Technical Ducato 2004 2.8 jtd cambelt tension

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2004 2.8 jtd cambelt tension

digger8954

Ducato 2004 2.8 jtd 8140.43 engine.

Hi all. Could someone clarify the cambelt tensioning procedure for this engine. I have read other threads regarding the replacement but am a little confused regarding the tensioner.
After replacing the belt and pulleys it seems you let the tensioner do its job and then tighten both the tensioner pulley centre bolt and the bolt holding the assembly/bracket to which the pulley is mounted. This then locks everything tight but in doing so stops the tensioner from apply any more tension should the belt strentch in any way?
Having worked on vauxhall cars for many years, the tensioners always seem to aplpy a spring tension to the cam belt thereby taking up any slack on an ongoing basis, unlike the ducato system.
My question is, is this correct or should the tensioner bracket bolt have a shouler on so after tightening, the tensioner spring assembly can still apply pressure/tension to the cambelt and not be locked in place.
Cheers, mark

Attachments

• FIAT ENGINE.jpg
    FIAT ENGINE.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 651
Ducato 2004 2.8 jtd 8140.43 engine.

Hi all. Could someone clarify the cambelt tensioning procedure for this engine. I have read other threads regarding the replacement but am a little confused regarding the tensioner.
After replacing the belt and pulleys it seems you let the tensioner do its job and then tighten both the tensioner pulley centre bolt and the bolt holding the assembly/bracket to which the pulley is mounted. This then locks everything tight but in doing so stops the tensioner from apply any more tension should the belt strentch in any way?
Having worked on vauxhall cars for many years, the tensioners always seem to aplpy a spring tension to the cam belt thereby taking up any slack on an ongoing basis, unlike the ducato system.
My question is, is this correct or should the tensioner bracket bolt have a shouler on so after tightening, the tensioner spring assembly can still apply pressure/tension to the cambelt and not be locked in place.
Cheers, mark
In short Yes you are doing it correctly.

Thanks Jackwho. Just thought i would double check as its the first time i have changed this one and i know the previous owner may not have always followed procedure. Just to add further, i did notice that the old cambelt was a little slack before i removed it which did worry me and of course give me the thoughts about the tensioner arrangement. Should the tensioner bolt be released at certain intervals in order to re tension the cambelt and if so what are the time intervals? Cheers, Mark

Thanks Jackwho. Just thought i would double check as its the first time i have changed this one and i know the previous owner may not have always followed procedure. Just to add further, i did notice that the old cambelt was a little slack before i removed it which did worry me and of course give me the thoughts about the tensioner arrangement. Should the tensioner bolt be released at certain intervals in order to re tension the cambelt and if so what are the time intervals? Cheers, Mark
Hi ,

Interesting thought.

I think probably best left as designed.

Plus By the time you have got in there enough to get to tensioner probably just as easy to put a new belt on(-:

Thanks for updates.

Pop another pic up sometime with new parts fitted if it's no bother for you.

Love pics.

Cheers
Jack

There is a guide for this in the guides section. I havnt done this job yet on mine....

I was surprised myself but it's been a bullet proof engine for decades with that design while many timing belt failures in other engines are to loss of spring tension or wear due to oscillation or misalignment due to wear or bending the belt itself is almost never the problem. Clamping it eliminates those issues.

Back