General Downsides of a convertible?

Currently reading:
General Downsides of a convertible?

With small engines and not much torque you can always detect the A/C cutting in, and it does sap power, after all you are now driving a compressor off the same small engine - thunk - power sapped!

But with high torque engines, such as the TA, the compressor cutting in isn't nearly as noticeable as the torque can cope with it better. When I drove the new Panda TA I hardly noticed the A/C at all, and it was on all the time.

Same for Diesels, I hardly notice my A/C cutting in.

And modern A/C systems are more efficient than in the seventies and eighties, when small Japanese cars, although with fantastic A/C, always felt the loss of power.

Big American cars, however, just blew out icy air and you never knew the difference. I'm talking middle east here and 45+ temperatures. In those days European cars, bar the big Mercs, were useless.

But with high torque engines, such as the TA, the compressor cutting in isn't nearly as noticeable as the torque can cope with it better. When I drove the new Panda TA I hardly noticed the A/C at all, and it was on all the time.

Same for Diesels, I hardly notice my A/C cutting in..

This is possibly why the 500TA comes with climate control as standard, as I've said above there is no discernable lack of performance/MPG with the climate on. You would possibly notice it if you were always trying to get the most performance out of your engine, but then why would you buy a 500 in the first place?

Ahmett, I know exactly the effect you mean, the Ford Ka we had about 10 years ago really suffered with the air con on. However, with all the cars we've had since I honestly can't tell the difference in performance or mpg. A mate has the 500 Twinair model and drives very economically, getting 60mpg routinely. Even he says it makes no noticeable difference whether the air con is on or off.

You sure about that? My car does increase fuel usage with AC on especially in traffic! Power is noticably less so i need to rev the car higher to reach the same speed and also in gear the car slows down faster with ac on.

For those of us with HOT weather (ie 47-48 on the display) A/C makes a huge MPG difference. To everyone in the UK claiming it make no perceivable difference, it's because the A/C is only running a small fraction of the time (eg in a small car - 4MPG at a 30% duty cycle means 1.2MPG - well within tank to tank 'noise').

My best tank to date was recorded inclusive of a track day, but I'm not about to sprout any nonsense that track days make no difference to (or even improve!) fuel economy.

For those of us with HOT weather (ie 47-48 on the display) A/C makes a huge MPG difference. To everyone in the UK claiming it make no perceivable difference, it's because the A/C is only running a small fraction of the time (eg in a small car - 4MPG at a 30% duty cycle means 1.2MPG - well within tank to tank 'noise').

My best tank to date was recorded inclusive of a track day, but I'm not about to sprout any nonsense that track days make no difference to (or even improve!) fuel economy.

I think my external temp gauge has only gone above 30 once this year so we're nowhere near 47-48. I'll stick with my 'noise' usage if its all the same ;). Out of interest does the A/C cope with the higher temperatures or does it struggle to maintain a comfortable temperature in the cabin?

Well. Back to the original question I posted...the question is rather redundant now because this morning we went and bought a 500c dualogic. We pick it up next week. Three years old, 10k on the clock and seems to be mint.

There was a slight indication there may be a squeak coming from somewhere up front, around the dash area. I hope it doesn't bother us through the rest of our ownership!

image001_zps601d492d.jpg

image006_zps12d2ee33.jpg

image001_zps601d492d.jpg
a>

Last edited:
I'm glad you managed to locate a 500c , I'm sure your wife and yourself will love it . The noise you mention , is it from the passenger footwell area ? I know the fan/motor can make a squeaking type noise , ours was replaced under warranty . A very easy job I'm told if it is that .

Mark

The noise you mention , is it from the passenger footwell area ? I know the fan/motor can make a squeaking type noise , ours was replaced under warranty . A very easy job I'm told if it is that .
It was kind of like a fluttering noise, a bit like a leaf stuck in a vent or something. It's so hard to identify where cabin noises come from!

Any progress on looking at cars yet? I see one or two C's when I'm driving to and from work in Manchester so reasonably popular, but not an Abarth like mine. Hopefully one day :)

We've had our 500c nearly a couple of weeks now and, one or two irritations relating to dualogic and Stop Start aside, enjoying it very much.

Here are some of my early observations:

• We live near a flightpath, and when a jet goes over, boy are you reminded there is only a couple of sheets of fabric over your head! Other than that, I don't find the noise that obtrusive. (Our other car is a Merc E class, so some comparisons are perhaps unfair).
  • I love the sound of rain falling on the roof. (I used to have an old jag XKR convertible: I have very fond memories of lazy drives through the Lakes, a rumbling V8 and the pitter patter of rain on the hood).
  • The lack of rear visibility when the hood is down has not proven to be an issue at all.
  • Because the sides of the car remain in place, you don't feel such a ... well, you don't feel like people are staring at you. And in any case, noone can take offense at someone in a Fiat 500 in the way you can develop an immediate and lifelong hatred of someone in a sporty BMW, for example.
  • Despite the sides remaining in place, you still get a good feeling of open top driving. It's a good compromise.
  • The ability to open and close at relatively high speed (37 mph I think) is REALLY handy.
  • Our car is a bit rattly. It seems to be coming from the driver's door area or that general side area of the car - maybe even inside the door - it's very hard to tell. I am not sure whether this is related to the fact it is a cabrio or not, but it stands to reason that a car with a solid roof will be a little more solid and less rattly.
  • We paid quite a premium I guess, but i think it's worth it, it really does make motoring fun.
Finally, can I ask how other 500c owners are caring for their hoods?

I gave ours a thorough clean with Auto Glym All Purpose Cleaner and it came up a treat. It was thoroughly rinsed and dried.

I then applied some Renovo Ultra Proofer. The following day, I gave it a second coat for good measure (and it took a while to sink in because the first layer had already created a barrier).

However, yesterday there was a heavy downpour, and the hood was completely soaked. That shouldn't happen, should it?

I have an old tin of Fabsil, does anyone know if it would be OK to apply that on top?

Finally, can I ask how other 500c owners are caring for their hoods?

I would recommend using products designed for convertible fabric roofs.
I use the one from 303 Products:
http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/303_products/convertible_fabric_roof_cleaner_kit

My roof has also been protected with Nanolex Convertible Top Sealant:
http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/nanolex/convertible_top_sealant

Water beads and glides off, but if it's a heavy downpour of rain then the roof does eventually get soaked, yes.

The Renovo proofer should be fine , I use the Autoglym roof cleaning/proofer kit and it has proved very effective . I'm glad you like your 500c they really are a cracking little car .

Mark

The Renovo proofer should be fine , I use the Autoglym roof cleaning/proofer kit and it has proved very effective

Thanks. Does the rain roll off even in the the heaviest downpours or does it soak through?

I used autoglym on mine when I had one it had the cleaner and proofer will cleaning sponge in the box. It did a good job but couldn't get the green that had started to build up around the rear window and my red fabric had black mildew marks throughout the whole red fabric roof, again wouldn't clean off. But the proofer re sealed it it just wasn't a spotless finish. May buy the autoglym and use the shampoo to strip what you've already applied and re proof again. It's around £25, worth doing for peace of mind. When I owned one I was paranoid always checking for bird poop and not parking under sticky sap trees, hoping a smouldering firework didn't land on it on nov 5th, great fun car bit don't miss the up keep of the roof

Has anyone used Scotchgard on the ragtop? It's about the only product I can find locally that might work. There's plenty of treatments for vinyl tops but damn all specifically for fabric.

Back