Technical EML after timing belt change (P0009-62/P0011-61)

Currently reading:
Technical EML after timing belt change (P0009-62/P0011-61)

andrewpsmith

Hi,
I have changed the timing belt on my 2017 Fiat 500 and have EML following timing belt change. I'm totally baffled as to what could be wrong and any help would be very much appreciated.

The car is 1.2 Pop (8v) 49,000mls. Owned since 2021. Following the timing belt change, I took the car for a very short drive and the EML came on. I checked the codes with MultiEcuScan and the following were present

P0009-62 - VVT (phase variator) - Signal Compare failure
P0011-61 - Phase Variator position - Signal Calculation Failure

I read that it is possible to check the timing of the car using two parameters in MultiEcuScan, so I did this. At idle the parameters read..

Cam position 0.00 deg
Desired cam position -2.00 deg.
VVT (Phase Variator) 0.00%

Before doing the job I purchased the (Laser) Timing set and used the Crankshaft Lock and Cam shaft lock from this set to secure the shafts before changing the Timing Belt. (I did make a step wrong here as I locked the shafts with the cam 180 degrees out from TDC, however I later check and was able to fit both timing tools at TDC. It was difficult to get the belt on with the locks in place as the right hand side (non tensioner side) was very tight, but it was possible.

The car sounds absolutely fine when running. I have read in some posts that a 'phonic wheel relearn' is required following a timing belt change but have read different opinions on whether this is necessary.

I counted 48 teeth on the Cam shaft sprocket and my maths tells me that if I was a tooth out, that would equate to at least 7 degrees (not the -2.00 I am seeing at idle) but maybe the cam moves a bit once the engine is running.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Andy

Solution
Just wondering if anyone knows the definitive torque on the Camshaft VVT pulley (1.2 8v 69 HP 2017)? I've seen a few different numbers whilst reading threads and other material so not so sure. (If I do take it off I'm going to replace the bolt - I have one on order from Fiat).
Have you tried resetting the code to see if it comes back?

Engine timing changed slightly even with the locks on so I'm just guessing it needs to be driven a bit to self-adapt. VVT hasn't activated at lower rpms so before taking it to a drive you might want to elevate rpms to over 5000 several times. If you are lucky these codes might disappear.

Of course you did align the auxiliary pulley hole correctly to the dimple on the crankshaft pulley? Obviously that isn't the issue now.

You could try with MES to force phonic wheel relearn procedure. Did you put oil into the solenoid when you put it back? I'm only speculating that if it had run dry for a bit ECU would just disable VVT and set those codes. :unsure:
Hi eeeno,
thanks again for taking the time to respond - it's a big help.

I've reset the code with MES and it cam back again a minute or two after starting the car. I was very careful to align the auxiliary pulley with the dimple in the hole, so I'm sure that the pulley is fine.

I haven't stressed the car in any way (i.e. high rpms) - I didn't want to try this in case the timing was/is actually out.

I didn't put any oil in the solenoid. I didn't know that was necessary after removing the valve cover. I've removed it a few times before and never had an issue with that. The VVT appears to be running effectively, as my MES trace shows it is maintaining a cam position around -2.0 at 2500 rpm (47% VVT). The issue is that at normal idle speed with 0% VVT the cam position is shown as 0.00 deg.

I haven't tried a phonic relearn yet. I'm a little bit cautious to do that because once I tell the car the timing is correctly aligned I suppose it's going to believe me, and if in reality I'm mis-timed somewhere I guess that could be a more serioud issue. (I think mis alignment is pretty unlikely with my tools installed - assuming I have the correct timing kit - Laser Tools 5033 Timing Tool Set - for Fiat 1.2, 1.4 8v)

Andy

Thus far, I've refrained from posting because I don't have much that's useful to add at this point, and don't want to confuse the OP further.

But I'm keeping a close eye on this thread. My other eye is on Fiat's documented cambelt change procedure in eLearn.

I'm also looking at this guide, which describes what is basically the elearn procedure in a user-friendly form.

The bit that's interesting is where it describes deliberately overtensioning the belt, turning the engine through a couple of revolutions to set the teeth into the pulleys, and then retensioning the belt. I'm wondering if this might move the cam position by the couple of degrees the OP is looking for.

Note that neither elearn nor this guide make any mention of loosening the cam pulley, or running phonic wheel learning procedures; these may be red herrings not relevant to this engine.

I'd say that @andrewpsmith seems to be doing all the right things, is clearly knowledgeable and competent, yet is running into the same sort of problems that have been reported here many times before.

We really do need to get to the bottom of what's going on; changing a timing belt shouldn't offer this many opportunities to get into difficulties.

Surely if the timing belt is replaced in such a way that the relative orientantion of the cranks and cam pulleys is the same as it was before, the engine can't know what's been done, and should work the same way it always did?

The lack of any timing marks doesn't help.

It'd help if anyone changing a belt on an engine known to be correct would add precise timing marks to both crank and cam pulleys, and compare these to where the marks are after the belt has been replaced and retensioned.

If we had such marks on this one, we might be better able to understand what is happening.

@andrewpsmith, did you also change the water pump?

Last edited:
However AppleFarmer's problem was resolved after he did the change in the official way by loosening the cam sprocket and got the belt evenly tightened. Hopefully that is the solution.

I have taken the same shortcut and 1.4 with VVT works fine without EML on. However I rotated the belt with max tightness several times, not just twice and many times after setting the tensioner correctly, checking the timing. I'd probably want to try the more difficult approach next time.

Thus far, I've refrained from posting because I don't have much that's useful to add at this point, and don't want to confuse the OP further.

But I'm keeping a close eye on this thread. My other eye is on Fiat's documented cambelt change procedure in eLearn.

I'm also looking at this guide, which describes what is basically the elearn procedure in a user-friendly form.

The bit that's interesting is where it describes deliberately overtensioning the belt, turning the engine through a couple of revolutions to set the teeth into the pulleys, and then retensioning the belt. I'm wondering if this might move the cam position by the couple of degrees the OP is looking for.

Note that neither elearn nor this guide make any mention of loosening the cam pulley, or running phonic wheel learning procedures; these may be red herrings not relevant to this engine.

I'd say that @andrewpsmith seems to be doing all the right things, is clearly knowledgeable and competent, yet is running into the same sort of problems that have been reported here many times before.

We really do need to get to the bottom of what's going on; changing a timing belt shouldn't offer this many opportunities to get into difficulties.

Surely if the timing belt is replaced in such a way that the relative orientantion of the cranks and cam pulleys is the same as it was before, the engine can't know what's been done, and should work the same way it always did?

It'd help if anyone changing a belt on an engine known to be correct would add precise timing marks to both crank and cam pulleys, and compare these to where the marks are after the belt has been replaced and retensioned.

If we had such marks on this one, we might be better able to understand what is happening.

Thanks very much for your note and for keeping an eye on progress, I'd be totally stuck if it wasn't for all the ideas/options to try.

I changed the belt, water pump and tensioner with a kit from INA. I've used INA a number of times and always found them to be high quality so I'm the parts are fine.

Regarding the tensioner, the first time I did the timing belt, I didn't over tension the tensioner, however I did do this on the second and third attempts. Same result every time.

In terms of the guide you linked to, thats identical to the one I followed, and as you point out it doesn't mention loosening the VVT pulley or doing the relearn. I don't believe that there is any way the VVT pulley could have slipped or moved so I I'm struggling to see any real benefit to undo and change the position of it now. The only reason I can come up with for slackening that pulley when fitting the belt is that it would allow the tension across both sides of the belt to equalise when adjusting the tensioner, this is not the case when the crank/cam is locked as it can only operate on slack side. However, as the cam is rotated a few times after moving, I believe the tension would equalise later anyway, and it is checked multiple times in the procedure without the locks fitted.

I've been considering whether a tooth out on any of the pulley's could result in a problem. The crankshaft pulley has 23 teeth (16 degrees per tooth), the Cam shaft VVT sprocket (46 teeth - 8 degrees per tooth), and the crankshaft sensor sprocket has 60 teeth (6 degrees per tooth) - so ruled all these out. I then started to consider the other part of the equation, which is the Camshaft Position Sensor. Which works from the other end of the camshaft).

I have a Fiat 500 2007-2014 manual and it says "The Cam/Crank Variation Relearn procedure must be performed using the scan tool anytime there has been a repair/replacement made to a powertrain system,for example: flywheel, valvetrain, camshaft and/or crankshaft sensors or components. Refer to appropriate Electrical Diagnostics article".

I'm currently working on the basis that this has nothing directly to do with the real position of the pulleys/belt etc. It is possible that in disconnecting some electrics (possibly with the battery connected), e.g. the VVT solenoid, the system has just lost/reset it's learned position of the Cam and defaulted the calculated CAM position to 0.00 deg as a result, and it's actual position needs to be re-learned. I guess this could also happen if the calculation derived from the two sensors (Crank and Cam) changed suddenly and the PCM decided it couldn't be trusted (e.g. if tighter belt fitted).

My second theory is that the old belt had stretched a tiny bit over time, I believe this would retard the Cam relative to the Crank, when I have put the new belt on it has advanced the toothed wheel the Cam Sensor works from (I think this is built into the cam shaft). This might equate to exactly two degrees, if there are 180 teeth on that wheel (unlikely).

Either way, this problem would in theory be resolved by a relearn, so that is what I think I am going to try next.......

The "standard".... Fitted new belt.. Got a timing error is a totally different Code (@AppleFarmer thread)

Yours would Appear to be VVT specific

Again... I have only read threads...

have yet to do my 500 (2018)

I noticed you have yet to do your 2018 500. My 2017 had done 49K, and I'd expect a timing belt to last much longer, but the service guide said it needs to be changed after 6 years max. From what I can see my existing belt is absolutely fine & my old water pump would have had many more miles in it. My car has been off the road for 4 days now and I planned on it taking one, possibly two days if I needed to get a part /tool I hadn't thought of. Who would have thought such a simple little car could prove so tricky :)

It is possible that in disconnecting some electrics (possibly with the battery connected), e.g. the VVT solenoid, the system has just lost/reset it's learned position of the Cam and defaulted the calculated CAM position to 0.00 deg as a result, and it's actual position needs to be re-learned.
Interestingly, in the guide I linked to, it says:

1694380238568.png

The first instruction in the Elearn procedure is also to disconnect the battery.

Surely it can't be something this simple?

I noticed you have yet to do your 2018 500. My 2017 had done 49K, and I'd expect a timing belt to last much longer, but the service guide said it needs to be changed after 6 years max. From what I can see my existing belt is absolutely fine & my old water pump would have had many more miles in it. My car has been off the road for 4 days now and I planned on it taking one, possibly two days if I needed to get a part /tool I hadn't thought of. Who would have thought such a simple little car could prove so tricky :)
Just to put some pressure off (or not)... isn't that engine a non-interference one?!

Just to put some pressure off (or not)... isn't that engine a non-interference one?!

It's generally believed that all 500 4 cylinder engines are interference.

From what I can see my existing belt is absolutely fine

Whilst I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from changing the belt at the recommended interval, posts reporting actual belt failure on the petrol engines are almost never seen on this forum.

Posts reporting issues after belt changes are commonplace.

Chain failure on the diesels is another matter entirely; we've seen quite a few of these.

Last edited:

Thanks very much for your note and for keeping an eye on progress, I'd be totally stuck if it wasn't for all the ideas/options to try.

I changed the belt, water pump and tensioner with a kit from INA. I've used INA a number of times and always found them to be high quality so I'm the parts are fine.

Regarding the tensioner, the first time I did the timing belt, I didn't over tension the tensioner, however I did do this on the second and third attempts. Same result every time.

In terms of the guide you linked to, thats identical to the one I followed, and as you point out it doesn't mention loosening the VVT pulley or doing the relearn. I don't believe that there is any way the VVT pulley could have slipped or moved so I I'm struggling to see any real benefit to undo and change the position of it now. The only reason I can come up with for slackening that pulley when fitting the belt is that it would allow the tension across both sides of the belt to equalise when adjusting the tensioner, this is not the case when the crank/cam is locked as it can only operate on one side. However, as the cam is rotated a few times after moving, I believe the tension would equalise later anyway, and it is checked multiple times in the procedure without the locks fitted.

I've been considering whether a tooth out on any of the pulley's could result in a problem. The crankshaft pulley has 23 teeth (16 degrees per tooth), the Cam shaft VVT sprocket (46 teeth - 8 degrees per tooth), and the crankshaft sensor sprocket has 60 teeth (6 degrees per tooth) - so ruled all these out. I then started to consider the other part of the equation, which is the Camshaft Position Sensor. )which works from the other end of the camshaft).

I have a Fiat 500 2007-2014 manual and it says "The Cam/Crank Variation Relearn procedure must be performed using the scan tool anytime there has been a repair/replacement made to a powertrain system,for example: flywheel, valvetrain, camshaft and/or crankshaft sensors or components. Refer to appropriate Electrical Diagnostics article".

I'm currently working on the basis that this has nothing directly to do with the position of the pulleys/belt etc. It is possible that in disconnecting some electrics (possibiy with the battery in), e.g. (the VVT solenoid), the system has just lost it's learned position of the Cam and defaulted it to 0.00 deg, and it needs to be relearned.

My second theory is that the old belt had stretched a tiny bit over time, this would retard the CAM relative to the Crank, when I have put the new belt on it has advanced the wheel the CAM Sensor works from. This might equate to two degrees, if there are 180 teeth on that wheel (unlikely).

Either way, this problem would be resolved by a relearn, so that is what I think I am going to try next.......
Interestingly, in the guide I linked to, it says:

View attachment 429612

The first instruction in the Elearn procedure is also to disconnect the battery.

Surely it can't be something this simple?
I definitely disconnected the battery, but I can't remember exactly when. I think first time around, I did the bottom part of the job with the battery connected as there was no electrics involved and then disconnected it when removing the valve cover. It's unlikely (but not impossible) that I pulled say the VVT connector before disconnecting it. If this parameter has been reset I guess a phonic relearn would correct it.

Just wondering if anyone knows the definitive torque on the Camshaft VVT pulley (1.2 8v 69 HP 2017)? I've seen a few different numbers whilst reading threads and other material so not so sure. (If I do take it off I'm going to replace the bolt - I have one on order from Fiat).

Solution
Firstly, just to be clear, I'm not an engineer so there will be many people on this forum with much more knowledge than me who can correct what follows. Here's what I did..

Attempt 1 - No VVT Loosen or Phonic Relearn - Car sounded fine but P0009-62/P0011-61 faults (over advanced) after a few minutes
Attempt 2* - No VVT Loosen or Phonic Relearn - Car sounded fine but P0009-62/P0011-61 faults (over advanced) after a few minutes
* was really careful to make sure all the timing was spot on.
Attempt 3* - Loosened VVT AND Phonic Relearn - Car sounded fine, test drive, no error codes
* was really careful to make sure all the timing was spot on.

When fitting the belt with both timing tools locked there is no movement in the pulleys. If you fit the belt on the tight side anti-clockwise from the crankshaft as per instructions, in a taught position it naturally sits with a tooth from the belt squarely on top of a tooth from the VVT Sprocket (I guess people would describe this as half a tooth out). You then have to make a decision as to whether to pull it really really tight, or slacken it slightly. I tried both ways. If you slacken it slightly, there is insufficient belt on the 'slack' side to get the belt around the tensioner, even when fully slackened off, I couldn't physically do it with the locking tools fitted. If you pull the belt really tight it is possible to fit it. I chose the 'pull in tight' option on both attempt 1 and attempt 2. After putting the car back together I got over-advance codes on both occasions. ( I also loosened the camshaft locking tool and fitted the belt one tooth over. i.e cam retarded 1/2 tooth, just to see what would happen and I couldn't refit the timing tool in this position)

The alternate option, and that specified in the service manual, is that you release the VVT sprocket. If you release the VVT sprocket so it is able to spin freely relative to the camshaft, it is easy to fit the belt and it finds a natural balanced position, you don't have to choose for yourself regarding the belt position or release the locking tools. You set the tensioner to it's maximum tension, you then lock the sprocket in that position with the front cam lock and all goes back together easily.

I marked my pulley up before starting this exercise and all appeared to be in exactly the same place before and after. It didn't appear to be any significant difference but may be the belt was actually a tooth different on the sprocket and the tensioning of the adjuster shifted the sprocket back to the roughly same point (even though this time it actually had more belt on the 'tight' side). I can't explain this I'm afraid.

Either way, when I put the car back together and idled it for 5 mins or so, I had no errors, both previous times I had over advance errors.

My advice based on this experience, is that if you are using timing tools in both the crankshaft and camshaft, then it makes sense to release the VVT pulley as per the Fiat instructions.

A few comments...

VVT Sprocket - I believe the VVT sprocket has around 30 deg of movement when the engine is running (see overview of VVT link below if interested or also fiat diagram attached.) Without the engine running the unit is locked from rotating by a lock pin internal to the VVT component (released by oil pressure ). I checked my VVT unit with the belt off and it had <1mm of play in it in the locked position. Not enough movement to explain any problems I was seeing.

)

VVT Sprocket Removal - The Fiat procedure says to do this with a "reaction wrench" on the camshaft splines. I did it with a 1/2 inch T55 drive and 30" breaker bar on the bolt head & a 24mm spanner on the camshaft to stop it turning. Two points here (i) the fiat manual does not use the little black sprocket lock tool at this point. [IMO If this is used then then the torque being applied to the bolt will be transferred to the internal lock in the VVT unit and I wasn't sure if that was appropriate] (ii) I made sure the sprocket lock tool from the rear of the camshaft was removed as I didn't want to damage the camshaft , but this has the disadvantage that it allows the Camshaft to move unless the 24 mm spanner is locked in position. Someone brighter than me can may be explain the safest/best method to remove this pulley.

VVT Sprocket Installation Tool (small black tool) - This tool is an L profile. I believe most people fit it with the flat face on the cylinder head (there is a picture like this in the Sealey Timing Tool guide for example) - attached), however it appears to be designed with an L shaped profile because the L shape hugs the profile of the cyclinder head. This means the edge of the cylinder head is stopping rotation of the tool not the tightness of the retaining bolt. The bolt serves only to hold it securely. That said to fit the tool as it is designed and specified in the fiat instruction, requires the 'timing belt side protection' to be removed (see attached picture of side protection blocking tool). This only has two bolts but one is under the manifold heat shield, so that has to be removed as well. Personally, I decided not to bother at that point and went with the flat face orientation :) . IMPORTANT - the bolt that comes with my laser tool is the wrong thread for my cylinder head. I used one of the engine mounting bracket bolts to hold it in place (during installation) with a nut from one of the other brackets to effectively shorten the bolt length.

Belt Fitting 2
- With the sprocket bolt loosened, the belt fitting is easier. The tensioner is set at it maximum tension prior to tightening the VVT sprocket bolt, then adjusted later. To ensure the sprocket doesn't move during tightening the VVT Sprocket Installation tool is fitted. I thought there was a bit of play in this tool (possible because I hadn't removed the rear timing cover), so marked the rear of the Sprocket against the cylinder head with a paint marker to check it was in the exact same place after torquing up. I also used a wrench on the camshaft (rightly or wrongly) because I didn't want to stress anything.

After tightening the pulley, I went through the usual process of rotating the engine & adjusting the tension a few times as per instructions.

MES "Cam Position" Parameter. After putting everything back together the Cam Position parameter was 0.00 deg at idle. I have done two re-learns since then, one without MES, once forced, and driven 50 miles and it is still at 0.00 deg at idle, so I have come to the conclusion that this is the default setting at idle. ( I monitored cam position in MES for the whole of the 50 miles and it stayed in line with the desired position pretty much the whole time). There are other parameters "Learned VVT tooth position[1]" but I didn't check these so not sure if/when they changed during the relearn.

Phonic relearn. The official fiat documentation from 2007-14 says "The cam/crank variation relearn procedure must be performed using the scan tool anytime there has been a repair/replacement made to a powertrain system, for example flywheel, valvetrain, camshaft and/or crankshaft sensors or components." I think this makes sense as a tiny shift ( the calculated position of the crank sensor relative to the cam sensor caused by e.g. a tighter belt, could presumably upset it. My understanding of a phonic relearn is that it can be done without MES by revving the car to 6K 3 times once it has reached operating temperature (some people say 4K or 5K). I did this but I have no idea if it has any impact as my engine light wasn't flashing before I started. I was expecting the actual cam position to change from 0.00 deg at idle so was monitoring it but subsequently relalise it doesn't change. It could be that the "Learned VVT tooth position[1]" (1-6) parameters changed but I have no idea as I wasn't monitoring them til later. I subsequently ran a phonic relearn with MES and it is much more visible as the engine light blinks, and then clears once it is run. (There is also a "Phonic Wheel learn status" but this seemed to change from "Not Leaned" > "In progress" > "Performed" each time I started the car, but I need to check that again as it seems wrong)

My final thoughts/opinion here are:

(1) Releasing VVT Sprocket. If using timing tools in the crankshaft and camshaft, releasing the VVT Sprocket seems to be the most reliable method to ensure the belt is fitted in the correct position. (This does release oil from the VVT sprocket cap so useful to have lots of rags under the sprocket at this point) but other than that is pretty straight forward..

(2) Phonic Relearn. If using timing tools and releasing the VVT as above, then the timing has to end up accurate. The fiat service guide & lots of other comments on forums say to run a relearn afterwards. It takes a few minutes extra to do so and in theory can be run without MES. I can't think of a reason not to (if the timing is in a known good state & the engine sounds fine prior to revving to 6K RPM).

It is clearly possible to do a timing change without the use of timing tools by marking the pulleys, there are lots of video's showing people doing this. It may be that using this method the pulleys settle into a more neutral position than they do when using timing tools and fitting the belt with the correct number of teeth on each side is easier as there is play in the system (removing the 1/2 a tooth out scenario). I can imagine marking the pulleys and the old/new belts could result in reliable fitting, but if and when I do one of these again, I'll be (1) using timing tools and (2) releasing the VVT sprocket and (3) running a phonic relearn.

Attachments

• Fiat 500 - VVT Operation.png
    Fiat 500 - VVT Operation.png
    243.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Fiat 500 - VVT Diagram.png
    Fiat 500 - VVT Diagram.png
    602.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Sealey - Timing Belt Replacement Guide - VS4950.pdf
    930.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Thank you for getting back to us! This has been very educational for me too and I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue. Congratulations!

So it isn't rocket science but certainly there's lots of tools and planning involved. VVT engines are very fussy about the timing, so it's better to forget about the old methods.

p.s. Thank you massively for everyones help enabling me to resolve my issue. If you have any comments/feedback it would be very welcome.
Hi
Thanks for posting the entire procedure, it is really helpful
I just wanted to know that when did the Phonic Wheel Relearn uisng MES where you able to do it using the free version or did you have to use the paid registered version
Thanks

Hi
Thanks for posting the entire procedure, it is really helpful
I just wanted to know that when did the Phonic Wheel Relearn uisng MES where you able to do it using the free version or did you have to use the paid registered version
Thanks
I purchased an MES license a while ago as I needed it for another fault so I'm not 100% sure. From what I remember you can't do very much without a license. The "Supported Functions" table on this page tells you what you can do...https://www.multiecuscan.net/Default.aspx. It says "Reset/Programming functions - No". Also Check here https://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx. This will tell you which modules are supported for your car, and also which interface cable you need (if any). If you don't have MES at the moment, I think there is a fairly high chance you could make the timing belt change and not get any errors. You may not ever need to do a phonic relearn and in theory there is still a way to do it without MES by revving the engine three times (see earlier post) . Worst case you'd need to get an MES license if you get problems.

Vielen Dank, dass Sie sich bei uns gemeldet haben! Das war auch für mich sehr lehrreich und ich freue mich, dass Sie das Problem lösen konnten. Glückwunsch!

Es ist also kein Hexenwerk, aber es sind auf jeden Fall viele Werkzeuge und Planung erforderlich. VVT-Motoren sind beim Timing sehr wählerisch, daher ist es besser, die alten Methoden zu vergessen.
Hallo
Ich bin hier neu und habe gleiches problem , wie habt ihr dieses problem gelöst ?

Back