Technical Driver's side blind spot

Currently reading:
Technical Driver's side blind spot

...I feel it prudent to mention that you have to be more careful when reversing, as posts, letter boxes etc are now hidden, although generally tilting you year side to side will spot them. I also make it a habit of always looking around behind the car before getting in and reversing. Of course, C's have reverse sensors standard, but they can still miss things.

Very true, UFI. With the mirros adjusted out like this, it is a tad harder to see for backing up (to see parking stripes, low close objects). Fortunately, this car is short enough that, as you suggest, leaning a very little bit to the left (or right, depending on which side of the pond) brings that zone back into focus.

On a related note, does anyone find the little outer mirror shard useful? :confused: For me it's so small that I really have to stop and focus in on it to see what it's showing, and that's too much attention away from the rest of the world zipping along around me.

- Kevin

Hi all,
The trick to eliminating the blind spot on almost any car is to adjust the side mirrors further out so that you cannot see the side of the car and such that cars coming up in the adjacent lane are visible in the mirror until the car is visible out the window beside you.

This is what people should be doing, but it seems the majority of drivers prefer to turn their side mirrors inwards so they can see their own car. I always assume other drivers don't have their mirrors set correctly and actively speed up or slow down to make sure my car is nowhere near their blind spot.

I find the side mirrors on my 500C to be excellent -- very wide (they must be slightly convex, I'm assuming) and you can see everything.

The only trouble I have with blindspots on my 500C is when reverse parking -- the cabrio model has a tiny rear window and that can make it quite tricky sometimes, especially with those tiny parking spaces that seem all the rage in shopping centres these days.

Last edited:
Back