Technical EGR Valve -

Currently reading:
Technical EGR Valve -

Did you notice any power loss before this problem?

I have a power dip at around 1800rpm – common sign that egr is clogged – Not too much of an issue for me, but it’s a pain on the Mway.

However I have my Engine Management Light on now so I wonder if its related. Gonna take the EGR off and clean it anyway.

Weird thing is that the EML light has only been on since the start of the year?

P.s could a failing battery cause an EML error?

Took about 2 - 3 weeks of power loss / hesitation for my EML light to come on when my EGR needed changing.

Thanks Mr. Foxxy!
(y)

Il give it a clean and see if it solves the issue!

Keep an eye open for x2 hidden oblong shaped venturi inside, about 2cms wide, easy to miss those... I found them with the aid of a sturdy cable tie... they were hell to clear out. Make sure the solenoid operates smoothly too or you'll waste your time & hard work.

Roughly how long should i be looking at to complete this job?

I spent an afternoon cleaning my old EGR out as a spare when I got my car back, but honestly...?

Fit a new one dude... its an awkward job with anything but the fingers of a harp player.../ pianist. :p

Slightly off topic but saves a new thread...

...Iv still to clean my EGR or do anything as i havnt had time, but ive noticed theat my car dosent make the TSHHH or any other noise anymore with the GSR kit fitted, could this be something else along with the EGR...

...please do not say turbo!!!

Bit of an update. Took the car to fiat for the EML and they confirmed it was the EGR valve, they couldn’t say if it was knackered or not. So I took it off on Saturday and all associated pipes with it, they were full of sludge and crap, so gave it a good clean out.

The pin on the electric part moves freely and so does the pin through the valve so I don’t think it has seized.

Used carb cleaner to get most of the crap off, then used a small brush and old toothbrush for the pipes and the valve, and finally dipped the valve in a jug of coca-cola lol, didn’t leave it too long and that removed the remaining crap.

Valve back in the car, and much better, no flat spot and more and the car seems to fly now….i must of only had 30bhp before.

However GSR still doesn’t do thr Tsshh noise or the chatter noise. :(

The EML is still illuminated, but will this reset after a few drives.

Think I can be added to list of EGR failures. Car has lost power it used to drag me up an hill at 50 in 6th gear and was trying to pull away and now it is struggling in 5th and I am even having to drop it to 4th as I am losing speed with my foot to the floor. On a flat road there is little acceleration and then suddenly a big whoosh of power.

Also have noticed a small judder when the engine is switched off that wasn't there before. No EML as yet though. Car is a 57 plate 1.9 MJet with 17k miles on it.

It is booked in at my local garage on Friday for a once over.

I am right in thinking the Saab part no. is B1055215032.

And the Vauxhall one is: 55215031 (same as the Fiat part no.).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Think I can be added to list of EGR failures. Car has lost power it used to drag me up an hill at 50 in 6th gear and was trying to pull away and now it is struggling in 5th and I am even having to drop it to 4th as I am losing speed with my foot to the floor. On a flat road there is little acceleration and then suddenly a big whoosh of power.

Also have noticed a small judder when the engine is switched off that wasn't there before. No EML as yet though. Car is a 57 plate 1.9 MJet with 17k miles on it.

It is booked in at my local garage on Friday for a once over.

I am right in thinking the Saab part no. is B1055215032.

And the Vauxhall one is: 55215031 (same as the Fiat part no.).

Thanks in advance for your help.

I can confirm that is the correct part number (y)

Just got the car back from the garage and it was the EGR valve. As I was dropping the car of the EML light came on and the 'Check Engine' warning sounded.

Garage did a diagnostic and identified fault P0488 "EGR Circuilt low" so fitted a new EGR valve. Total bill £242 of which the RAC has agreed to pay £197 so I had to pay £45 for the diagnostic.

Will give the car a spirited run tomorrow to see if it OK but the on 3/4mile back from the garage performance seem to be back.

Question to save a new thread.

Anyone with EGR problem/failure with the GSR Kit. I used to notice that my GSR kit was “quite” loud, and gave several noises when you took your foot off the pedal, and sometimes a “wastegate chatter” noise, lol – turned heads! I have noticed that the kit now makes no noise what so ever when foot is taken off the accelerator. Has anyone else came across this, and has it been resolved after changing or repairing the EGR valve.

I have checked to ensure the filter is connected ok to everything.

Yes - when my EGR failed on the GPS, it stopped the chatter from the kit/turbo. However, rather than replace it straight away, I would give it a clean out and see if that helps. If not, you can fit a new one. Make sure you buy it from Vauxhall though, it's cheaper :)

Yes - when my EGR failed on the GPS, it stopped the chatter from the kit/turbo. However, rather than replace it straight away, I would give it a clean out and see if that helps. If not, you can fit a new one. Make sure you buy it from Vauxhall though, it's cheaper :)

Thanks for that, glad to hear you had same noise issue as me, i was thinking it may have been turbo dying or possibly a fault with the AFM.

Ive already cleaned the valve out, but gonna give it another clean over the weekend, if not new valve time. Yeah was planning on getting vauxhall one. :)

Back