Technical engine kaput

Currently reading:
Technical engine kaput

yan montego

Hi Folks The engine on my 1.1 mk 1 Punto is kaput is it possible to replace it with a 1.2 engine will it go straight in or will there be any electrical issues.
Thanks ian

No problem SPI for SPI, MPI for MPI.

Which, in traditional Punto speak, means Mk1 for Mk1, Mk2 for Mk2. You will need a spacer for the exhaust manifold to clear the sump.

Do try and see any replacement engine running -- do a compression test if you can. There's some dreadful tat out there waiting for the unwary.

Ah ha very interesting a spacer where would i be able to get such a spacer from
Thanks Ian

Hi is possible to convert a mpi engine to spi by swapping the injection system over. as I don't want to get involved in swapping ecu's
Thanks Ian

No. Inlet ports are very different, and any MPI ECU will expect an input from a cam sensor and a knock sensor. The Poles probably have a way round it, but it'd fail UK emissions.

The other way round is pretty easy -- use an MPI block with an SPI head and use the SPI pulley and water pump on the MPI block. That way you've effectively got an ordinary SPI engine, as far as the ECU is concerned.

But MPI for MPI is the easy way to go.

Hi How would I easily identify a mpi engine from a spi one
Thanks for the advice

so looking the images the air cleaner will be obviously different on a mpi to a sti.version
thanks for evryones help I have found a seconhand engine that I can go and see running today after 4pm its out of a 2000 mk2 punto if its a mpi model it aint gonna work in my 96 spi model.
Thanks Ian

Back