Technical Electrical trouble

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical trouble

AlP38

Hello all, I have recently purchased a 1978 fiat 124 sport 1800, my main issues are electrical. There are many wires hanging under the dash, and plenty of spliced stuff. Can anyone give me any sort of guidance as where to start. As of now, wipers don't work, nor headlights, or reverse lights. No high beams or turn signals. Tach doesn't work, nor the battery or oil psi light, Gas gauge doesn't work but the low gas light will flicker occasionally on hard braking. dash lights and side marker lights work but only in the middle switch position. I can post pictures of anything people would like to see. The issue I am having is I don't think many of the wires are the right colors (or in the correct spot). Also, I do know that the lights and stuff work, as I had pulled only hot live wire to just a fuse section and they came on, again, only with the switch in the middle position. Any help is appreciated.

Many Thanks!!!

Most of what isn't working is iirc controlled by the switches on the steering column. when you say some lights work but only when the switch is in the middle position - which switch do you mean? the large column stalk/lever?

The low fuel warning light coming on under heavy braking sounds like the grey with red tracer wire from the fuel tank that feeds the low fuel w/l is shorting to ground somewhere - this is how the l/f warning light is triggered, the grey/red wire to the sender unit is grounded when the fuel sender unit float arm reaches a low position in the tank.

Do you have a wiring diagram for this car? If not, I can check the diagram I have and trace where the wires should go that are hanging down under the dash if you tell me which colors you want to trace or post pics.
The splicing of wires might have been done as a workaround for a faulty column switch unit?

Back