Technical Ducato 2008 2.3 electrical issue

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2008 2.3 electrical issue

stephend161

Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and new to the fiat ducato..
I am looking at a long wheel base 2008 2.3 ducato that has an electrical problem.
The problem has been described to me as this

“I went to start it after it sat a month or so but the battery was flat so I jump started it from the underfloor battery as I couldn't open the bonnet due to how it was parked... It turned slowly so I waited, tried again same thing, waited a good 5 mins and tried but had no ignition lights, found the big fuse on the battery terminal was blown so replaced that then the positive lead got hot, I traced the issue to a strange battery disconnect solenoid under the bonnet so I replaced that bwith an after market one but the two small wires going to it started to smoke. I have since just bypassed the solenoid so I could get it running and thats as far as i got.”

So firstly do these vans have two batteries?

Secondly what is this battery disconnect solenoid as i tried to google it but with no joy

Can anyone shed any light on what this could be.

Doe this problem sound familia to anyone if so any advice would be so helpfull..

Thankyou in advance

Secondly what is this battery disconnect solenoid

This is not a factory fit. It may may have been fitted as a security device on in some way to feed an additional battery. Has the van been used as a camper or workshop with an additional battery?

Mike

My apologies. I messaged they guy and he said its just the one battery under the floor and tjat he could not get to the jump points under the bonnet so this van only has one battery..
Im still miffed to this battery disconnect solenoid .

Hi stephend161

As far as I can work out, a battery disconnect solenoid is a development of the manually operated battery isolation switch or "battery master switch", an aftermarket device which some vehicle owners fit. The difference is that solenoid actuation means it can be turned on and off remotely by activating a small switch. If this switch is hidden (e.g. tucked up under the dash) then it acts as a security device.

It is supposed to prevent the starter from turning at all, whilst keeping a low current feed available to vehicle alarms, radio etc. From the symptoms you describe (slow turnover, overheating wires), I am suspicious that it is unsuitable or has been incorrectly installed. The peak starter current on these vehicles is many hundreds of amps, so any switch or solenoid placed in circuit really must be up to the job.

As it's not a standard fitment, I suggest removing it entirely and reverting the wiring to standard.

As an aside, virtually all of the jump starting cables sold on the high street are merely "booster cables", designed to quickly part-charge a flat but otherwise healthy vehicle battery. After 5 or 10 minutes, a start is usually possible, with the starting current supplied partly from the "donor" and partly from the vehicle battery. If the vehicle battery is in poor condition, you need "proper" jump starting cables made of heavy copper so that 100% of the starting current comes from the donor.

Hi Thankyou for your reply and a very informative one too..
I will for sure have a look at this “solenoid” and see what is happening..
I will post back here with my findings.

Back