Technical EGT sensor location? 1.3Mj 2008

Currently reading:
Technical EGT sensor location? 1.3Mj 2008

notdave

This may be a very silly and naive question, but after lots of googling and searching for Haynes and workshop Manuals I’m really struggling.

The car recently threw up a p2081 code, EGT sensor intermittent error, but it’s on everytime I start the car. now this should be a fairly simple temp sensor and I have the test procedures for when i can find it, most of the time it’s a burn or unplugged wire apparently, but i can not for the life of me find it without dismantling the radiator.

So where is the bugger, does anyone know and can give me a clue?
Is it accessible without dismantling the DPF, from under or over the car?
The Haynes manual conveniently show it with a pdf out of the car.

Thanks
Not Dave

2008 diesel 1.3 multi jet 500

Me thinks it's screwed into the top of the DPF, just to the right of the turbo.
The sensors tail reaches up and back towards the engine block.

timthumb.jpg

Shiny thing screwed through the back of the heat shield, top middle of the image.

You can check the resistance with an ohmmeter by probing both terminals in the sensors connector.
A good EGT will have about 150 ohms. If there is very little resistance, say below 50 ohms replace the sensor.

If you can get the sensor out, you can use a hair dryer or heat gun and heat the sensor while you watch the ohmmeter, the resistance should drop as the sensor is heated and rise as it cools.

You can also test the feed.
Probe the loom side of the connector, it should read 5 volts. If it doesn't you have a wiring or ECU fault.

Back