Technical egr valve

Currently reading:
Technical egr valve

First post, forgive me if i get it wrong!

My 96 campervan (2.5TD engine 8140-47R) has what i believe is a vacuum operated egr valve near the intake manifold. There is a flexible rubber pipe coming off this valve, the connection on the valve is OK but the other end has come off (what?) and has a small split. Can anyone help me with where this pipe goes please? I removed the large air hose to get better access but still cannot see where it might have connected. Its a shortish pipe.

Thanks

George

Typically, an EGR valve requires a controlled vacuum input to operate it.

A bit of research revealed the following thread, which may be of interest.

The link to citrotech provided by Moodrater is quite interesting, even if not fully applicable to your engine.

Scroll down to page 4, where items 25, & 26 are the solenoid valve operated by the ECU, and the EGR valve respectively. In the system depicted the solenoid valve is just an on / off device (not modulated).

You are therefore looking for a solenoid valve, with vacuum pipe connected on one port only.

Points to consider. Is it possible that the solenoid valve has been removed? Alternatively was the short vacuum pipe connected to a longer one, which is hanging loose or missing? Somewhere there should be a connection to the vacuum system, possibly blanked off.

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/333159-1997-2-5-tdi-ducato-8140-47r-ecu-diagnostic-port-egr.html

Many thanks. I see what looks like a solenoid valve but no 'spare' ports. As you say, a longer pipe may have dropped down somewhere so i will investigate again when it gets dark. Since the pipe end is split perhaps it wasn't doing anything anyway?

Thanks again, George

firstly the 1996 2.5 8140-47r is a tdi Iveco engine and was manufactured without an EGR valve or ECU it WAS manufactured with a Catalytic converter. so this pipe or missing piping may be associated with this. can you post a picture ? I have same year and engine without a CAT so may be able to have a look to compare.

I think i have added a photo. It is very definitely a egr valve. There is also a basic Bosch ecu. My mate has the same engine but not the egr part I have. I looked again for where this short length of rubber hose might go but nothing was obvious.

Curiously i had a run to the local shops yesterday without this pipe connected and the engine definitely felt more powerful than normal!

I see various references to blanking off the egr valve. When i previewed the post, the picture was showing 90 degrees anti clockwise

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• 20200503_122342[1].jpg
    20200503_122342[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
Back