Technical EGR blanking & MPG

Currently reading:
Technical EGR blanking & MPG

FatBoab

Hi,
My Y reg 1.9JTD was difficult to start intermittently so among other things I blanked off the EGR valve.
The car now usually starts OK if I wait until the flashing seatbelt warning goes out. However I'm not so sure about leaving the EGR blanked as the MPG doesn't seem to have improved, as suggested by some posts.
Do I need to disconnect the EGR wiring plug as well to benefit from improved MPG?
Cheers
FB

. . . usually starts OK if I wait until the flashing seatbelt warning goes out . . .
:confused:
Do you mean the Glow-Plug indicator, Yellow 'coil' icon?

A Diesel will start fine even if all the Glow-Plugs were duff, so if it's still not starting reliably then you probably have some other problem.

Don't expect a massive increase in mileage just from blanking the EGR, it depends on your driving style as much as anything, and if you do have another fault then that may be keeping your economy down on it's own.

Welcome to the Forum (y)

I've found no increase with in mpg a blanked egr, but be warned If I remove the blank and put back to factory, it struggles to start then won't rev well at all...god knows why..

Back