Technical Electrical gremlins

Currently reading:
Technical Electrical gremlins

What's up guys, I have a 2014 panda and have a couple issues, firstly both daytime lights have a problem where the car melts the contacts of the bulbs within about a week, second issue is whenever I start the car it will throw lights, airbag failure, abs failure, power steering failure and it will say there is excess coolant and to turn the car off, along with that the speedo and rev counter will not work, oh and it will say the tank is empty and its overheating, this lasts about 10 seconds and then everything returns to normal. Why is my panda treating me like this ? 😂 First thing I'll do is the old off and on trick by disconnecting the battery, beyond that i really don't know ? I have just installed a full sound system but I really doubt the radio loom has anything to do with anything.

Last edited:
A failing battery causing excessive volt drop when starting can cause various falt lights activating.

A failing battery causing excessive volt drop when starting can cause various falt lights activating.
I've messed up something with the radio, if I unplug it the gagues come back, doesn't fix the check engine and airbag though, not sure what's going on as I haven't touched the oem harness, only modified the radios.

Last edited:
I've messed up something with the radio, if I unplug it the gagues come back, doesn't fix the check engine and airbag though, not sure what's going on as I haven't touched the oem harness, only modified the radios.
The Fiat radio is connected to the canbus system and body computer. Messing with its wires may have affected the controller system that makes other stuff work. For example, there’s a computer link between the original radio and the speedometer sensor, so the radio gets louder as you drive faster, and another thats controlled by the car lights. Then there’s the link between the radio and the computer’s security systems (it doesn’t need a code but won’t work in any other car), and links to the Bluetooth system that in a separate box. Also the computer has in-built timers to automatically turn the radio off after 20 minutes if you forget to do it. The original radio is a pretty smart bit of kit and not all aftermarket versions are so clever and can lead to electrical issues.

The Fiat radio is connected to the canbus system and body computer. Messing with its wires may have affected the controller system that makes other stuff work. For example, there’s a computer link between the original radio and the speedometer sensor, so the radio gets louder as you drive faster, and another thats controlled by the car lights. Then there’s the link between the radio and the computer’s security systems (it doesn’t need a code but won’t work in any other car), and links to the Bluetooth system that in a separate box. Also the computer has in-built timers to automatically turn the radio off after 20 minutes if you forget to do it. The original radio is a pretty smart bit of kit and not all aftermarket versions are so clever and can lead to electrical issues.
Mine didn't have Bluetooth, it's why I swapped it, I haven't touched the oem harness and the radio was fine until I spliced in a switch and hooked up the subwoofer, but there's nothing I did that immediately caused issues, all I've done is cut 8 wires to splice the new speakers in and then added in a switch so the radio can turn off as the oem harness wouldn't allow that

Back