General engine choaking

Currently reading:
General engine choaking

latif

when i step on the gas pedal on my marea weekend year 2000 2.0 20v vis, seems like the engine is choaking, although its 3 or 4 hp stronger then the older engine (with the aluminum intake), it does not have the kick that pushes you to the seat.
also when i release the gas pedal to apply breaks the rpm goes down to 300rpm sometimes even the engine turns off...
any tip or advice would be appreciated...
thanks.

Electric throttle -> does not feel the same as 147.
When you disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the car goes trough relearn cycle, drive like granny during the first 10km or so and shut it down. After that, drive normal.

I'd recommend cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, sounds like the throttlebody is sticking.

how do i clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, i am realy a new with fiat...

Well, fiatboo used to have guide on howto carefully clean the MAF.
Disconnect the battery.
Undo the two security torxes on the MAF and take it inside to clean it with IPA and cotton swabs, do not use any force.
If you don't know what youre doing, only cleaning the throttle body might be safer. The MAF is delicate and not cheap (got my Bosch for 130€ from Italy)

Remove airfilter cover.
Disconnect the resonator next to battery and the breather tube.
Unclip the connectors on ECU, they push themselves out when you lift the metal clip. Then remove the ecu and you can see the clips hoding the rubber duct and you can remove the inlet duct.
You might need new ones if you got factory clips in place, normal hoseclamps will do.

If you dont want to remove the throttle body, you can clean it at this point by hand or you can attach and plug the ECU back and use carb/TB cleaner while the car is running without MAF, the black stuff is oil soot so it will burn in the engine.

Or you can disconnect and unbolt the TB and clean it on workbench.

Last edited:
Back