Technical DRL again

Currently reading:
Technical DRL again

Hi guys, and good morning.
When the first one blew, I went to the local motorfactors and bought two, considering that if one had gone, the other wouldn't be far behind.

I paid (I keep records!) £8.76 for the two. Can't remember the make, but they wouldn't have been cheapo discount store ones.

The RH one had gone, so I replaced it. The next one to go was the RH yet again. This time it's the LH one.

Last time we had a discussion on here regarding LEDs, this site came up and I bookmarked it for future reference.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/7443-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-580-Canbus-Wedge-Bulb.html
They work with CAN Bus stuff so you don't need a resistor or anything. They are "plug and play" items, but don't have white ones in stock at present.

They aren't E marked and so aren't actually legal, but it's a moot point whether you'll get away with them with an MOT.

Meanwhile, until I make my mind up what to do, is turn the things off.

Regards to all,
Mick.

Are the bulbs quoted in the link above actually proven to work on 500's? ,if so are these the one of a few makes (if any) that have worked fine with no canbus issues?

Don't worry chaps, I found the original thread, I don't like the sound of fitting something that could negate our insurance so I'll stick with old skool filament bulbs
mad.gif

Don't worry chaps, I found the original thread, I don't like the sound of fitting something that could negate our insurance so I'll stick with old skool filament bulbs
mad.gif

Yes, if you look closely at the ad linked to in MickF's post, it says in the small print "for off road use".

Yes, if you look closely at the ad linked to in MickF's post, it says in the small print "for off road use".

It's actually quite disingenuous, it says "For Off road use - YES" which to the casual reader would mean it's OK for off road use, not that it's illegal for on road use. It's also under "the techy stuff". A clear warning on the main page would be better. Halfords for instance clearly state "For off road use only" on all their non approved bulb web pages. Apparently they won't fit them for you either. The DTI have actually stated that they consider selling unapproved bulbs for on road use an offence, but I've never heard of a seller being prosecuted.

Robert G8RPI

It's actually quite disingenuous

My thoughts exactly, but I couldn't think of such a clever word for it ;).

The DTI have actually stated that they consider selling unapproved bulbs for on road use an offence, but I've never heard of a seller being prosecuted.

Short of going into a car parts shop & setting up a 'trap sale', I'd imagine it would be hard to prove that they were being sold for on-road use.

It's not an offence to sell them or to fit them; the offence only occurs when you drive the car on the public highway. Not sure if they actually have to be being used before it becomes an offence.

However, it would be hard for a garage fitting them to argue they didn't know they were going to be used on the road :rolleyes:.

Interesting that Halfords refuse to fit these - that, together with clearly marking them as "for off road use only" would seem to put them within the letter of the law, though sadly not within the spirit of it.

Last edited:
I finally got round to fitting the LH DRL/Sidelight bulb.

I didn't mess around with trying to do it with the wheel on, so jacked up, wheel off, covers off, old bulb out, new bulb in, covers back on, wheel back on, and lowered the jack. Took me all of fifteen minutes start to finish. (y)

It took me longer to get the jack out of the shed and put it back afterwards than do the actual job.

It was easy and quick because it was the LH side ......... and I'm very right handed.
The RH side is far more difficult for me. (Done that side twice!)

The old bulb is a Toshiba. I have no idea if it was an original as we didn't buy the car until her third birthday.

Cheers,
Mick.

The old bulb is a Toshiba. I have no idea if it was an original as we didn't buy the car until her third birthday.

Cheers,

Mick.

Yes, Toshiba was the original brand.
Replaced both bulbs in my car, had from new.
Bulb glass looked quite black.

Lars

Yes, Toshiba was the original brand.
Replaced both bulbs in my car, had from new.
Bulb glass looked quite black.

Lars
Yes, quite black.
Good to know that the bulb could well be original.
23,000miles and nearly five years old.

Mick.

Attachments

• 2016-06-25 18.30.30.jpg
    2016-06-25 18.30.30.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 32
Same here, replaced both DRL bulbs 7 months ago, but now, 12000km later the left hand one failed again and looked black again.
I had used NARVA brand bulb.

Now I bought a pair of Osram bulbs for 7,85€ including shipping on EBAY.

Lets she how long they will last.

Changing was quite easy, turning wheels to max. outside position before (left turn for left hand side DRL).

It was more difficult to unlock the bulb socket by left turn, without using a tool. My feeling was, that it seems to be easier if lamp socket is in hot condition.

Update:

Just had a look at longevity for this type of bulb in Osram database.

The 21W cool lasts statistically 250h/500h (3%/63,2% failed). Not really long...

LarsLarsen

Last edited:
Changing was quite easy, turning wheels to max. outside position before (left turn for left hand side DRL).
For the life of me I cannot see how you can even get in there with the wheel turned outwards.

I can turn the wheel INWARDS and maybe if I had very thin and long fingers, I could do it. Turning the wheel outwards just hides the whole area and there's no way into the wheel arch.

Simplest, easiest, foolproof way for me is to jack up and remove the wheel.

I wonder if there's a difference with some 500's than others. ??????

Puzzled,
Mick.

For the life of me I cannot see how you can even get in there with the wheel turned outwards.

I wonder if there's a difference with some 500's than others. ??????

Puzzled,

Mick.

Yes, this sounds more logical, but since I did the job twice in between, I do it blind. Changed bulbs on both sides without changing wheel position and my feeling was that it's easier with wheel in outside position.

I'm quite sure that we have to do this procedure frequently, if you have a look on projected longevity for this type of bulb , I'd added in my last post.

I think it hasn't designed for DRL use, but more for brake light use (21W coil).

LarsLarsen

If the wheel is straight, the cover is on the outside ........ just.
By turning the wheel inwards, the cover becomes quite exposed the further you turn inwards and you can see inside it.

By turning the wheel outwards, the cover becomes more "covered" than it was when it was straight, but getting the wheel all the way outwards uncovers the cover, but you cannot see inside it.

Removing the wheel uncovers everything and you can see everything.

Maybe some 500's are different to other 500's.

Regards,
Mick.

Just done the RH side one again today for the third time.

Bought the car in October 2014 as a three year old.
RH DRL went in August 2015 ........... and again in February 2016 ............ and again yesterday.
LH DRL went in June 2016.

When the first one blew, I called in at the local motor factors and paid £8.76 for two Lucas bulbs. One went into the RH side, and the other left as a spare, but ended up in the RH side as well. This means that the first Lucas replacement lasted six months, and the second Lucas lasted eight months.

When the LH side went last June, I bought a pair of cheap Ring bulbs for £3.39. They were such a bargain, that I bought a second pair just for spares. The first of them has lasted six months so far.

I'm getting a dab hand at doing these bulbs, but I still have to take the wheel off to get at them and use a pair of snipe-nosed pliers to remove/replace the holder. I have big hands and thick fingers.

Whole job - including getting the tools out and putting everything away - was about 30mins.

Best wishes to all,
Mick.

This reminded me; I had to replace a DRL bulb early last year - I used a non-branded 21W/5W wedge bulb, the only option from our reputable nationwide auto parts store - I turned the wheel inwards as you describe and found there was no cover fitted - oh well - then I removed the bulb and fitted the replacement.

Turning it on showed that it worked. I strapped some duct tape across the rectangular hole in the guard liner, then noticed, as I went to replace the bulb on the other side so it would match, that the new bulb had blown after a second start and about 30 seconds of operation :ROFLMAO:

Next I found a broken Nissan Bluebird Sylphy rear light cluster in my garage - had been a quick replacement for a work colleague two years earlier - I raided its bulb holders to find two suitable Toshiba bulbs.

Put one of those in, it matched the other side for dull yellowness, and it's worked fine ever since :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Back