, saying that I don't want to kill the car in the process of finding out :D

EBD distributes the braking force to apply less pressure to wheels locking up and more pressure to those that can grip better. Basically the computer can alter the braking force per wheel rather than your foot which affects all 4.

I run my car with ASR off the entire time because of the amount that my tyres slip under heavy acceleration, the car doesn't move anywhere when ASR kicks in.

It's the tuning box, if i'm going about 25 - 30mph in second gear and floor it the car gives off a sort of torque steer effect. It's really cool haha but if I try the same with ASR ON it dies and doesn't accelerate anywhere.

Last edited:
I have a 58 plate 120 T-Jet Dynamic... Does it have ESP? Only reason I ask is that a magazine my girlfriend bought the other day says its fitted as standard. When I look up ESP on Wiki it says it's usually part of a traction control system, but I don't have the ASR...

Sorry if I've just asked a really stupid question! :D

With Fiat ASR & ESP come together, but not all manufactures do.

ASR stops wheel spins when moving off and ESP brakes certain wheels when turning fast etc to help keep the car in the road.

EBD distributes the braking force to apply less pressure to wheels locking up and more pressure to those that can grip better. Basically the computer can alter the braking force per wheel rather than your foot which affects all 4.

:yeahthat: it's very good when on patchy ice and has stopped be becoming a cropper 2 winters ago, I completely disobeyed the no harsh braking when in a skid on ice, as I was heading towards a car and was adamant I was going to hit it regardless, going around a bend, so applied the brakes, and one of the OS wheels had traction and EBD pulled the car over just enough to avoid me hitting the other one :)

A bit of a thread revival. Does anyone know how to test the ESP - IE at what point it'll kick in etc etc out of interest?

ASR works fine, light comes on with the odd wheel spin, but just wondered if anyone knows if the light also flashes when ESP is kicking in (IE when you about to go, or are starting to go sideways etc?).

A bit of a thread revival. Does anyone know how to test the ESP - IE at what point it'll kick in etc etc out of interest?

ASR works fine, light comes on with the odd wheel spin, but just wondered if anyone knows if the light also flashes when ESP is kicking in (IE when you about to go, or are starting to go sideways etc?).

I doubt the esp lights up or flashes when it kicks in, because i've never seen a car that does that personally. i wouldn't recommend that you test it to be honest. you'd have to put the car in an extreme or low grip situation to do so. you wouldn't really sense anything either except the car handling better in that situation. What the ESP does is that it selectively breaks the wheels that are spinning so thats why

just curious, is it possible to have the hill holder with the dualogic ? I know it works when you release the clutch pedal. So the question really becomes is it possible to even have esp (which comes along) with the dualogic?

just curious, is it possible to have the hill holder with the dualogic ? I know it works when you release the clutch pedal. So the question really becomes is it possible to even have esp (which comes along) with the dualogic?

Yeah, I've got hill holder just like manuals do, holds it for upto 2-3 sec and then released if you haven't started to move off, or releases sooner if the clutch is at bite point. Works really well tbh (not that I get to use the feature much living in the flatest part of the UK).

I'm 50/50 on if the light flashes when ESP is kicking in. TBH I didn't think I had it at first, but went around a roundabout at a slightly silly speed a few weeks ago and the light flashed, but I was accelerating hard at the same time, so could have been ASR kicking in rather than ESP.

Like you say no real way of checking it really. I did try in an empty wet carpark the week before last, but as I've fairly good tyres it just griped to well :p :eek:

You can test on a test track.
I tried it in my old Stilo on a test track.
Just drive down a slalom course and at some point the back end will start to drift. At that point the ESP kicks in and brakes the rear of the car (you can feel the back lowring due to the braking). It also stops you from speeding up (I tried flooring it, but nothing happened).
And it works...:)
Very strange feeling but usefull as I now know what it feels like.

Hey, seeing you talking about ESP got me thinking of what happened to me a couple of times now:
with the car on a steep road the hill holder kicks in ... i believe .. but it's such a strange feeling sometimes it feels like it stays on longer that 2-3 seconds...like 10-15.
Could it be sticking breaks, or esp malfunctioning?

Any way of turning hill-holder off?

Hey, seeing you talking about ESP got me thinking of what happened to me a couple of times now:
with the car on a steep road the hill holder kicks in ... i believe .. but it's such a strange feeling sometimes it feels like it stays on longer that 2-3 seconds...like 10-15.
Could it be sticking breaks, or esp malfunctioning?

Any way of turning hill-holder off?

It has never happened to me, so maybe you have sticky brakes (or the hill-holder system is malfunctioning). It should only hold for 2-3 sec. or shorter if you drive off before 2-3 sec.

Do you know if the hill holder brakes only the rear wheels or only the front ones.. or all of them

Back