General ELX Tyres

Currently reading:
General ELX Tyres

I currently have 195/60/15 tyres on a Marea 20V ELX, Something Speed on the front and Woosung (??) on the back. The rears are starting to go home but the fronts are still ok. The car handles like a wobbling jelly though so I might just change all four to the same manufacturer and be done with it.

I see from a quick search that people have all sorts of tyre sizes and makes and wondered if I should try a different size as well as the same manufacturer for all four.

Anybody have advice on 50 section tyres on standard rims compared to a 55 or 60 section as regards handling and cornering roll? Or other suitable sizes?

Cheers,
Nick.

i have 195/50/15, and i'd recommend it (y)

you get a firmer ride so cornering is more stable, but at the same time they arent so hard that you sacrifice low speed ride and comfort. plus 195/50/15 tyres are very cheap (y)

only problem is if you lower it you end up so low that you cant go over speed bumps, but it looks great so i dont care :D

Thanks Jug, I was also wondering what was the maximum width I could fit. I wonder what difference a 205 width tyre would make to the handling if it would fit the standard rim?

edit: I see you have a 20v saloon. If it's that bad get some quality rubber on, check the tyre pressures and get the droplinks replaced.

I have the 2.4JTD Weekend which uses 195/60R15 tyres. Currently I've got Michelin Energys on the front and Pirelli P7s on the rear. Handles fine apart from a bit of understeer at the front so a change to grippier tyres might help.

As for dropping tyre size - it's going to make your speedo over-read a load. Also remember Jug is on 195/50R15 on a Bravo which is a much nimbler car.

Maybe replacing the drop links and putting decent tyres on may help improve the handling.

The lower arms do need replacing, and are on the list, but one of the tyres is beginning to perish and needs replacing immediately. Obviously, If I replace one tyre with a different size I need to do them all at once ;).

Thought I might as well get some decent rubber on to start with and then attack the arms.

If the speedo over reads, I should be able to avoid speeding fines and, just maybe, a 205/50 tyre will look a little sexier :cool:

205/50 will be expencive and will be 'interesting' in the wet.

No need to have all the same size - just keep it the same across the axle.

As for arms - I'd do them first THEN the tyres otherwise you may scrub the sides off your new tyres.

The arms and tyres will be replaced within days of each other and I forgot to add that the tyre that is perishing also has a screw in the tread causing a slow puncture!!

The Evo boys rate Toyo Proxes highly and I notice Elite Direct have both the 195/50 and 205/50 at a reasonable price. Fitted for £52 and £58 respectively.

Hi, I got two Good Year Eagle NCT 5's for £50 each fitted a few weeks ago. I get Good Years because I find they ride well in dry or wet weather, are quiet and durable. Tried Pirelli's but they didn't last long on the front compared to the Good Years. I have a standard Marea HLX with the 20V engine and 195/55 VR15 tyres. Took the car to 100+ mph on an autobahn a couple of years ago, Good Years made the car feel relaxed and planted. Have to say I think Michelins are totally over priced for what you get, sorry Michelin fans.

1997 Marea HLX 2.0 20V saloon

Back