Technical Engine Conversion From 1.5 to 2.0 Lancia

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Conversion From 1.5 to 2.0 Lancia

The volumex engines are a real rarity and a nice find if in working order. Yes it is a good choice providing you like superchargers. On the downside they are not just twincams with a blower slapped on the side, they had all sorts of internal mods that can make them a bit tricky when it comes to rebuilds.

Before the dawn of turbochargers the volumex engines was considered the best Fiat/Lancia powerplants you can get.

There is a wealth of information on the twincam engines (volumex included) on Guy Croft's website (www.guy-croft.com).

Thanks for the link (y)

This engine has no gearbox tho :confused:

what gearbox would i have to get for it? and do you know where i can get one?

Cheers

I would suggest getting in touch with the monte hospital and see if you can find something suitable from them. A montecarlo gearbox is your easiest option and should bolt straight on to a standard twincam engine.

Hey I looked on that website....they only seem to sell parts not a whole gearbox :(

i seen on the internet people put dual webers on X1/9...the same weber but two of them....can you just put them straight on...or do you have to do something to the engine first?

cheers

The gearbox and clutch fitted to the Volumex Beta engine was different from the rest of the range - but a bit of playing around with the parts bin will see you sorted. An engine in standard trim is around 135bhp but with enough torque to go up walls!!

It just so happens that Betas and VXs in particular were 'my thing' so feel free to drop me a line with any questions (y)

If I were you I would not fit the VX lump to the X1/9, the engine (as all Beta lumps) was designed to be inclined as in the Beta and with the blower and manifolds at the front of the engine it's a damn tight squeeze in the X1/9 (oh - and the Monte, which needs a bulkhead modification to get the VX lump in). Fine if you can graft it in but the inlet manifolds etc are unique to the VX beta and the inclined engine design - the practical upshot of which is you need to fabricate special manifolds so a carb fuelled engine will run right.
Way too much like hard work.

The VX engine is notorious for running bearings and oil pumps - the sump isn't properly baffled and to be honest it is an expensive engine to rebuild. I've done 4 VX engines to around 180bhp and it ain't cheap - even if you do it yourself.

I would look at Turbo over Volumex first - but if you find a VX engine they're kind of rare and kind of expensive :D Worth buying just to sell on :idea:

The volumex equipment is a tight fit in the engine bay but it has been done. The lancia engine tilt actually makes space in the X1/9 engine bay and has long been the preferred option for conversions to the twin cam.

I seem to remember someone recently completing such a conversion but I can't remember where I saw it...

Depends if you are talking about the standard engine or a twin cam...

For the standard engine a set of 36 or 40 Weber DCNF downdrafts are the best as they fit with minor effort - as long as you have a manifold to suit.

I picked up a set of carbs for NZ$150 (56 pounds!) and am getting a pattern made to cast the manifolds as we speak...

you can fit sidedraft DCOE's or downdraft IDF's, but both of these are bigger carbs than the DCNF and are apparently more of an effort/require bodywork modification to fit.

I have put a Fiat Tipo 1600 into mine - this is a much much more straightforward swap than a twin cam as it is pretty much the same engine - with a bit of work/grumpy cam/40DCNF's I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how well it goes....

Here is some work in progress pics of my dads x1/9 with 1.6 turbo engine and box from a lancia delta hf. Fuel tank is getting moved into the front and the intercooler going where it was with air ducted from the n/s air scoop to feed it. Gear selection is achieved by means of linkage and bell crank arrangement which has been taken off for finishing but does work rather well:) Exhaust system is under construction and the silencer set up will take up residence in what was the rear luggage compartment.

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Good Luck mightysisley with your project(y) where did you get the lancia engine from?

A rover V8...geez me dad has one of them in his Series 2 Land Rover....Goes well quick :D

not sure if it will fit in tho :confused:

Cheers

hello people i was wondering if you could fit a Rover V8 in a X1/9?

Looked at that one once before with dads turbo project before i sold it to him will not go in the front using rover box and a jag back axle like i considered, and rear mounting due to the size of the 3.5 v8 is a non starter me thinks.

:chin:But there again there was a x1/9 with a bmw v8 in it from a 735 and if I remember correctly he used a heavily modified strada box but he had to widen the rear section of the chassis by a few inches. This car was In Auto Italia magazine a few years ago.

Good Luck mightysisley with your project(y) where did you get the lancia engine from?

A rover V8...geez me dad has one of them in his Series 2 Land Rover....Goes well quick :D

not sure if it will fit in tho :confused:

Cheers

If I remember correctly dad got it from a guy who was advertising in the Auto Italia magazine he was breaking a well rusty delta, seen the engine running while it was still in the delta then spent the afternoon removing it.

Back