Technical Engine Control System Failure Warning Light

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Control System Failure Warning Light

RedSwoo

Freedom
Hi, I have just bought an 06 Stilo Sporting 3dr Multi Jet MJTD 120bhp 80k mileage.

The engine control system failure light has always been on since purchase. The car has reduced power in 4th and 5th gear. It slowly accelerates up to motorway speeds. The engine sounds fine and seems ok in lower gears.

The Owners Manual says:
Glowing Steadily means A fault in the supply ignition system which could cause high emissions at the exhaust, possible lack of performance, poor handling and high consumption levels.

Does anybody have any ideas what could cause this and what action I should take?

Thanks

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

Th engine management light (EML) could come on for various reasons. You need to get the fault codes read to get an idea of what's causing it. The codes could be read at any garage or you could buy yourself a code reader. As it's a 2006 car, any EOBD code reader should be capable of reading the codes. They're available cheap on eBay and elsewhere.

Dave.

hey, im no expert so i wont be much hlep but the best thing to do first is get the fault code read, then come back on here and try and find an answer to it. if you got a little waranty on your car hopefully the garage you got it from will be able to sort it out.

I had the same engine warning light on my 1.9 JTD, turns out it was a seized overboost valve/waste gate or something, hopefully it should be all fixed now. you could try reading the many posts on here about the overboost valave etc via the search and see if your having the same problem.

Dont know if this applies to this car as its a Renault ive seen this fault on before (Laguna 2, 1.9 DCi 120) but its doing the same thing but only once its reached the top 2 gears, or motorway cruising, and it was a

'Turbo Boost Pressure Too High' code, not sure yet if it needs the wastegate ajusting or needs a new sensor though.

You do really need to get your codes read though to know.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have been researching the EOBD and OBD2 Devices. It looks like my car will accept an OBD2 device such as the U380 which is on ebay and amazon for around £25 including postage. (cant post links yet sorry)

I have looked through the forums, both Bozzy and mhowse have been succesful with the U380 code reader. It sounds good to me, do you think so?

Ive not got one of those but one of the 'ELM327' devices from ebay, which worked very well for resetting fault codes etc,

Will work with any 'EOBD' compatible car (petrols made after 2001 and diesels after 2003 in europe)

OK. I don't have a laptop or PC that I can get near the car at the moment so I will go ahead and take a chance with the U380.

Got my new code reader today(U380 which I would highly recommend if you can use OBD2).

The code reported is P0238.

P0238: Turbo/Super Boost Sensor A Circuit High Input

I have been reading up on this code and I am wondering if this could be a Faulty Map sensor? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Back