Technical EGR Valve -

Currently reading:
Technical EGR Valve -

Minardifan

My good lady has Just had an Engine Management light come on and after spending £72 on a diagnostic at a main dealer - have been told that it is the EGR valve that needs replaceing - car only done 32000 does this seem right (sorry 1.9 Multijet engine ) has anybody else had this problem - have been quoted roughly £160 inc vat and labour - HELPoh purveyors of all things FIAT

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to mention that the Mechanic said that the valve was corroded - and was a known fault on some cars with a 58 plate anybody else heard of this am going to ring fiat and have amoan - about the cost etc anybody else had any siccess aor probs of this nature - car commutes 20 miles each way on motorways

Sorry forgot to mention that the Mechanic said that the valve was corroded - and was a known fault on some cars with a 58 plate anybody else heard of this am going to ring fiat and have amoan - about the cost etc anybody else had any siccess aor probs of this nature - car commutes 20 miles each way on motorways

valve corroded,i think he means the solenoid in the electrical part...mines done the same,but ive had it all apart to day and the lights still there... booked in 9am at the garage

I thnk so but am going to ring any way - Mechanic said it would be worth while - more info coming from Wifey has now said that the mechanic has said he has changed a few of these but on cars youger ?????

3rd Year Dealer Warranty*
This warranty covers most electrical and mechanical components in the third year, or up to 60,000 miles from the date of first registration, whichever occurs first. The warranty is provided free of charge and is subject to conditions (full details are available from your Fiat) dealer.

from a fiat dealers website

Yes it is known about, the price quoted seems reasonable if its, part & labour. Look at the 3rd year Warranty solution & consider having a "swirl gasket" fitted.

My car suffered this just out of Warranty & a new EGR fixed the issue permanently.

Thanks for all help will keep you updated re Fiats response - What is a swirl gasket ?

Fits between the EGR & the engine to prevent the soot build up that blocks the EGR up & causes the solenoid to stick too. Cheap to buy & ideal time to fit if the EGR has to come off.

Many thanks for help advice and support She finally got her car back this afternoon Monday - changed the EGR valve and then the Engine mangement light would not clear - eventually a engineer was sent from Fiat UK who got it sorted better news is that they have covered it on the 3rd year warranty - so that was a result but she did not Like the cute 500 that was her courtest car comment was its got no Guts - and she couldnt get the seat comfy Many Thanks again

They have not told me just that it was the EGR Valve and that was fixed by the Engineer have been impressed By fiat customer care in Milan as they keep ringing to check if we are Happy with the service

Did you notice any power loss before this problem?

I have a power dip at around 1800rpm – common sign that egr is clogged – Not too much of an issue for me, but it’s a pain on the Mway.

However I have my Engine Management Light on now so I wonder if its related. Gonna take the EGR off and clean it anyway.

Weird thing is that the EML light has only been on since the start of the year?

P.s could a failing battery cause an EML error?

Back