Technical Engine In Or Out

Currently reading:
Technical Engine In Or Out

Instructorcon

Hi there again

2004 2.0jtd ulysse eleganza, cambelt slipped a couple of notches causing damage to a valve in cylinder, car still running after new belt fitted but not drivable as only working on 3 cylinders (think thats what they are). what i need to know is can the head be removed and the valve repaired while the engine stil in teh car, or has the whole engine to be removed.

All help welcome, and many thanks

Andy

Potentially the head can be removed with the engine in situ, but the big problem on this car are the injectors, very often they get seized in the head and it becames very difficult to pull them out even with a proper injector extractor. If they do not come out, the engine needs to be removed and the injectors need to be drilled out.

Hope in your case the injectors will come out ease.

Good luck

Aren't the injectors fitted to the head?
If so can't the head be removed with the injectors still installed?
Would seem to be much easier to work on the injectors on a head off the car.

Aren't the injectors fitted to the head?
If so can't the head be removed with the injectors still installed?
Would seem to be much easier to work on the injectors on a head off the car.
Hi
I've got a similar issue with needing to get the head off the engine.
Engine is kapuut with no compression so current diagnosis is valves u/s but need to get in to the engine further to actually confirm or see what problem is.

Read lots of threads about the injectors being seized in if "unlucky", but just can't seem to find out how the injectors are actually supposed to come out ?

Any advice on the steps to remove, so that I can try to see if they will come out, would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi
the injectors are fitted in the inlet manifold which is fitted on top of the head, so the manifold has to be removed to get to the head bolts, this can only be done if the injectors come out !
if you can get the injectors out with the engine in situ the rest is straight forward, if not the engine does have to come out.
however with the manifold off there is a good chance that all you will have to do is replace all the rockers (yes, all 16) the valves might not be damaged ! so head can stay in place.
it is well worth a try but if the injectors don't come out it can get a bit expensive, though the engine is really quite easy to remove, it just comes straight out the front
takes a bit longer to put back though :eek:

Ok further update on my ulysse, had to put into fiat to have valve done, they have had it now 3 days and have just phoned me to say that i cant have back to day as they are finding it difficult to get injectors out, they are waiting for a tool which may help, and this is fiat i'm talking YES. god knows what will happen now, if fiat damage the injectors, are they liable to replace them or me ? not turning out nice this.

Andy

Hi Andy, you have my deepest sympathy!! My local Fiat dealer hadn`t got a clue about my Ulysse, its basically a Peugeot/Citroen, and they recommended I take it to Citroen. I ended up eventually at an independent mechanic who had to get the injectors drilled out. Fiat will not take responsibility for your injectors if they get damaged, and they should have may this clear to you before undertaking the job. I ended up spending £2750 on a car that`s worth about £3000 on a good day, with hindsight I would have been better scrapping it or breaking it for parts. Hope all works for you, best wishes, Brian.

:confused:Hi again

Latest update, now they have informed me that they cannot get the injectors out, even with the so called special tool, only way now was to drill out, not very cheap in the end, or they would swap engines over with my other ulysse, that they could not fix also, so i have decided to do this, at an extra cost of £200, £1600 in total.

The only good thing to come out of this so far is that the other engine has a new clutch fitted and this one needed one soon. So in the end two fiat ulysse's went into fiat to be fixed, and neither were. I will never buy Fiat again i know that. So £2400 later i may get a car on the road out of two cars, the other is now up for selling bits.

Thanks agin for reading my moans, but no doubt there will be another update when they find that they cannot even swap engines, oh well we shall see.

regards

Andy

I know how you feel, (been through this myself) but just remember this car is not a FIAT it is a Citroen so don't go and replace it with a car with a Citroen badge on it

Hi injectors can be removed 95% of the time with a hydraulic puller, Most dealers have a very weak and flimsy manual puller which is absolutely useless unless the injectors are already loose.

injectors can be removed with the engine in the car using this puller but the engine mountings need to be disconnected to get the engine as low as possible first.

this engine is fitted to fiats, peugeots, citroens and suzuki's and all have this problem.

just google seized injectors for lots of info and a mobile company to remove injectors

Back