Technical EGR blanking off

Currently reading:
Technical EGR blanking off

K333fer
Thanks for the info and your support, but I have to admit I have a tuning box fitted to my van, and a Piper Cross filter, which has been the best thing I've done to it.
LUIGI

Is there the slightest chance you changed the filter before you put the chip box in and checked for any difference in performance or economy?
The sales pitch mentions larger filter area and better economy with the 'washability' factor meaning you only buy one and re-use it (would a garage agree here??)

I'm tempted IF it will make a difference..

Quote:
"Pipercross panel filters are a product that is quite unique in the car maintenance market - a direct replacement, high performance, high flow air filter, that drops straight in to your OEM air filter box. No modifications needed and does not void manufacturers warranty. They offer 30% more air flow over standard paper filters. The extra unrestricted air flow decreases fuel consumption and increases power and torque output by aiding a more efficient and complete burn of the fuel in the chamber. The layered multi-density mixture of foam technology gives unparalleled level of engine protection from dirt particles. Lifetime warranty - Pipercross filters are washable and come with a lifetime warranty, so once you invest in one, your car will never need a replacement filter again! Saving the environment and your money."

Ebay e.g. here

R-V-M

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I blocked mine with an aluminium plate off ebay for £2 (used a vauxhaul 1.9 cdti plate for a 1.9 mjet), better power in the low down, and can only be doing good for the inlet manifold especially. I also had it mapped shut when I got a remap, so there's no eml, you could jus get it mapped out with no place but then you have an unfilled void in the Inlet manifold which could sap abit of power.
The egr can only give problems imo, block it off, and run a can off egr cleaner through the intake or strip and clean the manifold, you'll be amazed how much gunk is in there

Is there the slightest chance you changed the filter before you put the chip box in and checked for any difference in performance or economy?
The sales pitch mentions larger filter area and better economy with the 'washability' factor meaning you only buy one and re-use it (would a garage agree here??)

I'm tempted IF it will make a difference..

Quote:
"Pipercross panel filters are a product that is quite unique in the car maintenance market - a direct replacement, high performance, high flow air filter, that drops straight in to your OEM air filter box. No modifications needed and does not void manufacturers warranty. They offer 30% more air flow over standard paper filters. The extra unrestricted air flow decreases fuel consumption and increases power and torque output by aiding a more efficient and complete burn of the fuel in the chamber. The layered multi-density mixture of foam technology gives unparalleled level of engine protection from dirt particles. Lifetime warranty - Pipercross filters are washable and come with a lifetime warranty, so once you invest in one, your car will never need a replacement filter again! Saving the environment and your money."

Ebay e.g. here

R-V-M
I fitted the piper cross filter after the chip box was fitted, it did make a difference, engine seems to rev more freely and acceleration low down seems to me to be more responsive.
I put the paper one back in just as a test, put it this way the paper one went in the bin!
I got mine from piper cross direct for £39 and they gave me a bottle of cleaner as well.
LUIGI

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I fitted the piper cross filter after the chip box was fitted, it did make a difference, engine seems to rev more freely and acceleration low down seems to me to be more responsive.
I put the paper one back in just as a test, put it this way the paper one went in the bin!
I got mine from piper cross direct for £39 and they gave me a bottle of cleaner as well.
LUIGI

Hi Luigi,

I got my filter on Friday and went back to fit it today after a fill-up of diesel. It's a PP1803 as they recommend for the 1.3 Multijet etc. etc. and it does not fit!! I've Googled the vehicle for a Pipercross Filter and that's the hit everytime. Think I'll have to ring up and see what they say...

R-V-M

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!l8E7DPKSL7)BPDG0,HUe!~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!l8E7DPKSL7)BPDG0,HUe!~~60_35.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 46

Yup, that's the same as the one supplied too but the (paper) filter coming out of the car is not the same! Wonder how I get the exchange done based on saying theirs doesn't fit... Pictures, dimensions etc. perhaps.
Seems a bit odd that there are spaces in the PP1803 where air could just be sucked in, unfiltered. I guess with the correct box there aren't any gaps?

I'll be ringing them Monday to see what's the deal on different filter boxes.

Thanks for the pic!

R-V-M

Yup, that's the same as the one supplied too but the (paper) filter coming out of the car is not the same! Wonder how I get the exchange done based on saying theirs doesn't fit... Pictures, dimensions etc. perhaps.
Seems a bit odd that there are spaces in the PP1803 where air could just be sucked in, unfiltered. I guess with the correct box there aren't any gaps?

I'll be ringing them Monday to see what's the deal on different filter boxes.

Thanks for the pic!

R-V-M
I'll post up a pic of my air box
LUIGI

This is my engine,and the airbox is what the filter fits
As this engine is in the 500,panda and punto, have a look and see if the code is the same for these.
Just to note this engine is the mk1 jtd.
LUIGI

Attachments

• 13multijet.jpg
    13multijet.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
As this engine is in the 500,panda and punto, have a look and see if the code is the same for these.
LUIGI

Hi, How come yours seems to have a Toothed Timing Belt, when mines a chain ?? evolution maybe !! :confused::confused:

Last edited:
LUIGI

Hmm - sure that engine pic has "Lancia" writ across the airfilter box...

I've checked the 500, Qubo, Grande Punto and Panda and they all say PP1803 but deffo my filter supplied wasn't the right length (too long) and there were all those rectangular gaps in it. The full width of the front most half was sponge. I'll do a side-by-side pic tomorrow which I'll no doubt be sending to PiperCross too to find out what's wrong.

Just as an aside, why do the filter lid screws have to be SO long? Half that length would be ample!

R-V-M

Hmm - sure that engine pic has "Lancia" writ across the airfilter box...

I've checked the 500, Qubo, Grande Punto and Panda and they all say PP1803 but deffo my filter supplied wasn't the right length (too long) and there were all those rectangular gaps in it. The full width of the front most half was sponge. I'll do a side-by-side pic tomorrow which I'll no doubt be sending to PiperCross too to find out what's wrong.

Just as an aside, why do the filter lid screws have to be SO long? Half that length would be ample!

R-V-M
The engine was a representation of what my air box looks like.
Does your air box look the same?, as the later engines have a different one
LUIGI

LUIGI

It's a 2013 model. Still a 1.3 MJ and a JTD as far as I know..

Engine pics here but they don't show the filter side unfortunately. (Click on the 'Technical Data' picture)

R-V-M

Last edited:
Can you confirm the air box is the same, as the 75 in the link is the euro 5 [later engine] mine isn't the same as that one.
LUIGI

I thought about that as I wrote, re the Euro IV and Euro V specs. I couldn't locate the previous pics with the Euro IV engines that used to be there. Good reason I guess with advances (so-called).

Nice bit of red tape reading here The first doc I found related to heavy goods vehicles i.e. trucks buses etc. so I looked particularly for light goods and this is the right one. Under the HGV text it said that any vehicle [owner] not conforming to the spec for emissions was liable to a fine of up to £5000.

The application of the start dates is a bit grey though with the regulations coming in on one date and not being implemented until another. Maybe it's to permit manufacturers to use up stocks of the 'old' tech before applying the new and then from that date on, all complying.
Makes a bit of a nonsense of it when you consider all the LDVs out there running on pre-Euro I spec and even non-Euro spec doesn't it. I think my Fiorino is Euro IV as it has a DPF and was made in April/May 2013 (received June 6th 2013).

I'll do the pics tomorrow so we can compare notes :) Thanks for the info so far. Hopefully I'll find out about the possible change of airbox sizing and let Piper Cross know too.

R-V-M

Look forward to your findings, and as you say piper cross indeed will need to be informed of the changes to these engines.
These engines are pretty generic now and are fitted to various other makes and models of cars and light commercials all over the world, there must be one to fit your engine but its listed for another vehicle, then can update there system?
Would sending them your engine number help?
LUIGI

LUIGI

As promised, here are three pics of:
1. The engine bay
2. The two filters one with the original paper one in and the PP 1803 in front of it
3. The underside of the two filters showing the differences - note the size differentials too.

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

I've spoken to a guy at Pipercross - emailed him the pix and the rest is now up to them to locate a suitable replacement (I hope)

R-V-M

As promised, here are three pics of:
1. The engine bay
2. The two filters one with the original paper one in and the PP 1803 in front of it
3. The underside of the two filters showing the differences - note the size differentials too.

View attachment 145172

View attachment 145173

View attachment 145174

I've spoken to a guy at Pipercross - emailed him the pix and the rest is now up to them to locate a suitable replacement (I hope)

R-V-M
As i thought, you have the later engine which clearly has a different air box.
That engine must be in other vehicles..........but...........:confused:
LUIGI

As i thought, you have the later engine which clearly has a different air box.
That engine must be in other vehicles..........but...........:confused:
LUIGI

Have a look at this link - standard advert and easy search (I put Euro IV in the search, whether that made any difference I don't know), no weird deviations of models etc. but it's the correct replacement for my filter. Quite different from the PP 1803.

I have found the K&N filter for yours Luigi, they define that as 2007-2009 and mine just as 2009 which must mean 2009 onwards. They are the two types.

R-V-M

Last edited:
Back