General Door security chains

Currently reading:
General Door security chains

Davoid

Has anyone ever fitted these on sliding and rear doors? I'm looking for a simple bit of security for when I'm in the back of van with these doors unlocked to deter someone trying to open them. I know they won't stop a determined intruder but just looking for something simple to put off an opportunist thief and alert me.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 78
These look like the locks that used to be put on the inside of home front doors. They work as long as you can find adequate fixing points for them in the van. Also they have recently been banned from being used on front doors of flats/apartments in NSW , probably due to them blocking access in case of fire. Shouldn't be a problem in a van I would think.

Hi thanks. I think they're long enough to screw/bolt to metal either side of the door openings so I'll give them a go. Cheers.

As Chris says, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So they are only as strong as the thin metal you attach them to.
To make maters worse, a chain has no give in it - so when they pull the door and take up the slack in the chain its like hitting the fixing points with a very big hammer - the weight of the door itself. So I prefer to use something with a bit of give in it to absorb the shock. Like an old rubber drive belt or just a bit of rope.
Its not a bad idea to have something. Smoked glass windows only work when its dark inside and light outside. If you are sitting inside with the light on and its dark outside everyone can see you very well. Some smackheads or other unsavory people might fancy their chances of robbing you - and once they are in its hard to get them out!!

I like to have the side door open for ventilation when I have got the gas rings burning. So I have fixed a couple of lorry rope hooks with bolts and rivnuts to the top of the door. I can slip the stretchy belt over them to prevent the door being opened any further by unwelcome visitors. If you have to do it in a hurry in poor light, slipping the belt over the hook is a lot quicker than fiddling about with a chain!

Attachments

• Ducato_side_door_stretchy_belt.JPG
    Ducato_side_door_stretchy_belt.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 59
Davoid, Not sure if you considered this but I checked on my 2008 Scudo that if the doors are locked and I open one cargo door from the inside , the remaining cargo doors unlock. The front doors remain locked . So putting any kind of " security chain" at least on my van will need all 3 doors to be so fitted . Not sure if your van locking system is similar.

A followup on this subject. I have a need to keep some air flow on hot summer nights under a mossie net. so I made up some security devices for all 3 cargo doors on my 2008 Scudo. Made from Aluminium rod I had lying around and some heat shrink to minimise paint scratching. It seems to work well. Not possible to open from outside but quick release if quick exit is required even in the dark. Though the door opening is fixed, ( you can make it as much or as little as desired) it allows enough air flow but entry from the outside is impossible Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_130014.jpg
    IMG_20231013_130014.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231013_130137.jpg
    IMG_20231013_130137.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20231013_130235.jpg
    IMG_20231013_130235.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 40
A followup on this subject. I have a need to keep some air flow on hot summer nights under a mossie net. so I made up some security devices for all 3 cargo doors on my 2008 Scudo. Made from Aluminium rod I had lying around and some heat shrink to minimise paint scratching. It seems to work well. Not possible to open from outside but quick release if quick exit is required even in the dark. Though the door opening is fixed, ( you can make it as much or as little as desired) it allows enough air flow but entry from the outside is impossible Hope this helps someone.
I like the idea of a rod instead of a chain
Keeps the door in position, and prevents them drawing the door back and using the weight of the door like a massive hammer to break the chain, or more likely its fixing points in a thin metal door.
I wonder if they could reach up and unhook it from the outside? but I am probably being over cautious

I assume the long one restricts the side door, but can't see how the 2 S shaped bits work?

Last edited:
When I lock (not deadlock) my X2/90 doors and just open the side door from inside, it doesn't unlock the other doors
I don't know about other models
But I have separate protection for the rear doors - a bike lock U bolt cut in half and pushed through holes drilled in the rear door window frame
The ball elastic tie keeps it in place

There is a video on youtube that shows the X2/50 Ducato locked rear doors opened from outside with just a big screwdriver forced between the plastic door handle surround and the metal door - the metal being so thin its easily distorted. Using a big screwdriver instead of a door key. Can be done in a few seconds.

Attachments

• X290 rear doors.jpg
    X290 rear doors.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reg 65.
About your question. The 2 S shape rods are for the side doors the other is for the rear door. The doors open sufficiently for ventilation but not enough to get a head through.To remove the rods and open the doors, the doors must be closed sufficiently to unhook the rods and at that position getting a hand in from the outside is not possible. The S shape fits behind the bracket holding the rail in which the side door rolls on and the other end of the S hooks on the runner bar of the door. Sounds complicated but very simple. I also wanted a quick way to unhook any of these incase I ever need to get out in a hurry and in the dark.Same goes for the rear doors.I need all 3 secured because with my van model, opening one door unlocks all cargo doors.

I have a hook and eye, self tapped and glued one to the door and the other to the frame, (pic) on the outside with the sliding door shut, i have drilled a 10mm hole in the sliding door rail (middle) as close to the closed edge of the door to accept a large rubber coated padlock with a 9mm clasp,, which when you leave the van for the day/dayout etc it stops the door from being slid open even if the door lock is unlocked, esp when the awning is up and no one can see whats going on in the awning, maybe a bit OCD but hey ho

Attachments

• Hook and eye.jpg
    Hook and eye.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 23
Back