Technical Engine Stalling and black smoke

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Stalling and black smoke

Belfad

Good Day,

Can anybody please advice me on how to solve this issue, this has occured after a couple of days of heavy downpour:cry: it eventually flooded the streets. Any possibilities that the sensors have been fouled up or worst of it maybe the ECU? Any suggestion/s will be highly appreciated even sending it to the showroom during the weekend:yuck:

2001 Saloon 100 16v A/T

Cheers,

Last edited:
black smoke, so it must be a diesel, and it is overfueling. if it started during or just after very heavy rain then it is highly likely that damp electrics is causing a problem. in this situaiton the problem usually goes away once it dries out, and nothing helps it dry out better than driving it, and keeping it in a garage as well if possible.

Thank you very much for the quick reply Jug (y) , Is this also applicable to a petrol engine just like mine ? If I blow dry the engine bay will this resolve the issue?:)

Cheers,

a petrol engine shouldn't really have black smoke, blue (burning oil) or white (burning water), but rarely black. however the same principle applies.

a hairdryer wont help much, you dont know where the damp is causing a problem. a squirt of WD40 on electrical connections would be a better idea.

your car is probably overfueling (black smoke) because the sparkplugs are not sparking enough, and that commonly happens when damp gets into the coilpack connecitons or the HT lead connections. try spraying them with WD40.

if you leave the car to idle it will get hot, and that heat built up in the engine bay can help a lot with drying it out.

Last edited:
Back