Technical Engine chek light on

Currently reading:
Technical Engine chek light on

Not generic but I guess you could say cheap, it has the correct connector and semed to work OK for the first month, looks like I should buy a new one from Fiat and hope that that will fix it.

OK, replaced lambda again with one from Fiat £103 ouch, I can now see
the lamda voltage switching, car appears to be running and idling well. Hope issue is now fixed and car passes MOT (ie cat has not been damaged).
What happened to the first replacement lamda? was it just poor quality and failed or is there something wrong with car that wrecks lamda sensors?

What happened to the first replacement lamda? was it just poor quality and failed or is there something wrong with car that wrecks lamda sensors?

Glad it's reading for you now. I know after changing mine, the car went from 25mpg to 38mpg!

It was most likely just a cheap sensor, and not the engine killing it in some other way. When a sensor fails or if the car detects a fault, it runs in open loop fuel mode. This just wastes fuel and can cause very poor running in extreme cases. Check for fault codes over the next few runs just to confirm the repair.

Get your exhaust leak sorted or that too can give poor readings to the lambdaensr and cause the engine management light to come on.

When the CEL came on one month after replacing the lambda I thought that the exhaust leak was the potential cause.
Had Kwikfit replace the flexi, but leaked worse after they replaced it
Fitted a new crush seal and assembled with high temp silicone, and looks to have fixed the leak, but CEL wouldn't stay out so purchased OBD interface, everytime I reset fault it would reappear the next day, so replaced the lambda again. I hope this saga is over, I hate modern cars (OBD) I have a 15 year old motorbike and have much less trouble with it than I do with the cars. I want a car with no electric windows, no central locking, no aircon, no electric mirrors and no OBD, no cat, no lamda sensors, No MAP, no TPS, no MAF, but looks like I have no chance so the bike will do to satisfy these requirements, 4 carbs, 16v, 115hp, proper unsensored power.

Another week and CEL remains off, will be presenting car for MOT soon so hopefully emissions will be OK. So looks like a long saga due to a failing lamda, that was not diagnosed by local garage, followed by a poor quality replacement which failed after a month, all compounded by a leaking exhaust, just hope the cat is OK and can get some reliability.

Back