General Engine stalling

Currently reading:
General Engine stalling

El cargador

Hi All, a friend's car has developed an annoying fault, it's a 67 500F every now and again the intrument lights will go out and the engine will stall..it sometimes does it cold and sometimes whilst driving..I've tried touching cables and fuses but I can't reproduce the fault.anyone have any idea thanks in anticipation.

I had that when the dashboard ignition switch started to fall apart at the back and intermittently cut the ignition.

After the car stalls, does the car return to normal after letting it sit? Also, just so I understand, after the car stalls you loose all electrical power, correct? E.g., things that should have power even when the car is turned off no longer work, such as the horn, starter motor, dome light, etc.

Last edited:
Hi Toshi, a friend I just spoke to said to change the ignition barrel as well . I'll try that first. Thanks
With my switch I just needed to retighten the staged over tabs on the back which took up the play.
15F9768C-F052-4E2A-894F-5D5D4E52A516.jpeg

After the car stalls, does the car return to normal after letting it sit? Also, just so I understand, after the car stalls you loose all electrical power, correct? E.g., things that should have power even when the car is turned off no longer work, such as the horn, starter motor, dome light, etc.
That I don't know, she just turns the car off and on and it comes back to life, I went over to look at it Saturday but as always didn't repeat it again

Understood...does the driver recall if the generator warning light slowly came on after the engine stalled? It sounds like it didn't, so assuming it is an electrical issue, I'm guessing it might be a live wire that momentarily touches earth while the car is moving?

If you're confident that it is an electrical issue and the problem is the barrel:
The barrel attached to the steering column works much the same way, assuming you don't have a solenoid starter. You can check to see if the wires that lead to the back are secured and not loose. You may or may not have a set of Philips head screws (see attached photo)- if you do, tightening them might help. Also, there may be a cover over the leads to prevent access to these wires and theft of the car. If that's the case, you might need to remove the steering wheel to lift off the entire barrel/steering lock assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 37
Back