General engine keeps running even after i remove key!??????

Currently reading:
General engine keeps running even after i remove key!??????

D10jimmy

ok, tonight when i turned of my car in town, ignition and everything turned off apart from the engine. it kept going for about 20 seconds and then stopped.
i thought, it had just been something odd and took no more notice.
when i went back later and started it to go home, i got message "check engine" and what i think is the engine management light is now on.

what on earth is going on?
car is a 06 mjet with 57k miles if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance, James

Happened to me 6 months ago after I went through a big puddle in the dark.

Engine warning light on etc.

When I restarted and ran it, switched off and restarted warning light was off and everything has been OK since.

I assumed the water upset it and subsequent service and inspection has shown no problems! So far!!!

probably worth a trip to a dealer/qualified service centre

if it happens again and there's smoke coming out of the exhaust stall it as quick as possible and get it towed as oil is leaking and will damage various components

probably worth a trip to a dealer/qualified service centre

if it happens again and there's smoke coming out of the exhaust stall it as quick as possible and get it towed as oil is leaking and will damage various components

I was going to say this. Sounds like it is dieseling. But normally when this happens the engine revs increase and terrible things happen :eek:

I saw this on a van once - it may be as simple as a knackered ingition barrel/connection. It was quite funny that they could start it with the key, but needed to stall to switch it off.

If the engine was drawing in fuel from somewhere else to keep it running, surely the revs would be erratic?

As there is no "ignition" as such on a diesel, they use a solenoid controlled switch from the ignition key-switch, turn the ignition off & the solenoid drops out cutting off fuel supply. Maybe the solenoid has stuck?

As said previously when lubricating oil is used as a fuel source because of oil seal failure they usually rev their nuts off until something expires....

The colour of the engine smoke may help here, black is diesel, blue is oil.

this has happened to me several times, but only when i go through puddles lol, electircs are on top of front passengers wheel arch, water can get into bottom of electrics, nothing much to worry about just try to avoid large puddles. Design problem......fiat lol.....

yep, hopefully it was just some water last night.
took it to garage this afternoon, and it wouldnt do it! typical, so anyway they took it for a drive, and cancelled the faults, and it hasnt happened again, hopefuly just a one off, car drives normally apart form that.
also, getting new glow plugs, see if that will improve the little starting issue.

thanks for the help, i will mention about the water and the solenoid tomorrow on the phone.

starting issue is a problem on the mjets at times if you start it with clutch in then its doesnt have to turn the gearbox over this helps also leave it another 2 seconds after glow plug lights go off someone once told me this and ive never had a problem since

starting issue is a problem on the mjets at times if you start it with clutch in then its doesnt have to turn the gearbox over this helps also leave it another 2 seconds after glow plug lights go off someone once told me this and ive never had a problem since

If the car isn't in gear in the first place, it's pretty pointless using the clutch when you start the engine :confused:

I had that problem once on a mk3 fiesta(when the lights were on). It would only stop running when you turned the lights off. Turned out to be the rear light bulb filament arcing across to the brake light filament in the same bulb.:bang:

If the car isn't in gear in the first place, it's pretty pointless using the clutch when you start the engine :confused:

Even in neutral the gears are still connected to the engine but dissconnected from the drive shafts. So pressing the clutch down dissconnects the clutch, gears etc from the engine.

I had this too, took it in this afternoon and it's having a replacement fusebox fitted next Friday!

Water had got into it basically and it did the same thing - wouldn't stop when the key was taken out.

This started happening to me today. Engine Management light comes on and message says Check Engine, when key is removed it runs for about 10 seconds then cuts out.

Will take it to the garage on Monday... does anyone know if it's okay to drive in this condition in the mean time?

Cheers
H.

I had this strange symptom just before Christmas. When i took it to my local Dealers near work (Clemo-Bradford) they looked at it straight away - they said they couldn't do a full diagnosis but as a workaround if I turned the ignition off while the gear was in reverse it turned off straight away. Have to admit I was dubious but it did the trick - only there 10 minutes so good work by the technicians and there was no charge - very happy with the service.
It did fix itself the next day but I just put it down to the bad (wet weather) and cancelled my full diagnosis with the dealer.
Not happened since either.

Back